• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressed Shorty Bolt Action Varminter

EastCOYotes

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Feb 10, 2019
Idalia Colorado
Looking to build a budget shorty bolt action varminter that I plan to run suppressed... I need help selecting a chambering. Im currently thinking 243 win but open to ideas. Criteria below:

- 18” to 20” barrel
- 22 or 6mm cal preferred
- probably shoot 50-60 gr bullets in a 22 or 80-90 gr bullets in a 6mm
- I understand velocity will suffer
- Effective to kill coyotes out to 400 or 500 yards preferred. (Maybe that rules 22 out?) most of my shooting is within 200yds though
- Hand loading isn’t an issue

What are your recommendations? also recommendations on Barrel twist appreciated as well

Last edited:
My go-to daytime varmint rifle is a 20" SPS Tactical. I got lucky and came across one that is freakishly accurate with 69gr SMKs.

Close up the bullet performs excellent on coyotes and other small critters. However the ethical limits of that bullet are probably around 200 yards. I shot a coyote this spring at a little past that range and thought I lost it even though it was a good hit...Found the remains a week later as I was haying...it had run nearly 200 yards on a double lung.

I digress. There are some very effective varmint bullets out there, but keeping velocity high enough to perform well at dfistance in a .22 cal will require one of the .224 hot rods (.22-250/22 Nosler etc...). Speed will also be your friend as the wind is going to play hell with drift. If you are like me, I'm shooting across open hay meadows and pastures...not exactly a lot of wind indicators between you and the far treeline 700 yards away.

I don't think a 20" .243 is a bad idea if you are going to be taking a fair amount of longer shots at game.

Didn’t mention if you’re reloading or factory ammo only?

How often are you taking shots past 300-400 yards? If it’s not much, and you’re reloading, .223AI would be a decent choice. You won’t lose much with an 18-20” barrel since the small powder charge doesn’t gain that much speed past your intended barrel length anyways. Shooting 50-53gr VMax you could likely still find a solid accuracy node somewhere between 3,000-3,100fps. No dedicated fireforming is a major plus. Just load some plinking rounds and you’re good to go. As mentioned above, loading is cheap with the low powder charges.

My go-to daytime varmint rifle is a 20" SPS Tactical. I got lucky and came across one that is freakishly accurate with 69gr SMKs.

Close up the bullet performs excellent on coyotes and other small critters. However the ethical limits of that bullet are probably around 200 yards. I shot a coyote this spring at a little past that range and thought I lost it even though it was a good hit...Found the remains a week later as I was haying...it had run nearly 200 yards on a double lung.

I digress. There are some very effective varmint bullets out there, but keeping velocity high enough to perform well at dfistance in a .22 cal will require one of the .224 hot rods (.22-250/22 Nosler etc...). Speed will also be your friend as the wind is going to play hell with drift. If you are like me, I'm shooting across open hay meadows and pastures...not exactly a lot of wind indicators between you and the far treeline 700 yards away.

I don't think a 20" .243 is a bad idea if you are going to be taking a fair amount of longer shots at game.

Part of the reason I lean 243 is for effectiveness beyond 200 (I hunt open pastures and fields where 200 or further happens fairly often) Barrel life isn’t a concern since this won’t be used for high volume shooting like prairie dogs or steel. Muzzle blast would be a concern but that’s why I’m planning to go suppressed... I could go one of the 22 hot rods as well as you mentioned.

At the end of the day I’m not trying to get too crazy and go for super long distance with a short barrel, I’ve got guns with 26” barrels for the long range varminting this would be more for nighttime mobility and a truck gun.

Didn’t mention if you’re reloading or factory ammo only?

How often are you taking shots past 300-400 yards? If it’s not much, and you’re reloading, .223AI would be a decent choice. You won’t lose much with an 18-20” barrel since the small powder charge doesn’t gain that much speed past your intended barrel length anyways. Shooting 50-53gr VMax you could likely still find a solid accuracy node somewhere between 3,000-3,100fps. No dedicated fireforming is a major plus. Just load some plinking rounds and you’re good to go. As mentioned above, loading is cheap with the low powder charges.

I do reload, and shots past 300-400 are on the rare side but I like being confident I can take them (between 200-300 is pretty common though)... I hadn’t considered 223 AI I might do some research on that. I’ve got a 243 AI that I love for long range

Last edited:
I just got my barrel in for my 22-250 build and went with 18" light palma 1/8 twist. I've been planning your exact build for a long time hopefully I'm not disappointed.

What’s your budget?

Looking to try to keep it around $1000 minus the scope I’ve got most of it planned out...

- Savage model 10 short action w/ accutrigger (I’ve got spare bottom metal and mag I can use)
- Hogue stock w/ aluminum bedding block (around $200)
- Savage prefit from PVA or maybe x-caliber. Plan to head space and install at home

Go fast twist 22-250 or 22 creed best of both worlds shooting 75-80 grain pills and have plenty of energy even past 500.

What would classify as fast twist on one of these? I’m used to 1/12 or 1/14 in the slow twist factory options for 22-250

1:7 twist and 88gr ELDs from an 18” 22BR, 22 Creed, or plain ole 22-250 would suit the bill nicely IMO.

Xcaliber has a barrel sale ending tonight...

Reactions: strat81
1:7 twist and 88gr ELDs from an 18” 22BR, 22 Creed, or plain ole 22-250 would suit the bill nicely IMO.

Xcaliber has a barrel sale ending tonight...

I did notice their sale... I went so far as to stick a 19” 243 barrel in my cart but haven’t done anything yet... I’m wondering how the 87 gr Berger hunting VLDs would do out of the 243 vs the 88 gr bullets in a 22-250. The Berger bullets are pricey but this won’t be a high volume shooter

If I went 243, 22-250, or even 223 it’d be more cost effective for me as well cause ive already got those calibers and am set up to reload for them

I did notice their sale... I went so far as to stick a 19” 243 barrel in my cart but haven’t done anything yet... I’m wondering how the 87 gr Berger hunting VLDs would do out of the 243 vs the 88 gr bullets in a 22-250. The Berger bullets are pricey but this won’t be a high volume shooter
I shot those out of my factory (cut) 16.5 Rem700 out to 1,000yds and have enough energy to destroy the bullet on steel. 2980fps mv. Should be fine. It would blow the tops off of frozen milk jugs at 640yds.

I shot those out of my factory (cut) 16.5 Rem700 out to 1,000yds and have enough energy to destroy the bullet on steel. 2980fps mv. Should be fine. It would blow the tops off of frozen milk jugs at 640yds.

Are you referring to the 22 cal or 243 cal bullets here? I would be thrilled to be 2980 out of even an 18” barrel

The 87gr Bergers. It was a factory twist 9.125:1 so I couldn't stabilize the 105's. That's where my screen name came from. I made the account before I discovered I couldn't load the 105's.

I tried those first but the bergers worked better. Unfortunatly I cant get the 300's to shoot in my 338. The 285 ELD's are doing well though.

6mm/243 sorry

I did some digging and based on experience of others I think I might be able to hit around 3000 MV shooting the 87 gr 6mm bullets out of a short barrel (maybe 18 or 19”). That should get me out to 500 yards while staying above the 1600-1800 fps that Hornady and Berger state is necessary for the 87 gr pills....

I’m probably getting off into the weeds a bit, but that setup seems like it’d do everything I’m looking for

Just thought of something...I am just a target shooter. I would bet the Vmax's have better terminal ballistics than the bergers. If I was going to use it as a live animal gun I would be paying close attention to terminal balistics

Just thought of something...I am just a target shooter. I would bet the Vmax's have better terminal ballistics than the bergers. If I was going to use it as a live animal gun I would be paying close attention to terminal balistics

I read in Berger’s site that the 87 gr hunting VLDs need to be at 1800 fps or greater so that’s kinda what I’m looking at. However that 87gr VLD is more of a deer round I believe than a varmint round. I need to do more homework on how it performs on coyotes and how fur friendly it is or isn’t

22Creed

88/90 class at 3100 should be easy mode

77/80 class probably 3500+

I shoot a 25" 22LRV from WTO which is based on 6XC case. 37. 1gr H4350 gets a 95gr SMK to 3140 and an 88 ELDM to 3175 and I'm 2.7gr below where I ran my straight 6XC at

I read in Berger’s site that the 87 gr hunting VLDs need to be at 1800 fps or greater so that’s kinda what I’m looking at. However that 87gr VLD is more of a deer round I believe than a varmint round. I need to do more homework on how it performs on coyotes and how fur friendly it is or isn’t
What about an actual hunting bullet? I've never loaded a hunting bullet for accuracy. Do/can those shoot accurately?

What about an actual hunting bullet? I've never loaded a hunting bullet for accuracy. Do/can those shoot accurately?

The 87 gr hunting VLD is an actual hunting bullet, basically their normal VLD with a smaller diameter hollow point I think. I shoot the 105 gr hunting VLDs out of my 243 AI with great accuracy and great for long range work.

If the 87 groups like the 105 it should be a good performer

22Creed

I shoot a 25" 22LRV from WTO which is based on 6XC case. 37. 1gr H4350 gets a 95gr SMK to 3140 and an 88 ELDM to 3175 and I'm 2.7gr below where I ran my straight 6XC at

How about for a sub 20” barrel? Or are you saying I can get 3100 with that short of a barrel?

How about for a sub 20” barrel? Or are you saying I can get 3100 with that short of a barrel?
Subtract 25fps per inch. 20" barrel puts you at 3050 with an 88. And you have like 10% additional powder you can add. So yeah I'd say it's very reasonable to get 3100 from a 95smk

Call clayton at West Texas Ordnance. 22LRV stands for Long Range Varmint. Its pushing heavy pills at solid speeds with very very good barrel life

Reactions: EastCOYotes
What would classify as fast twist on one of these? I’m used to 1/12 or 1/14 in the slow twist factory options for 22-250
If your gonna shoot 75s 1/8 twist will do. if your gonna do anything heavier go 1/7 only issue is you might run into issues shooting lighter bullets because you can spin them too fast and the jacket sometimes doesn't hold up.

If your gonna shoot 75s 1/8 twist will do. if your gonna do anything heavier go 1/7 only issue is you might run into issues shooting lighter bullets because you can spin them too fast and the jacket sometimes doesn't hold up.
With a really really hit barrel I blow up 88s at 3175 in a 7 twist. Normal PRS not an issue. 95s I dont remember blowing up.

Berger needs to make a 90+ hybrid....

22Creed

Any idea how those heavier 22 match bullets perform on game? The steel shooter thinks the 85.5 gr Berger hybrids look awesome but I have to remind myself this is going to be a short/mid range coyote gun and I should be looking at vmax’s or varmint hollow points

Barrel length is barrel length in the cartridge sizes you’re interested in. They all lose about the same. My 20” 6 Creed goes 3200 with 87 vmax and RL16.

The 6 creed does seem like a good option for loading up the longer bullets... still good speed too

The 6 creed does seem like a good option for loading up the longer bullets... still good speed too
Im doing an 18” 6xc which is pretty close and my goal was to shoot the 103eldx but they don’t seem to be agreeable so I have some 90 tipped gamekings to try out next.

Here are some velocities, I’m taking it easy for this first test and didn’t hit pressure (thats this next weeks test) at 40 which was what I considered my previous 26” barrels max with a 105 but I would expect about 50 fps on top of this for a creed with a proportionally increased amount of powder. I think it will have plenty of speed for coyotes with a short barrel.
2A246131-1DEC-4AA2-BE14-9C9FDA3298C7.jpeg

Last edited:
I think I could get where I want to be with either a 243 or a 6 Creed, in theory I guess the 6 creed may be better for the ability to load bullets longer but I don't know that I'd have any issues with an 87 gr in 243.

223 Ackley with 75,s will kill at distances out to 500

my favorite for longer range is a 243 Ackley 20” barrel running 105,s at 3214 fps.466A58A8-C8BF-45CB-B93C-5AABF64A4E90.jpegC51FE017-DD77-4F92-B1C6-CC06B8C3A0F7.jpeg
243 with dead dog, 223 Ackley 16” suppressed

After using a .260, 243, and a .220 swift, I settled on 6br for my varminting. Hard to find a more accurate round for those distances, low recoil, lower noise suppressed. 87gr vmax and 88 gr berger varminters group at about .5" in 1 1:8 or 1:10 twist. Load development. Good barrel life.

Reactions: BallisticPrimate
After using a .260, 243, and a .220 swift, I settled on 6br for my varminting. Hard to find a more accurate round for those distances, low recoil, lower noise suppressed. 87gr vmax and 88 gr berger varminters group at about .5" in 1 1:8 or 1:10 twist. Load development. Good barrel life.

I thought about 6br... what kinda of velocities can you get with the 87 gr bullets out of a short barrel?

I've got a boner for a 6mm grendel bolt gun. A Howa mini, barrel, and bravo or oryx should be just under $1000. I'm getting 2830 fps with 90 gr sierra game changers in a 22" AR. I'm sure you could push a little harder in a bolt gun.

Loading is a super simple bushing change neck down. Resize, load, and shoot.

I thought about 6br... what kinda of velocities can you get with the 87 gr bullets out of a short barrel?

31.0 gr Varget pushing 88 gr berger #24323 =2989fps .015 off SD=2.0 Kreiger 26 1:10
31.5 yields 3039 slight;y higher SD.

30.3 xbr8208 pushing 75gr vmax 3154 sd=5.4
CCI BR4

I would expect about 25fps loss per inch, so 150-200 fps slower in a 20" or 18".

I've found the 223 to be the ticket on coyotes if the range is going to be mostly <200 yards, with some up into the mid 300s being possible but not the norm. I like the 53gr Vmax for this due to it's BC compared to the 50s and 55s.
Where I live now it's not uncommon to have to take shots routinely in the 450 range. Seems they like to hang up there due to having received some education from previous callers. For that type of shooting I've personally found the 6BR and the 6x47 to be money, shooting the 75gr and 87gr Vmax bullets. I have a longer barrel on the 6BR and a 18" on the 6x47. I shoot both suppressed and they are both very accurate. I haven't had a dog move after hit with either of them in 2 years and that's including a 612 yard shot, although that was a 6XC (shooting the 87gr Vmax), which I've since decided is too heavy for me to lug around on longer calling days.

31.0 gr Varget pushing 88 gr berger #24323 =2989fps .015 off SD=2.0 Kreiger 26 1:10
31.5 yields 3039 slight;y higher SD.

30.3 xbr8208 pushing 75gr vmax 3154 sd=5.4
CCI BR4

I would expect about 25fps loss per inch, so 150-200 fps slower in a 20" or 18".

How does 6BR perform in standard 308 based detachable mags. I've got spare factory bottom metal and 308 based mag for a savage so that's why I'm considering grabbing a savage action to start my build on. Wondering if 6BR would run fine in this?

I've found the 223 to be the ticket on coyotes if the range is going to be mostly <200 yards, with some up into the mid 300s being possible but not the norm. I like the 53gr Vmax for this due to it's BC compared to the 50s and 55s.
Where I live now it's not uncommon to have to take shots routinely in the 450 range. Seems they like to hang up there due to having received some education from previous callers. For that type of shooting I've personally found the 6BR and the 6x47 to be money, shooting the 75gr and 87gr Vmax bullets. I have a longer barrel on the 6BR and a 18" on the 6x47. I shoot both suppressed and they are both very accurate. I haven't had a dog move after hit with either of them in 2 years and that's including a 612 yard shot, although that was a 6XC (shooting the 87gr Vmax), which I've since decided is too heavy for me to lug around on longer calling days.

something 6mm with an 18" barrel is the direction I'm leaning. Either 243 or 6 Creed for a little more oomph or 6BR for knowing it should be accurate and quieter. Barrel life isn't really a concern for this but the quieter 6BR sounds nice.