• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressor and baffle orientations affect on POI.

PhantomWorks

Pew-pew amateur.
Minuteman
Sep 26, 2014
Recently got myself a 22LR rifle to play around with and have been shooting it suppressed mostly but some without the can too. Did some quick ń dirty testing on groupings @ 50 yards, which I also used for scope zero distance, and noticed that the groups without was a bit tighter and a bit higher.
Did some research thru 'SilencerCo' since I have one of their cans (Octane 45 to be precise) and they had tested and showed that lining up the notch cuts in the baffles makes for higher precision and better groups. Supposedly also quieter. They also said swapping to a end cap with a smaller hole make it quieter, but read quite a few forum claims that people have not experienced the latter.

Which leads to these questions:

*How does the orientation of the 'channel' of notches affect the bullet path?
Example: if the channel are located at six-o-clock when installed on the firearm will the bullet 'pull' down or up? In other words can I tune the direction of POI by location of the 'notch channel'?
*What about stagger the baffles?
Mine got eight so stagger them 180° apart every other one would make for even effect. Or set them 90° off as you go out from the muzzle.
*Will a smaller exit opening change the loudness or not?

I'm very aware of that barrel harmonics changes from the extra weight of the suppressor also, but that will be consistent independent of baffle orientation internally. The rifle in question is a Savage Mk II FV-SR, which have a fairly heavy barrel, especially for a 22LR.

I intend to test all this in the near future but figured I'll check here with the immense amount of knowledge and experience from y'all too!

Last edited:
I can say for certain that how my notch aligned baffle stack is oriented in my can has a direct impact on my zero. It’s not much but it’s there and repeatable.

Part of the reason I’ll never buy another take apart centerfire can.

Reactions: PhantomWorks
I can say for certain that how my notch aligned baffle stack is oriented in my can has a direct impact on my zero. It’s not much but it’s there and repeatable.

Part of the reason I’ll never buy another take apart centerfire can.
Did you get data of relation of shift vs. orientation?

Generally speaking this is something that the manufacturer should know. some cans allow you to switch the directions of the baffles even so this isn't a one size fits all answer.

All of my take apart cans are built so that they cannot be assembled any other way than in alignment though.

When you put the baffles in the tube though, that notch can be at 6:00 one time and after cleaning it might be at 3:00 the next.

All of this will impact your POI.

The most critical thing is the muzzle end of the suppressor has to be square. If the end of the suppressor is wonky instead of a 1 inch shift you can get a 8 inch shift or more. When they are making welded cans installing the end cap is extremely critical.

Same thing if you mount the muzzle device (if applicable) in a weird way. I've even seen barrels that didn't have a square shoulder so that was causing big shifts as well.

A smaller end cap will reduce sound but not a ton. I've shot a 9mm can on a 22LR with the 9mm end cap as well as a 22 end cap. It will be quieter but not as good as a dedicated 22 can.

Last edited:
Reactions: PhantomWorks
Generally speaking this is something that the manufacturer should know. some cans allow you to switch the directions of the baffles even so this isn't a one size fits all answer.

All of my take apart cans are built so that they cannot be assembled any other way than in alignment though.

When you put the baffles in the tube though, that notch can be at 6:00 one time and after cleaning it might be at 3:00 the next.

All of this will impact your POI.

The most critical thing is the muzzle end of the suppressor has to be square. If the end of the suppressor is wonky instead of a 1 inch shift you can get a 8 inch shift or more. When they are making welded cans installing the end cap is extremely critical.

Same thing if you mount the muzzle device (if applicable) in a weird way. I've even seen barrels that didn't have a square shoulder so that was causing big shifts as well.

A smaller end cap will reduce sound but not a ton. I've shot a 9mm can on a 22LR with the 9mm end cap as well as a 22 end cap. It will be quieter but not as good as a dedicated 22 can.
Interesting.
My can, a SWR/SilencerCo Octane 45 (first gen, a.k.a. 'old'!) Can be configured any which way internally since the baffles have no indexing or markings. The latter I'm about to change since it's a bit of a PITA to line them up as-is.
And even with the comparative huge exit hole for a 22 it is remarkable quiet, which is likely from the fact that it have massive internal volume compared to dedicated 22 cans. My rather unscientific measurement with a dB app on my cellphone showed only 73dB at about 5 yard straight in front (and about a foot bellow) the muzzle..!
(That's 2dB less than my neighbours nailgun measured with same app/phone across the alley from our houses.)