• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressor advice

I didn’t even look at availability yet. Leaning towards RC2 556

Yeah the QDC isn't available atm. Kac is too busy and back logged. They have paused new civilian sales until they catch up.

Just use a muzzle device with the seals and you're good to go. Personally because I know the 3 prong is good to go I would be choosing that.

Reactions: drtony
Yeah the QDC isn't available atm. Kac is too busy and back logged. They have paused new civilian sales until they catch up.

Just use a muzzle device with the seals and you're good to go. Personally because I know the 3 prong is good to go I would be choosing that.
Is the muzzle brake worth looking into or just go with the 3 prong from that picture you sent?

Is the muzzle brake worth looking into or just go with the 3 prong from that picture you sent?

The muzzle brake will probably still seal with the mount because the ports are prior to the seals. The brake will also reduce the wear on the blast baffle. It might increase back pressure but that is unknown to me, if I had to guess it probably wouldn't.

As far as how it feels while suppresed there will not be a difference between that brake and the 3 prong.

It's up to you, I'd probably rock the 3 prong. If you shoot it unsuppressed I'd rather not have the concussion of an 11.5 with a muzzle brake.

I also just like knowing for sure that the 3 prong is good to go. The muzzle brake probably is as well but the 3 prong has great data available for it on 556 and 762.

The muzzle brake will probably still seal with the mount because the ports are prior to the seals. The brake will also reduce the wear on the blast baffle. It might increase back pressure but that is unknown to me, if I had to guess it probably wouldn't.

As far as how it feels while suppresed there will not be a difference between that brake and the 3 prong.

It's up to you, I'd probably rock the 3 prong. If you shoot it unsuppressed I'd rather not have the concussion of an 11.5 with a muzzle brake.

I also just like knowing for sure that the 3 prong is good to go. The muzzle brake probably is as well but the 3 prong has great data available for it on 556 and 762.
Then the 3 prong is what I will go with if I get the RC2! I appreciate you sharing your experience.

Can you elaborate on the OSS 556

Also, IF I were to go with the sandman s, and I have a Seekins Havak Bravo in 6.5PRC with a area 419 hellfire brake. Would the sandman fit onto the area419 threads I use for the brake?

I get pretty good accuracy with KeyMo systems. Very similar to TBAC CBA's.

That's honestly the only reason I've held off so long on getting a suppressor, accuracy is a big deal to me. Most of my custom AR's are Sub 1/2 min rifles and I don't want anything to take away the painstaking and expensive systems I put together. I don't run many Lo-mass systems anymore so it won't take anything but a little gas adjustment to get them running correctly but it just seem like running suppressed is just more shit to fiddle with.

Then the 3 prong is what I will go with if I get the RC2! I appreciate you sharing your experience.

Can you elaborate on the OSS 556

Also, IF I were to go with the sandman s, and I have a Seekins Havak Bravo in 6.5PRC with a area 419 hellfire brake. Would the sandman fit onto the area419 threads I use for the brake?

The Sandman-S uses the Keymo system and can only be mounted on a keymo muzzle device.

What do you want to know about the OSS?
It's a flow through design. It has almost zero increase in back pressure. Requires no tuning(hosts can still potentially benefit from it). Will be louder to bystanders than quite a few other options but will be quieter to you as a shooter than many options without tuning. An 11.5" w/ RC2 with a H3 buffer would probably be similar to the ear but much quieter at the muzzle. The RC2 will have more gas blow back. The oss will likely have more flash if you shoot at night being a flow through design.

Basically OSS less/no tuning, less gas in face, to the shooter it sounds good but bystanders will think it's louder than many other options. Might have more flash than other silencers but the new models have built in flash hiders to reduce this. It takes oss muzzle device.

Does a DI vs piston rifle have any impact on suppressor choice or effectiveness?

Does a DI vs piston rifle have any impact on suppressor choice or effectiveness?

No. Most of the blow back comes down the barrel due to early unlocking. A piston gun will have the same problems as a tuned di gun in terms of back pressure. You can have overgassed piston guns. Quite a few piston guns come with an adjustable gas block for this reason. Selecting the right length silencer and tuning the host for the increased blow back to overcome early unlocking still applies.

I've got a Sandman S on my KAC 11.5" CQB and like it alot, my KAC dealer who is also my class 3 guy talked me into trying it out. I bought it as a placeholder until some KAC QDC's come back into the market in the next few years. As for availability now I would take a hard look at Sandman S and Surefire RC2. Alot of muzzle devices available out there to choose from as well.

You may as well skip KAC suppressors. They are tied up in providing the Marines their can for the foreseeable future so there’s no new stock of QDC cans for the most part aside from perhaps a trickle of .30 cal ones from time to time and the secondary market is sky high. By the time KAC suppressors are available again you could have been shooting a Surefire etc. for two years is my guess.

You may as well skip KAC suppressors. They are tied up in providing the Marines their can for the foreseeable future so there’s no new stock of QDC cans for the most part aside from perhaps a trickle of .30 cal ones from time to time and the secondary market is sky high. By the time KAC suppressors are available again you could have been shooting a Surefire etc. for two years is my guess.
I am realizing that the knights market is non existent to me.

I have changed my mind about the BCM. I’d really like to get another KAC with a 11.5” barrel. I think my plan for now:

1. Buy the dead air sandman or RC2
2. Get the form 1 for my KAC
3. Once an 11.5” upper is available buy it and hopefully the SBR paperwork will already be done
4. Buy a KAC lower for the 16” upper I already have.

That way I’ll end up with exactly what I’m looking for. Just not sure how long that will take… but the paperwork will probably beat the KAC parts

Or, I was considering a PWS MK111 or ADM pistol as the host. Then I’ll still get the KAC 11.5” upper when available

Or, I was considering a PWS MK111 or ADM pistol as the host. Then I’ll still get the KAC 11.5” upper when available

Good luck on the knight's upper. Gunbroker is about your only option atm. Unless you sign up at every online retailer and happen to get very lucky to snag one in a drop that's about your only option.

Good luck on the knight's upper. Gunbroker is about your only option atm. Unless you sign up at every online retailer and happen to get very lucky to snag one in a drop that's about your only option.
I hear you, that is why I think I will go with a PWS or Larue or another option until KAC becomes available again. I will submit my form 1 now for the KAC I already own and then when the 11.5" upper becomes available the SBR paperwork will already be done and ready to go

I hear you, that is why I think I will go with a PWS or Larue or another option until KAC becomes available again. I will submit my form 1 now for the KAC I already own and then when the 11.5" upper becomes available the SBR paperwork will already be done and ready to go

Do the eform 1. You'll have it done in a month or 2. Same with eform 4 on the silencer. You'll have your sbr and silencer paperwork in likely under 100 days. It could legitimately be a couple years before knights stuff is easily attainable.

PWS 11.85" with an adjustable block and an H2 buffer would probably be a good host.

Do the eform 1. You'll have it done in a month or 2. Same with eform 4 on the silencer. You'll have your sbr and silencer paperwork in likely under 100 days. It could legitimately be a couple years before knights stuff is easily attainable.

PWS 11.85" with an adjustable block and an H2 buffer would probably be a good host.
I didn't realize it would be that fast-- that is great!

The PWS really looks nice. The only hesitation I have is the KAC is so excellent, but doesn't use basic parts. The PWS doesn't use basic parts either. Is it a turn off that I wouldn't own a rifle with basic parts?

Still undecided between Larue OBR (not available right now), PWS MK111, I would also like a JP

Reactions: rheology1

The PWS really looks nice. The only hesitation I have is the KAC is so excellent, but doesn't use basic parts. The PWS doesn't use basic parts either. Is it a turn off that I wouldn't own a rifle with basic parts?

Still undecided between Larue OBR (not available right now), PWS MK111, I would also like a JP
Have you looked at any of the Noveske rifles? They make some awesome DI guns. I love my KAC CQB but I have also shot my friends Noveske Shorty rifle and wouldnt think twice about picking one up for my next SBR. Noveskes are pricey, but more available, high quality and use basic parts.

I have KAC stuff and it's all proprietary. It doesn't bother me.

For a suppressor host adjustable gas is attractive imo. Most guns are designed for unsuppressed function in potentially adverse conditions. Aka slightly over gassed. It why people will increase buffer mass, add adjustable gas blocks, etc.

I don't have any experience with Larue. I have some with a 14.5 pws. It was a good suppressor host.

That pws in combination with the right buffer weight you could likely find a gas setting that in reliable unsuppressed and then adjusts well for suppressed use.

Noveske is great but the same thing applies unless you buy a switch block model. You'll need to tune it like the bcm, larue, etc.

A 308 can is always a good idea on a 556. Gives maximum flexibility.
I’ve had great success with Rugged cans, Surge and Radiant.
Oddly - I couldn't disagree more.

I despise the mounting system on my Ruggeds and will certainly never run a 308 can on a 556 ever again.

For the OP - Take a YHM Turbo 2 or Turbo K and put a Rearden mount system on it and you have one of the best setups that exists.

You should have seen how pissed a buddy was when we put a turbo K up against his Surefire 556 full length can and it spanked its ass in quietness.

Oddly - I couldn't disagree more.

I despise the mounting system on my Ruggeds and will certainly never run a 308 can on a 556 ever again.

For the OP - Take a YHM Turbo 2 or Turbo K and put a Rearden mount system on it and you have one of the best setups that exists.

You should have seen how pissed a buddy was when we put a turbo K up against his Surefire 556 full length can and it spanked its ass in quietness.

The host matters. The turbo k isn't quiet.

Also if the Surefire was mounted to a warcomp that would another reason it didn't sound great.

The host matters. The turbo k isn't quiet.

Also if the Surefire was mounted to a warcomp that would another reason it didn't sound great.

The turbo K on a 12" LMT piston gun was massively quieter than the exact same everything with the RC2. Side by side it wasn't even close.

That said, I ordered brakes for the SF to see if the flash hider was impactful in the evaluation.

11.5” uppers are like water right now. Gunbroker isn’t his only option, KAC dealers have been getting 30 at a time.

Reactions: Clayman and drtony
That's honestly the only reason I've held off so long on getting a suppressor, accuracy is a big deal to me. Most of my custom AR's are Sub 1/2 min rifles and I don't want anything to take away the painstaking and expensive systems I put together. I don't run many Lo-mass systems anymore so it won't take anything but a little gas adjustment to get them running correctly but it just seem like running suppressed is just more shit to fiddle with.

I compete with keymos regularly and have np duplicating my unsuppressed accuracy

I shoot with Plan B type systems all the time and they are fine. The big thing I have found is once you get the gas back to awesome you might have a harmonics issue. You can use shims to move the can a tiny bit and bring back the accuracy.

I have two Omegas. They were alright when I bought them back in 2015, but I've grown to dislike them. They are a very high backpressure can. Accuracy with them on has been pretty close to the same as unsuppressed with everything I've run them on. I've ran them on several ARs, both large and small frame, a bolt gun, and a SCAR17. The ASR system is better than what people like the douche from Q will let off, as long as you pay attention when you mount it. The good news is if you don't like ASR, there is now 10 different mounting options to choose from, as it seems that the industry is slowly moving towards the Bravo/Omega thread pattern. I am currently using the Deadair Xeno system on one of my Omegas, and I like it. I like Keymo better, after having my AAC 762-SDN-6 converted.

I am moving away from modular designs and towards cans that are not user serviceable (meaning you can't unscrew the end cap or mounting system). I don't believe that a modular design lends itself to reliability under actual hard use. I have had both my omegas want to unscrew themselves with large volumes of fire. This is where you see substantial accuracy breakdown, and hopefully you catch it before you blow the can downrange. I have mitigated this by basically degreasing the threads and gluing them together with red loctite, then torquing the fuck out of them, utilizing a delrin suppressor vice block I bought from Hansohn Brothers... I haven't had them inadvertently come apart since, but I still do not trust them.

I recently just purchased a Sig SLX-C can. The mounting system is innovative while also having a taper, which should lend itself to POI repeatability. Its a low backpressure design, which is of a higher importance to me than sound suppression for use on a gas gun. It is not user serviceable and thus won't come apart, and is 3D printed out of inconel, so it should last a while. I have had a great experience with my Sig can that looks like a torpedo/buttplug, so I am hopeful. Accurate and great tone. It was between the SLX-C and a Surefire RC2, but my local dealer had the Sig can in stock. The Surefire is in the OPs price range, and is a robust can.

I recently just purchased a Sig SLX-C can. The mounting system is innovative while also having a taper, which should lend itself to POI repeatability. Its a low backpressure design, which is of a higher importance to me than sound suppression for use on a gas gun. It is not user serviceable and thus won't come apart, and is 3D printed out of inconel, so it should last a while. I have had a great experience with my Sig can that looks like a torpedo/buttplug, so I am hopeful. Accurate and great tone. It was between the SLX-C and a Surefire RC2, but my local dealer had the Sig can in stock. The Surefire is in the OPs price range, and is a robust can.
I'd be interested to see what you think of the new Sig. I've got the SLH and need to do some more shooting with it but from an indoor range the sound wasn't great. I've got one of the older 556 cans and really like it so I was somewhat let down with the new one. Accuracy was outstanding though.

Reactions: Desert_Racer
Right now I'm eye balling the

Nomad-Ti Xeno Precision Kit​

Stupid light can.... My only complaint with basically every titanium can but tbac, is they spark pretty decent depending on the can in low light and at night just a heads up.

The nomad ti doesn't too bad

Last edited:
Reactions: bigjake83
Stupid light can.... My only complaint with basically every titanium can bit tbac, is they spark pretty decent depending on the canin low light and at night just a heads up.

The nomad ti doesn't too bad
I've read that on other forums, more than likely I'll get the Standard Nomad-30 and put the E-brake and KeyMo adapter on it.

On a DI gun most cans create back pressure. An adjustable gas block will allow you tune the gun for reliable function and soften the recoil.

Last edited:
I am looking to get a suppressor for a 5.56 new rifle. I am leaning towards the BCM Recce 11.5" with M-Lok (unless you can point me in a different direction on rifles). I plan to buy a "pistol" and once I have it do the Form 1 and turn it into a SBR while I am waiting for the suppressor paperwork. I would like a suppressor for this new rifle and would like thoughts on best overall performance when budget is around $1k.

I have a KAC SR-15 16" rifle currently and I am not sure I want a suppressor on a 16" barrel, so the suppressor would likely be dedicated to the new rifle, but I like keeping options open
I love my setup, just as you described. BCM 11.5 Recce with a SandmanS. I need to get a little magnifier on there. Still savin up for my nods and IR as well but using it as is for now. You should find a buddy that has what you want so you can test drive and see if its really the right setup for you. Good luck!
2E19AA4D-5464-4F42-9D7B-B2EB31DB8210.jpeg

11.5" PWS would make a pretty nice host. Put a Sandman S on it if durability is a concern and you plan to do mag dumps. Otherwise take a look at the Nomad. I also have a Nomad TI and it is insanely light and has a really nice sound signature. Of course it's TI, so you have to keep the heat down.

If you don't want to go the piston route, I'd take a hard look at an LMT upper.

I have the silencerco hybrid 46 and use it on PWS MK111, DDM4, a Tavor, M&M M10 12”, wasr ak47, PWS Mk 216, and LMT MWS. Also have attached to 9mm handguns, but pretty big for that. I just use the 30 cal end cap for the 7.62’s and 556’s. Change out the thread adaptor going from 7.62-556. Works well

Have you looked at any of the Noveske rifles? They make some awesome DI guns. I love my KAC CQB but I have also shot my friends Noveske Shorty rifle and wouldnt think twice about picking one up for my next SBR. Noveskes are pricey, but more available, high quality and use basic parts.
I have looked at Noveske. A friend from school had several. They were all great shooters.

I would have no problem buying one, but I don’t want to go shorter than 11.5”. I wouldn’t be opposed to their 13.7” barrel, but the only ones I found were over $3k

My plan is evolving at a quick rate. I filled out the paperwork e form 1 for my 16” KAC. When I find one, I’ll buy a KAC 11.5” upper and add that to the lower I form 1. Eventually, I’ll buy a KAC lower so I’ll have a 16” and an 11.5” SBR.

In the meantime, I want to get:
1. PWS mk111 mod 2 pistol
2. ADM UIC mod 2 (12.5” pistol)
3. Radians 14.5” pinned (I would need a gunsmith to unpin it after my SBR paperwork was done and then add the appropriate suppressor muzzle device)

Question becomes, piston or DI for a suppressor

I mean it’s your money do what you want, but why do you want those? What purpose do they fill or are you just collecting?

When I look at surefire website, they have recommendations for can size based on barrel length. If I get the RC2 (11.5" barrel can), does that mean I shouldn't use it on my KAC 16" barrel? Do the other brands cans work better or worse or are they made for one barrel length vs the other?
Dont think too much into it.

I have SF Socom 556 RC2. Switches between my assorted 5.56 barrels/lengths I have from 10.3 up to 16.

All the top brand like Surefire, OSS, DeadAir, etc will all do well.

The shorter the barrel, the louder it's gonna be. Period. Pretty much any suppressor is better than no suppressor.

Last edited:
I think you're asking the wrong question. Figure out what kind of mounting system/ecosystem you want to belong to then look for a suppressor that works in that system. I like the griffin taper mounting system. Repeatable zero, solid connections to the rifle. I also like the surefire quick disconnect mounts as well. Two different systems for two different applications.

Silencerco saker 556k is what I ended with. I swap it between my mk18 and my 16” precision set up. I run a break on the 18 as a sacrificial baffle. Either take my word on that or do your own research. I have a 3 prong on the 16”. Also on the 16” I went up in buffer weight which has been discussed already the 18 got the geissele super 42 braided wire and h3

Attachments

• 864CBBE6-753D-43A5-B9A9-286DD5241D22.png
    864CBBE6-753D-43A5-B9A9-286DD5241D22.png
    682.9 KB · Views: 62
  • 2F02C6F5-7D34-4215-BEC9-DD9C857D054B.jpeg
    2F02C6F5-7D34-4215-BEC9-DD9C857D054B.jpeg
    508 KB · Views: 52
  • 329ABAB8-49FC-470F-811B-8ECCC8AAA1AF.jpeg
    329ABAB8-49FC-470F-811B-8ECCC8AAA1AF.jpeg
    510 KB · Views: 43
My plan is evolving at a quick rate. I filled out the paperwork e form 1 for my 16” KAC. When I find one, I’ll buy a KAC 11.5” upper and add that to the lower I form 1. Eventually, I’ll buy a KAC lower so I’ll have a 16” and an 11.5” SBR.

In the meantime, I want to get:
1. PWS mk111 mod 2 pistol
2. ADM UIC mod 2 (12.5” pistol)
3. Radians 14.5” pinned (I would need a gunsmith to unpin it after my SBR paperwork was done and then add the appropriate suppressor muzzle device)

Question becomes, piston or DI for a suppressor
I have the PWS on your list, it shoots very nice. I think the ADM and the Radian are really close to the same thing. I am not left handed so I don't need ambi and besides, I hate ambi.

OP needs to define is priorities, such as a combination of importance of the following:
-signature reduction (flash)
-sound reduction
-weight
-durability
-backpressure
-mounting
-length
-multiple caliber compatibility

I would offer the following general statements, without knowing what host, goal, or ranking has been assigned to those priorities:

1) do not buy a larger can with the intention to shoot smaller calibers through it (ie 556 through 30 cal). You’ll just end up buying a second can, have poor performance optimization, and compromise on length or weight.
2) signature reduction is usually more important than sound reduction for semi-auto rifle caliber firearms
3) you really need to define your priorities, because the decision tree starts to really branch out quickly.
4) read Pew Science