• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Suppressing a 9 vs 45?

Roadwild17

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 6, 2009
Central East Texas
9 or 45 what has better performance?

In my mind, running subsonic ammo and being limited on velocity, the more mass of the 45 would equal more knock down power than the 9.

Also I'm thinking cheap bulk 230 gr 45 is subsonic where as 115 gr 9 is supersonic, this sound right?

Re: Suppressing a 9 vs 45?

Fiocchi 158 grain and any 147 gr works well in mine.

I get a MUCH BIGGER grin on my face when shooting a 45 vs 9mm with a can.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Roadwild17</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Also I'm thinking cheap bulk 230 gr 45 is subsonic where as 115 gr 9 is supersonic, this sound right?</div></div>

Seems right to me. I've been told many times the .45 ACP is one of the best, if not the best, cartridges to suppress if you want really quiet (excluding subsonic .22). Because it performs very well subsonic anyway.

Most 115 grain stuff isnt subsonic. Shoot the 147's out of your 9 and it sounds just as good as the 45's.

A) "Knock down" - consider a couple of axioms here - for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction (ie things that are shot by handgun rounds are as likely to be knocked down as those who fire the weapon); secondly what your really asking about is energy displacement. While damage can be measured in terms of ED (in practical terms, the margin amongst 9mm & .45 ACP is not worth discussing); it is more commonly contemplated in terms of the performance of the projectile - penetration & expansion. Here understand that for all practical purposes modern bonded hollow points generally perform in an equal capacity through most mediums. That said, .45 ACP 'ball' ammo is a long time proven "nothing fancy performer" that is subsonic off the shelf in 230 grn.

B) Suppression is based in part on aperture size - smaller is inherently more quiet.

C) While it will have more first round pop, a .45 ACP suppressor may be used pretty well on sub calibers. The new SWR Octane .45 is a user serviceable can that would lend itself well to use on a .22LR - .45 ACP.

D) Depending on your goal, review some data on projectiles, suppression of various cans, and sub calibers through them.

Good luck