• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Suppressor Destruction

Longshot231

Four Star General
Minuteman
  • Mar 8, 2018
    I was asked the question about the correct method of destroying a suppressor. The main point of the discussion was what if the owner didn't want it anymore but didn't want to merely give it to the ATF or sell it to another individual?

If the owner wanted to destroy the suppressor what is considered the correct method? After it is destroyed can they just toss the remnants in the trash? Any reporting procedure?

The ATF publishes prescribed methods for destroying firearms and machine guns but I could not find anything on suppressors.

Asking for a friend.

PS: The ATF told the owners of the bump stocks how to destroy them but why not suppressors (if a person wished to do that)?

As an individual, you pretty much need to cut the unit lengthwise with a torch. Normally, removal of 1/2" of metal is required (to make rewelds difficult). As baffles are restricted parts, they all need to be destroyed. ATF gets notification in writing, with photos and a copy of the registration. You'll get a returned note indicating the item has been removed from the registry. At that point, it's scrap metal, do whatever you want with it.

As an individual, you pretty much need to cut the unit lengthwise with a torch. Normally, removal of 1/2" of metal is required (to make rewelds difficult). As baffles are restricted parts, they all need to be destroyed. ATF gets notification in writing, with photos and a copy of the registration. You'll get a returned note indicating the item has been removed from the registry. At that point, it's scrap metal, do whatever you want with it.

Thanks for the information. Can you link this to any ATF source document?

No, it's just industry standard for destruction. 1/2 inch of metal removed by torch cut. In MG's and DD's, three cuts, diagonal, gutting through barrel threads or high pressure bearing areas. Many guns have diagrams for the cuts, but not everything does.

I saw where ATF accepted a suppressor crushed in a press as approved destruction. I can't remember where it was, or where I saw it, so don't take my word for it.

Reactions: HansohnBrothers
    That would also work, if the full length was crushed flat. I can't really see an upside to destruction though. Someone will buy it for the cost of a tax stamp. If not, it does not take up much space and there is no continuing cost to ownership. Heirs get it transferred tax free from the estate. What more work than it's worth if you ask me.

Hold the phone.

Your friend doesn't want a suppressor anymore and intends to destroy it?

.......why????

I don’t know. Maybe he’s afraid they will get banned and doesn’t want to give them to the government.

I realize that selling it outright is a definite ATF No-No with prison time for the purchaser and possible prison time for the seller, but has anyone considered going through the process with ATF for a transfer sale (including a new tax stamp and of course all the accompanying required paper work.)

Reactions: Newbie2020
    I split a can tube once and the manufacturer replaced it with a new one. I had the manufacturer cut off threads and end cap to keep anyone from using it. When I called ATF to remove from registry, they told me it had to be crushed all the way down to remove. I decided to just keep it as a paper weight.

Attachments

• 30ps split.jpg
      30ps split.jpg
      132.2 KB · Views: 120
    • 30ps threads cut off.jpg
      30ps threads cut off.jpg
      202.3 KB · Views: 101
    • 30ps end cap cut off.jpg
      30ps end cap cut off.jpg
      186.2 KB · Views: 118
    So, now im curious. What happens if a can is lost... like oops it feel overboard in a fishing accident.. but for real?

Reactions: Longshot231
    I split a can tube once and the manufacturer replaced it with a new one. I had the manufacturer cut off threads and end cap to keep anyone from using it. When I called ATF to remove from registry, they told me it had to be crushed all the way down to remove. I decided to just keep it as a paper weight.

What I am curious about is there any ATF rule that says the owner has to tell the ATF that the can is destroyed.

What a great pun...”but for real?”
    See. Thats why i always tie a string on mine when boating. Nobody is gonna believe it.... so what hypothetically would happen to said clumsy well armed fishermen? I dont plan on losing anything in boating accidents by the way.... swimming is about survival for me.

Reactions: Dead Eye Dick
    Just considering the option of destruction like the bump-stocks. Everyone complied with that order; correct?
    Why not just sell it to a local Class III dealer? He can make some money back off of it, and at that point, it's legally registered to someone else.

I look at it this way, rule or no rule. If you destroyed it and threw it away. Then yes you would want/have to show ATF it is no longer in your possession and end the paper trail on that suppressor. If destroyed and kept in your possession, then your still in possession and it wouldn't matter. Bottom line comes down to possession, not rather its destroyed or not. I would think there is a rule in there on the possession part, that's why they are registered

Last edited:
    Why not just sell it to a local Class III dealer? He can make some money back off of it, and at that point, it's legally registered to someone else.
    Sounds like the best option. Why not make some money on it rather than just destroying it.

Reactions: FuhQ
    rather than in a boating accident,for real. how about you remove the can to let it cool farther at the range and leave it? It did not happen to me but I was at a range and a shooter did leave the can on the shooting platform. i guess he remembered and came back about 10 minutes later. But if he had not? and someone picked it up and left with it?

ATF trying to copy/paste answers from here into their law book. Good try atf

Why not just do a bunch of mag dumps, or fire a few oversized rounds through it first like the 9mm banish guy? At least make the destroying part fun.

• Haha
    Reactions: FuhQ