• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Its a bird, its a plane....oh, no...its my F'ing suppressor

Been there done that got the merit badge. SilencerCo Saker not secure on a QD mount.

Reactions: Baron23
To be fair, launching the suppressor is factory recommended as dismount procedure for several stuck cans from Surefire and I think the old KAC QDSS NT4

• Haha
Can't believe you had the stones to screw it back on and put more rounds through it after a first round launch and hours of searching.... at that point I'm calling it a day!

glad you found it and everything will work out.

Fortunately only a 22LR, just fell off the front of the rifle.....
Baffles.jpg

• Wow
May this serve as a cautionary lesson to you folks even though this sad little tale does not reflect at all well on my intelligence. LOL

I had just got my suppressor out of jail after 13 months. It’s an Ultra 7 in 6.5mm. And yes, this is the first suppressor I have owned (or used) in my 70 years of life.

I take the fairly new gun (Altus BA in a JAE) and suppressor to the range today to check zero, eye relief, comb height from prone position as we will be in PA soon for a four day SH clinic with Frank/Marc, blah, blah, blah.

I’m a bit distracted by some other fellas while screwing on my Ultra 7 and didn’t notice that underneath the suppressor the Rifles Only cover’s retention lanyard had gotten between the suppressor and the Area 419 uni adapter shoulder. It didn’t help that it was 104F out (real feel…and yeah, it felt real) and I was shvitzing like a fat man in a Russian bath house. It didn’t seem like the U-7 screwed on enough turns but I took the 419 wrench and gave it a tug, it seemed to be tight. So I dropped down and sent the first shot.

Well, I immediately heard a very loud report, felt a lot of muzzle blast, looked up and there was no suppressor on the end of my gun.

I shot it down range. :eek:

I thought surely I would find it laying on the grass maybe 3-4 yards down range, maximum. It wasn’t there.

This is a 10 bench only range with a berm and 10 backers at 100 yds at the same elevation as the shooting positions and a smaller berm with 5 backers at 50 yards which is maybe 10-12 feet lower than the shooting position/100 yard berm elevation. So, not seeing my suppressor I kept walking toward my 100 yard target on the far left of the range. And kept walking and looking…walking and looking…walking all the way along my POA to my 100 yard target and still no suppressor!! I spent 45 minutes looking everywhere and nada. WTF.

By this point I’m really sweating bullets and panicking a bit….I have to find this NFA item. One, because I def don’t want to do the dance with ATF again on a new suppressor (and yeah, the $1K is a factor there also) and two, because someone will be mowing that grass and eventually find the can…with their blades. No bueno, that. So, I called up to the shotgun range house where my good friend @GBMaryland was RO for the day. And another fella showed up to shoot and was nice enough to help us look…well, since we were downrange and not leaving until we found the suppressor, he really didn’t have much of a choice but he really was quite willing to be helpful and I appreciated it very much

The three of us looked for it for at least an hour; utterly baffled as to why we STILL couldn’t find it on fairly recently mowed grass square range. And, as part of this we did indeed look along the side of the higher vegetation around the sides of the range, sides of the berms, etc., figuring perhaps that thing really did roll all the way downhill to the low point at the 50 yard line and was stopped by vegetation.

The result…..no talley, no joy, no suppressor. 🤯🤬

I’m looking at my search party and can tell that their motivation had waned significantly and they were about to bag it. So, I took one more trip down range toward my 100 yard target and as I’m passing some high vegetation on the left end of the 50 yard berm, on a whim I started kicking and stirring a couple of feet back from the edge and voila’….I finally found it….50 yards down range in some high weeds!! 50 yards in the air. It didn’t roll there…it was in the middle of a patch of high weeds. It FLEW there.

Now, the terrain drops maybe 10-12 feet to the 50 yard line where I found it so it was a minimum of 35 yards total of actual flight path (can’t believe I’m writing flight path and suppressors in the same paragraph LOL).

And, an Ultra-7 with a 419 Hellfire mount weighs 9 7/8 oz. And it flew at least 35 yards horizontal.

Examining it at the range, it looked like I was lucky and just grazed one baffle…so I looked down the bore, it looked all lined up still, there were no cracks or bulges in the tube at all, so I shot a few more rounds with no issues. But, when I got home I put a Teslong bore scope in there and yep…struck every baffle and a bit of the end cap. Very small chips taken out…but nonetheless. So, I took pics, reached out to TBAC on a Sunday evening with my figuring that they will see it the next morning when they come in. Well, TBAC has GREAT customer focus and @Zak Smith replied to me that night and in his opinion the suppressor is fine and will function perfectly….just don’t do it again (sigh..haha). In discussion with TBAC, if I did want it repaired, it would essentially be an almost all new suppressor just with the serial numbered tube retained (and maybe some other bits…but mostly a fork lift upgrade).

Below are five pictures of the baffles going from muzzle end to pic 5 being the end cap. And I hope this little story of woe was at least mildly interesting.

View attachment 7919666
View attachment 7919667
View attachment 7919668
View attachment 7919669
View attachment 7919670

Thanks for posting since any bit of caution might help someone else. This is a lot less traumatic than a 6.5 can on your .308 type of thing.

May not have launched a suppressor but I flew a Muzzle Brake that used set screws to clamp on the 6.5 Creedmoor barrel. It went about 30 yards.

May not have launched a suppressor but I flew a Muzzle Brake that used set screws to clamp on the 6.5 Creedmoor barrel. It went about 30 yards.
Only 30 yards? You're underachieving, mate (joking, of course).

I do think that if we put some fins on the back of the Ultra-7 and ensure that we have a forward CG, that I could make 100 yards with the right elevation! haha

Good god, I sure don't want to actually find out. I was very lucky my lack of attention to detail didn't result in a greater incident.

You should see a blank firing adapter whizz away when you shoot a live round behind it

• Haha
Reactions: FuhQ
How far could you get it? Think you could make 100 yards? haha

However, we are talking about two very different masses here...sort of like trying to catapult launch a B-52 vs a Piper Cub. LOL
Been a few instances in a past life. They all had a mindset of their own for sure.

• Haha
I launched my silencerco specwar first time out. It was my second can, my first being a tbac with taper mount and I forgot/didn’t think to turn the lock on the silencerco.

definitely a heart sinking experience. Mine turned out ok. Just a small mark on the end cap.

This is why I do direct thread only, a smidge past hand tight with a wrench and a silver Sharpie witness mark so I can very easily see from my shooting position if the can has moved. Between the ATF bullshit and the money, I don't mind spending an extra 30 seconds spinning the can on or off.

Reactions: TACC
How far could you get it? Think you could make 100 yards? haha

However, we are talking about two very different masses here...sort of like trying to catapult launch a B-52 vs a Piper Cub. LOL
This story will be a primary source of amusement at the evening events at class in September

• Love
Reactions: GBMaryland
This is why I do direct thread only, a smidge past hand tight with a wrench and a silver Sharpie witness mark so I can very easily see from my shooting position if the can has moved. Between the ATF bullshit and the money, I don't mind spending an extra 30 seconds spinning the can on or off.
Ok, I get the witness mark and that's a great idea and I plan to do the same. Thanks.

But I don't see any different between screwing the can onto the muzzle threads directly or onto the threads of a CB brake (for TBAC) or similar (like 419 Hellfire stuff). Threads is threads but if I bugger the threads on the muzzle that's one level of work to repair vs buggering threads on a brake adapter which is much easier and less costly to resolve.

Yes, there is the potential for tolerance stacking when using any sort of adapter or mounts but given the state of CNC machining these days (think pre-fit barrels), that seems to be no longer a significant concern.

Cheers and thanks for the idea of the sharpie witness mark.

Reactions: Steel+Killer
That’s a ton better than what I was expecting you to say.
When I saw it was a 6.5 can I just knew you screwed it on a 30 cal rifle.

• Haha
That’s a ton better than what I was expecting you to say.
When I saw it was a 6.5 can I just knew you screwed it on a 30 cal rifle.
Nay, nay......I fucked up pretty good but not that bad! haha

Cheers

I had to have TBAC cut my barrel and machine the barrel out of my can because a smith/machinist didn't cut the threads correctly and my can stuck on.

Added: It wasn't TBAC that threaded my barrel, it was someone else. TBAC made the process easy for me and the cost was surprisingly not bad at all.

Last edited:
Simpler mounting devices seem less prone to being launched, which is why I went with the Plan B style system for my wife and her cans. I knew if she launched a can down range, it would immediately ruin it for her.

The mounts with more mounting steps involved invoke more possibility of mistakes, and thus can launching. Of course, some mounts are better designed than others and are less prone to introducing human error into the equation. I believe the ASR mount, which is what came with my wife's can, is one of the ones that are more easily launched through simple mounting mistakes.

But no mounting system is immune from being launched if a mistake is made such that a suppressor cover thread makes its way behind the threads. In that case, the simple threading type mounts are probably a lot more likely to launch.

Good reminder that little details like this matter. I'll certainly keep this story in mind every time I mount my suppressors now 😝

I've heard/ seen two separate people in the span of two weeks (one of which is a good friend) yeet TBAC SR cans down range. The one that sent his 338 ultra sr down range didn't make it to low orbit and I watched it happen. It went 5 yards in front of the firing line. The other went 30 yards, I think that one was a dominus k SR.

Currently waiting on my magnus sr so I can see if I can make it 110 yards down range with it 😂

• Haha
I've heard/ seen two separate people in the span of two weeks (one of which is a good friend) yeet TBAC SR cans down range. The one that sent his 338 ultra sr down range didn't make it to low orbit and I watched it happen. It went 5 yards in front of the firing line. The other went 30 yards, I think that one was a dominus k SR.

Currently waiting on my magnus sr so I can see if I can make it 110 yards down range with it 😂

What was the cause of those incidents?

What was the cause of those incidents?
The 338 can, collar wasn't locked down. Dominus K, I heard a couple different reasons but I wasn't there to ask the guy so I don't really know.

Reactions: kthomas
The 338 can, collar wasn't locked down. Dominus K, I heard a couple different reasons but I wasn't there to ask the guy so I don't really know.

Exactly why I didn't get my wife a mounting system that could be launched moderately easily through user error.

Secondary retention certainly has its place, but it seems more prone to operator induced error.

Simply not locking the collar shouldn't cause a SR mount to loosen.

For those running ASR/HUB, I do like the Rearden parts that @kthomas has recommended. They're simple, high-quality, and not stupidly expensive.

Reactions: kthomas
May this serve as a cautionary lesson to you folks even though this sad little tale does not reflect at all well on my intelligence. LOL

I had just got my suppressor out of jail after 13 months. It’s an Ultra 7 in 6.5mm. And yes, this is the first suppressor I have owned (or used) in my 70 years of life.

I take the fairly new gun (Altus BA in a JAE) and suppressor to the range today to check zero, eye relief, comb height from prone position as we will be in PA soon for a four day SH clinic with Frank/Marc, blah, blah, blah.

I’m a bit distracted by some other fellas while screwing on my Ultra 7 and didn’t notice that underneath the suppressor the Rifles Only cover’s retention lanyard had gotten between the suppressor and the Area 419 uni adapter shoulder. It didn’t help that it was 104F out (real feel…and yeah, it felt real) and I was shvitzing like a fat man in a Russian bath house. It didn’t seem like the U-7 screwed on enough turns but I took the 419 wrench and gave it a tug, it seemed to be tight. So I dropped down and sent the first shot.

Well, I immediately heard a very loud report, felt a lot of muzzle blast, looked up and there was no suppressor on the end of my gun.

I shot it down range. :eek:

I thought surely I would find it laying on the grass maybe 3-4 yards down range, maximum. It wasn’t there.

This is a 10 bench only range with a berm and 10 backers at 100 yds at the same elevation as the shooting positions and a smaller berm with 5 backers at 50 yards which is maybe 10-12 feet lower than the shooting position/100 yard berm elevation. So, not seeing my suppressor I kept walking toward my 100 yard target on the far left of the range. And kept walking and looking…walking and looking…walking all the way along my POA to my 100 yard target and still no suppressor!! I spent 45 minutes looking everywhere and nada. WTF.

By this point I’m really sweating bullets and panicking a bit….I have to find this NFA item. One, because I def don’t want to do the dance with ATF again on a new suppressor (and yeah, the $1K is a factor there also) and two, because someone will be mowing that grass and eventually find the can…with their blades. No bueno, that. So, I called up to the shotgun range house where my good friend @GBMaryland was RO for the day. And another fella showed up to shoot and was nice enough to help us look…well, since we were downrange and not leaving until we found the suppressor, he really didn’t have much of a choice but he really was quite willing to be helpful and I appreciated it very much

The three of us looked for it for at least an hour; utterly baffled as to why we STILL couldn’t find it on fairly recently mowed grass square range. And, as part of this we did indeed look along the side of the higher vegetation around the sides of the range, sides of the berms, etc., figuring perhaps that thing really did roll all the way downhill to the low point at the 50 yard line and was stopped by vegetation.

The result…..no talley, no joy, no suppressor. 🤯🤬

I’m looking at my search party and can tell that their motivation had waned significantly and they were about to bag it. So, I took one more trip down range toward my 100 yard target and as I’m passing some high vegetation on the left end of the 50 yard berm, on a whim I started kicking and stirring a couple of feet back from the edge and voila’….I finally found it….50 yards down range in some high weeds!! 50 yards in the air. It didn’t roll there…it was in the middle of a patch of high weeds. It FLEW there.

Now, the terrain drops maybe 10-12 feet to the 50 yard line where I found it so it was a minimum of 35 yards total of actual flight path (can’t believe I’m writing flight path and suppressors in the same paragraph LOL).

And, an Ultra-7 with a 419 Hellfire mount weighs 9 7/8 oz. And it flew at least 35 yards horizontal.

Examining it at the range, it looked like I was lucky and just grazed one baffle…so I looked down the bore, it looked all lined up still, there were no cracks or bulges in the tube at all, so I shot a few more rounds with no issues. But, when I got home I put a Teslong bore scope in there and yep…struck every baffle and a bit of the end cap. Very small chips taken out…but nonetheless. So, I took pics, reached out to TBAC on a Sunday evening with my figuring that they will see it the next morning when they come in. Well, TBAC has GREAT customer focus and @Zak Smith replied to me that night and in his opinion the suppressor is fine and will function perfectly….just don’t do it again (sigh..haha). In discussion with TBAC, if I did want it repaired, it would essentially be an almost all new suppressor just with the serial numbered tube retained (and maybe some other bits…but mostly a fork lift upgrade).

Below are five pictures of the baffles going from muzzle end to pic 5 being the end cap. And I hope this little story of woe was at least mildly interesting.
I had a similar experience ... shared it HERE a while back. Nothing is more embarrassing than calling a "Cease-Fire" on the range to retrieve your suppressor that's buried in the sand 20 yards in front of the firing line.

• Haha
I had a similar experience ... shared it HERE a while back. Nothing is more embarrassing than calling a "Cease-Fire" on the range to retrieve your suppressor that's buried in the sand 20 yards in front of the firing line.

Luckily I was the only one on the range until this fella, Dan, showed up and he had to help look cause we were down range and not leaving until we found the sucker.

Did you have baffle strikes, if so…how bad or were you able to shoot it as is?

""Wow, that only took a couple of rotations ... I'm sure it's fine."

The exact thought that went thru my mind...."gee, screwing it on seemed quick, let's send it" FFS...and yes, its very embarrassing.

I'm lucking that the damage to my can, as shown in the pics above, was so minor as to not impact function/performance per TBAC and their recommendation is to just shoot it. I can always send in it some time but they will basically have to replace almost the entire can except for the tube and the CB mount. All the baffles and the end cap have that very small chip and it seems to shoot just as it did before.

Its not a lesson I will forget anytime soon.

P.S. - just had a chance to read your linked post and yes the answer to my redundant question was in there. Sorry :cool:

Cheers to you, Gunny.

Shoot. Had a fresh sandman K out of jail. Mounted the keymo adapter on my mk18. First shot. Thump. Launched it 75 yards into the brush. The can was found unscathed. Come to find out keymo mount was out of spec. They sent a replacement was never an issue again.

• Wow
Shoot. Had a fresh sandman K out of jail. Mounted the keymo adapter on my mk18. First shot. Thump. Launched it 75 yards into the brush. The can was found unscathed. Come to find out keymo mount was out of spec. They sent a replacement was never an issue again.
75yds!! Dang, dude. I only got mine out to 50 yds.

Maybe if I cranked in more elevation I can hit a 100 next time. Lol

I’m very glad that both of our cans ended up ok.

Didn’t strike anything in there at all. Not even a little strike like I had?

No strike. Nothing, landed in the woods. Maybe a scuff. My buddy was laughing his ass off.

No strike. Nothing, landed in the woods. Maybe a scuff. My buddy was laughing his ass off.
Not trying to pester you...just curious. Did you run a bore scope down it? I couldn't see the little chips (and they were small) out of the baffles until I used a scope.

I guess the gas blast was enough to launch it 75 yards.

Again, glad your can is ok...as for me, I intend to never do this again (famous last words haha)

No, i just a plain quick visual inspection. i think what saved mine was it was a 30cal with a 30 cal end cap on a 5.56 rifle

No, i just a plain quick visual inspection. i think what saved mine was it was a 30cal with a 30 cal end cap on a 5.56 rifle
Ah yes....I have a 6.5 can on a 6.5 barrel and I do believe that if it was a 30 cal can that I may have not had even the very little damage that I did experience.

Cheers and thanks for the reply.

Reactions: Riverlife87