• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressor causing more negative effects than positive...

TexasMade

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 4, 2013
Lubbock, TX
Ok I have a surgeon scalpel 6.5 creedmoor. I recently got my stamp for my surefire 762. My 100 yard zero moved about half an inch down with suppressor which I know isn't that bad but they advertise no shift and it shifted. While shooting 600 yards today my dope with a normal temperature suppressor was 3.5 mils. After I shot it 10 times or so and it got hot I suddenly had to dial 4 mils. I've NEVER had this problem before the suppressor. Point of impact has always been constant hot or cold. I also had to dial more at my 960 yard target by an additional .7 mils. Also with the suppressor it has more recoil or "push", not bad of coarse but still more. I'm not sure it was worth the trouble at all to get one. People with experience on this topic, does this seem normal?

It's weight on the end of your barrel, some shift is to be expected, they are really picky about how the brake is timed and attached in order to minimize the POI shift with SF. If you're off of their wheel even a tiny bit you have the potential of increasing what would otherwise be a normal shift. Most of the advertising I have seen on "no shift" is for their M4/5.56 Cans which are shot at close ranges, and usually within the accuracy potential of the gun. I can't say what they advertise with the SOCOM 762 as I have not seen an ad.

A quick question on your longer distances issue, did you have a cover on it, or were you shooting through the mirage of the can ?

It's weight on the end of your barrel, some shift is to be expected, they are really picky about how the brake is timed and attached in order to minimize the POI shift with SF. If you're off of their wheel even a tiny bit you have the potential of increasing what would otherwise be a normal shift. Most of the advertising I have seen on "no shift" is for their M4/5.56 Cans which are shot at close ranges, and usually within the accuracy potential of the gun. I can't say what they advertise with the SOCOM 762 as I have not seen an ad.

A quick question on your longer distances issue, did you have a cover on it, or were you shooting through the mirage of the can ?

I did not have a cover on it, I shot through the mirage but the mirage was present event without the can. Its hard to find a day in west Texas where you cant see the mirage with the naked eye much less with magnification. Do you think that the added mirage could cause that much of a shift?

Yes, it definitely could have caused the problem with your dope.

get a cover and see if it fixes it. A 6.5 being shot through a .30 cal can Normally doesn't cause that big an issue because there is more room, however the mirage that close to the scope can and will have a big effect.

Cover it and see if that fixes it first, if not you can look into other possible causes.

get a cover and see if it fixes it. A 6.5 being shot through a .30 cal can Normally doesn't cause that big an issue because there is more room, however the mirage that close to the scope can and will have a big effect.

Cover it and see if that fixes it first, if not you can look into other possible causes.

Will try, thanks!

In your findings, does a really bad mirage always make you dial more? or can it also have the opposite effect

Ok I have a surgeon scalpel 6.5 creedmoor. I recently got my stamp for my surefire 762. My 100 yard zero moved about half an inch down with suppressor which I know isn't that bad but they advertise no shift and it shifted. While shooting 600 yards today my dope with a normal temperature suppressor was 3.5 mils. After I shot it 10 times or so and it got hot I suddenly had to dial 4 mils. I've NEVER had this problem before the suppressor. Point of impact has always been constant hot or cold. I also had to dial more at my 960 yard target by an additional .7 mils. Also with the suppressor it has more recoil or "push", not bad of coarse but still more. I'm not sure it was worth the trouble at all to get one. People with experience on this topic, does this seem normal?

The part about the recoil; if you are used to shooting with a brake, a suppressor does have a little more recoil. But if you are used to shooting with a bare muzzle, the recoil with a can should be noticeably less.

Tag for later info.

In regards to barrel or suppressor mirage, I reviewed this article: Mirage - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

However, I wonder how this was adjust the image. Is it adjusting the image higher or lower in the scope? I know that the light is bent upward away from the temperature gradient, so I imagine that the image "line" coming into the scope is being bent upward, away from the temperature gradient, correct?

So I experience a ton of mirage out at distance, with the ground being really hot compared to the air, should I make an adjustment for dope? Is it even possible to do so?

Great question OP, thank you for sharing.

When Mirage from a Suppressor boils that close to the Scope, it can go all over the place. You are magnifying the Mirage by how much your scope is set too.

It's a bit different than mirage downrange which does carry the target image up and away in the direction of the wind.

But suppressor mirage is crazy bad, at the Oregon Match I showed up without a cover and even shooting inside 100 yards my target looked like swiss cheese. I was just holding center on the dots and letting them fly hoping to nick to a dot here and there. The impacts just went everywhere on their 20 shot strings they did.