• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Suppressor Covers

Hondo1

Sergeant USMC
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jun 2, 2014
    Colorado
    Been a while since I’ve shopped suppressor covers. Looking to outfit a Nomad and Nomad L bolt gun use only. What are the current recommendations?
    Thanks

My Liberty's defense has been great for being a thermal barrier, but a real bitch to get on and off. It's not a 'shoot a stage and pull the cover off' wrap.

Reactions: Hondo1
    Every time a thread like this comes up it usually results in many manufacturers being mentioned. Which should tell you many work very well.

The reason I like Armageddon is the cover tightens behind the can. Which keeps it from slipping forward. I’ve seen some others that no matter how tight they are they slip forward while firing.

For a cover on a precision gun I look for a cover that people don’t have issues with slipping. If I plan to get the can full auto type hot then heat ratings etc would matter more to me

I might be 'pissing into the wind' as we say with this contraption, kinda had an idea of making a rigid cover that would function as a mirage shield but allow the suppressor to cool , but to prevent the mirage it would vent to the sides by having a concave top . This is 3d printed to see if there is any merit to it .

30385.jpg
    302489495.jpg
    300986490_457688076373406_8010700659877422181_n.png

I might be 'pissing into the wind' as we say with this contraption, kinda had an idea of making a rigid cover that would function as a mirage shield but allow the suppressor to cool , but to prevent the mirage it would vent to the sides by having a concave top . This is 3d printed to see if there is any merit to it .

View attachment 7955100View attachment 7955101View attachment 7955105

I've handled these, but have not shot one yet.

I've handled these, but have not shot one yet.

The round tube will inevitably end up with a plume of hot air in the middle exiting near the muzzle end where the tube ends . My hope is that with those batman's ears this is avoided and hot air is kept off the middle. But could also just be a wash for no visible effect
    End product was always meant to be Carbon fiber ,but for testing 3d printed will do just fine

300822231_438300838073058_6195479751383803233_n.jpg

Last edited:
    Reactions: MarinePMI
    I use the burn proof gear covers. They are definitely not the most attractive once they have seen some heavy use, but they work well.

Attachments

• E93B9036-E24E-4292-8BFD-73AAA1AA51F8.jpeg
      E93B9036-E24E-4292-8BFD-73AAA1AA51F8.jpeg
      498.3 KB · Views: 103
    Rifles Only HAD for me. Works well and the cord can be placed so it doesn’t move forward. Worth the $. My Saker has one and the Nomad I have in jail will have one as well.

I have a rauch precision on mine, and works well and great customer service when I ordered it. Would recommend.

Underground Precision
    I looked at these. Good design and FL business
    We always appreciate the mentions fellas! Ours aren’t the cheapest but I’ll guarantee they won’t slip under recoil(as long as you read the directions and put it on correctly) and the craftsmanship, mirage mitigation, and ease of installation can’t be beat.
    4E8CDA05-A174-4FA0-BA91-5ABE5202764D.jpeg

We always appreciate the mentions fellas! Ours aren’t the cheapest but I’ll guarantee they won’t slip under recoil(as long as you read the directions and put it on correctly) and the craftsmanship, mirage mitigation, and ease of installation can’t be beat.

What temperature are yours rated for?

For everyone else.... is there a meaningful difference between something like the Cole Tac Corset (rated up to 3150*) and the Libertys Defense covers? Basically is the Liberty Defense worth the $289 vs the $125 Corset? This would be on a shorter semi AR, so heat protection is the main goal.

What temperature are yours rated for?

For everyone else.... is there a meaningful difference between something like the Cole Tac Corset (rated up to 3150*) and the Libertys Defense covers? Basically is the Liberty Defense worth the $289 vs the $125 Corset? This would be on a shorter semi AR, so heat protection is the main goal.
    Ours can take a couple of mag dumps but are designed for mirage mitigation.
    If you’re looking to do mag dump/high rate of fire stuff consistently, don’t buy a nylon cover at all. I think the liberty and burn proof use nomex or something similar that literally will not burn. That’s the way you should go if you want to put a lot of rounds down range quickly. I use our covers on our carbines and never have a problem but I don’t ever do multiple mag dumps. Sure I’ll send 15/20 quickly every now and then but its not something I’m going to do all day every day.

I could pick out our inner sleeving which is rated in the thousands of degrees and come out with a claim that “our sleeving is rated up to 2000°” but that’s marketing BS. If it has a nylon shell it will fail pretty quickly after a few mag dumps, especially if retention is achieved(or attempted) by cinching a cord or Velcro strap tightly around the cover. That’s going to transfer the heat to the nylon really quickly. Search “burned suppressor cover” on Google or YouTube and you’ll see they typically fail where the cord/straps are cinched tight around the can. Ours do not need to be super tight because of the way the cord wraps behind the suppressor so that makes them better than most nylon covers at surviving abuse. That being said, on a short AR I would limit yourself to one mag dump before cooling on any nylon cover. It’s just physically impossible to not overheat the nylon at some point bc all you can do is keep the heat at bay.

Just pick the right tool for the job. Im comfortable claiming ours will mitigate mirage better than any cover out there. Liberty or burn proof are going to resist burning better than any nylon cover ever could. Whether or not the extra money is worth it depends on what you plan to do with it.

Ours can take a couple of mag dumps but are designed for mirage mitigation.
    If you’re looking to do mag dump/high rate of fire stuff consistently, don’t buy a nylon cover at all. I think the liberty and burn proof use nomex or something similar that literally will not burn. That’s the way you should go if you want to put a lot of rounds down range quickly. I use our covers on our carbines and never have a problem but I don’t ever do multiple mag dumps. Sure I’ll send 15/20 quickly every now and then but its not something I’m going to do all day every day.

I could pick out our inner sleeving which is rated in the thousands of degrees and come out with a claim that “our sleeving is rated up to 2000°” but that’s marketing BS. If it has a nylon shell it will fail pretty quickly after a few mag dumps, especially if retention is achieved(or attempted) by cinching a cord or Velcro strap tightly around the cover. That’s going to transfer the heat to the nylon really quickly. Search “burned suppressor cover” on Google or YouTube and you’ll see they typically fail where the cord/straps are cinched tight around the can. Ours do not need to be super tight because of the way the cord wraps behind the suppressor so that makes them better than most nylon covers at surviving abuse. That being said, on a short AR I would limit yourself to one mag dump before cooling on any nylon cover. It’s just physically impossible to not overheat the nylon at some point bc all you can do is keep the heat at bay.

Just pick the right tool for the job. Im comfortable claiming ours will mitigate mirage better than any cover out there. Liberty or burn proof are going to resist burning better than any nylon cover ever could. Whether or not the extra money is worth it depends on what you plan to do with it.

Always appreciate the honesty.

I melted the straps on my Armageddon, picked up a Rifles Only HAD... it's been good so far.

I have an Armageddon cover and am happy with it. Ordered another one and they've updated them. My old one had a wool type interior, and new one is more of a nylon type material.

Also like the TabGear with the bunge.

Agree, the HAD is pretty nice. Not a single criticism on mine. That being said, when my nomad gets sprung from jail I’m probably going to go Precision Underground. The design looks good and they’re in my state.

For suppressor covers I have a Precision Underground, an RO MAD, and an RO HAD.

They are all great suppressor covers. For a precision rifle, I give the edge to the Precision Underground, it's very well designed and made, really like how the wrap is laced, great retention and easy on and off. The MAD is nice as well, but the small nuances between the design and overall quality puts the PU a notch above.

The HAD is great for a suppressor cover that needs to survive a bit more abuse. It's fairly heavy, a bit overkill for a bolt action, IMO.

For suppressor covers I have a Precision Underground, an RO MAD, and an RO HAD.

They are all great suppressor covers. For a precision rifle, I give the edge to the Precision Underground, it's very well designed and made, really like how the wrap is laced, great retention and easy on and off. The MAD is nice as well, but the small nuances between the design and overall quality puts the PU a notch above.

The HAD is great for a suppressor cover that needs to survive a bit more abuse. It's fairly heavy, a bit overkill for a bolt action, IMO.
    Agreed, the PU will spend time on my bolt