• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressing VP9

kthomas

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 17, 2009
Tucson, AZ
Who here has experience suppressing this pistol?

I have a VP9 with a Silencerco threaded barrel, besides that its stock.

When paired with a SiCo Octane 45HD w/booster and 115 grain blazer ammo, it doesn't reliably return to battery.

I'm wondering if this is ammo related (too light of ammo?), or if this is typical of the VP9, and some modifications need to be made to this pistol in order to reliably run suppressed better.

A friend told me (HK Armorer) that the blazer ammo is junk. Underpowered. He said it’s likely the ammo that’s the problem. He said shoot subsonic ammo if shooting suppressed

I have had no problems suppressing one with obsidian and subsonic factory and hand loads. Mine started as the VP9T. If I recall correctly, there was a slight revision i the VP9 RSA to make it stronger. Think that was only a short while after the release. Do not know how to tell the difference.

Reactions: kthomas
I had a factory barrel VP9 and it was perhaps the smoothest in my stable of G17/19, Mk25 pistols. Mine would fire 115 thru 158 without problem and that's on a way old Gemtech Tundra. Great host the VP9 is but I prefer subsonic ammo while supressed unless you are just breaking it in.

Who here has experience suppressing this pistol?

I have a VP9 with a Silencerco threaded barrel, besides that its stock.

When paired with a SiCo Octane 45HD w/booster and 115 grain blazer ammo, it doesn't reliably return to battery.

I'm wondering if this is ammo related (too light of ammo?), or if this is typical of the VP9, and some modifications need to be made to this pistol in order to reliably run suppressed better.
How many rounds through barrel? Sometimes aftermarket barrels can be little wonky until worn in. I'd try 100 rds of full power ammo without the supprssor.

No issues out of the gate with VP9T and Obsidian 9. Shot 115 Speer, 124 Winchester, Igman and FC. The gun was new, cleaned, lubed and first rounds were suppressed. First 10 were singles to check lock back(all did), thereafter, all good.

How many rounds through barrel? Sometimes aftermarket barrels can be little wonky until worn in. I'd try 100 rds of full power ammo without the supprssor.

I don't shoot pistol much. It probably has a couple hundred rounds through it, but not much more than that.

I had a factory barrel VP9 and it was perhaps the smoothest in my stable of G17/19, Mk25 pistols. Mine would fire 115 thru 158 without problem and that's on a way old Gemtech Tundra. Great host the VP9 is but I prefer subsonic ammo while supressed unless you are just breaking it in.

Sounds like finding some subsonic ammo will be the ticket.

I'm also going to clean and lubricate the booster, to make sure its functioning at an optimal level.

I have a silencerco barrel in my VP9. Running a CGS Mod9 I have no cycling issues. I have a fairly early production pistol (2015ish, IIRC), and I replaced the main spring assembly at 5k rounds with the new spring, which is now the same between VP9 and VP40. The original VP9 spring was a bit weaker.

I've mostly only shot 135 Critical Duty and 147gr subs through it with the can, though. Both end up subsonic.

Sounds like finding some subsonic ammo will be the ticket.

I'm also going to clean and lubricate the booster, to make sure its functioning at an optimal level.
I usually buy whatever is cheaper but IMI 158gr., Win. "super supressed" 147gr. and my newest buy was Fiocchi 158gr. which was super quiet @850fps, PRVI 158gr. is good also. Sellier & Bellot has 158gr. as well but haven't used that yet.

No ammunition related problems with my similar barrel setup to the OP's.
IMG_2565HK VP9 with SilencerCo Threaded Barrel ACC Suppressor 04.01.22 copy.jpg
IMG_2569HK VP9 with SilencerCo Threaded Barrel ACC Suppressor 04.01.22 copy.jpg
IMG_2574HK VP9 with SilencerCo Threaded Barrel ACC Suppressor 04.01.22 copy.jpg