• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Suppressors Suppressor High Temp Cover or Not

HowiePb82

Private
Minuteman
Sep 21, 2018
Hey guys, I just got new TBAC suppressor for bolt gun... Do you think a Rifles Only HAD or Cole-TAC HTP (High Temp)cover would be better choice or Armageddon Gear or Standard Cole-TAC python cover would be better? If the High temp covers contain heat well will it take longer to dissipate the heat. What do you guys use and suggest?

For the typical bolt gun use a standard suppressor cover is just fine. I use the Armageddon Gear cover on mine and have shot 30 round fast strings at matches with no damage/melting. All told, over 3000 rounds through with no damage.

I’ve seen reports/complaints from a few saying that theirs melted under regular use on a bolt gun, but I’ve just not seen any evidence that is the case. And we shoot in the hot Florida sun all year long.

Reactions: HowiePb82
I melted my Armageddon Gear cover using an Ultra 7 on 6.5 SAUM. Was doing load development and decided to end the day with a 10 shot string that wasn't even shot that fast. Maybe a shot every 8 - 10 seconds. Melted a hole through it and destroyed the shock cord. The inside of the cover is now flaking apart. I'm probably going to look for a high heat replacement. I DON'T think that caliber / suppressor is normal use though. So for the OP, I think your decision depends on what caliber and how you plan on using it.

My TAB gear cover has some damage that looks like melting, and wasn’t great at stopping the mirage. I recently got a high heat cover from Black Hills Gear, and it seems far more robust. I saw no mirage from the hot can. The high heat material is grippy so it doesn’t slide around and makes it easy to remove the can from the rifle without charred skin.

I've got a sample size of one, and it didn't hold up. I replaced the shock cord and glued the hole closed, but will still have to replace it soon.

IMG_2986 copy.jpg

TBAC didn’t last long. Sent a picture to them and asked about warranty on the cover. Crickets.....
1FAB293C-DE73-4E7C-A9B2-9130BB097B8F.jpeg

So I bought all Cole-tac covers and never looked back.

TBAC didn’t last long. Sent a picture to them and asked about warranty on the cover. Crickets.....
View attachment 6966424

So I bought all Cole-tac covers and never looked back.
That’s exactly the kinda input I’m looking... thanks guys. The TBAC cover is actually made by Armageddon Gear so you may have better luck contacting them. I think I’m going to go with the Cole-TAC

i went with a griffon on my KAC NT-4 and its high temp and needed on that can that rides my 10.5" 5.56 exclusively.

I've had good luck with Armageddon Gear wraps for my TBAC cans, because i use them on bolt guns and as Zak has said many times, their titanium cans should stay under 800 degrees.

anyhow, i have had good luck with my armaegeddon and it actually took the brunt of the blast when i blew up a can last year (not a TBAC can). Was going to send a picture of it to the Armageddon owner and show him how it contained the blast and softened any shrapnel from being ejected.

i went with a griffon on my KAC NT-4 and its high temp and needed on that can that rides my 10.5" 5.56 exclusively.

I've had good luck with Armageddon Gear wraps for my TBAC cans, because i use them on bolt guns and as Zak has said many times, their titanium cans should stay under 800 degrees.

anyhow, i have had good luck with my armaegeddon and it actually took the brunt of the blast when i blew up a can last year (not a TBAC can). Was going to send a picture of it to the Armageddon owner and show him how it contained the blast and softened any shrapnel from being ejected.
You bring up a good point that I missed before, in that my can and the few others I’ve seen with regular covers all are titanium. That may actually be a factor if the steel cans get considerably hotter that the Ti cans. I never gave that any thought.

its not so much what can material gets hotter, its the application you're using it on. Rapid rate of fire cans are typically going to be stainless/steel/ inconel and not titanium. Titanium is typically used in precision applications to cut down on weight that has more barrel harmonics effect and a slower rate of fire which means heat build up is less.

still want to unwrap the can to let it cool when you arent shooting.

but with me, i keep the wrap on my nt-4 as it protects the truck carpet and seats after shooting and then loading up.

I went with cole-tac because I like the customization they offer. I forwent the cinch cord because I thought the straps would be enough. It slides..... but I love it

I just got my supressor and first trip out ran about 80 rounds through it. This was all on AR platforms. 5.56, 6.5 Grendel, 6mm Creedmoor and 6.5 Creedmoor. I have a Saker 762 ASR. I got a Rifles Only HAD for it. I know overkill, but thought it may be better for the in case logic.

The cover worked well. No movement and heat was kept in check. Granted, I wasn't going for a destructive test or run. I got the cover just long enough to leave the ASR lock ring exposed. Cover never moved around.

I just received my Armageddon Gear Hi-Temp cover yesterday. It's for use with my Omega on a 6.5CM bolt gun but I went with the high temp version as I figured it offered some extra margin. I don't expect to have a high rate of fire, 10 - 15 shots quickly in a match environment, but otherwise it'll be a few shots and then let the can cool. But if the can does heat up in a match at least I won't be concerned about the cover.

Either the standard or high temp will have to be removed to allow the can to cool. Better remember to keep a multi-tool handy for that.

When considering a suppressor cover & prioritizing mirage reduction, do the hi-temp versions of these covers technically reduce mirage more effectively than the standard versions? Also, do silicone sleeves like one from Bowers Group reduce mirage....or would they potentially increase mirage since they so effectively dissipate heat?

I run Armageddons and never had a problem. 1000's of rounds in a wide variety of conditions.

Been very happy with my Cole-Tac Metal Python Suppressor Cover on a 6.5 mm TBAC Ultra 7.

Never had any problems with standard bolt gun firing schedule (max 20 rounds in 5 minutes and then some cooling time). Suppressor occasionally gets switched to my AR and Cole-Tac cover has held up to 40-50 rounds in 10 minutes from cool without issue. I haven't pushed it beyond this... not a mag dump kind of shooter.

If I need to make a quick getaway, the hot suppressor, along with its cover goes into a Rifles Only Fatty pouch and away I go. Cole-Tac makes a similar product as well. I believe it is called the Vulcan Suppressor pouch.

I'll second Hunter Steve. I've been using one of his covers for well over a year and inside it looks like it's still new. Look him up, you won't be dissapointed.

Reactions: 021411
I’m using a Rifles Only HAD cover & ive had zero issues. I tie the shock cord around the barrel & it doesn’t move. I loosen it it up & pull it off after strings to allow cooling. I have no issues w/ mirage.

Having run it on my AR I’ve had no issues w/ any flaking whatsoever. So far it’s ran better than a Timex.

I just received my Armageddon Gear Hi-Temp cover yesterday. It's for use with my Omega on a 6.5CM bolt gun but I went with the high temp version as I figured it offered some extra margin. I don't expect to have a high rate of fire, 10 - 15 shots quickly in a match environment, but otherwise it'll be a few shots and then let the can cool. But if the can does heat up in a match at least I won't be concerned about the cover.

Either the standard or high temp will have to be removed to allow the can to cool. Better remember to keep a multi-tool handy for that.

If you're running it on a bolt gun with a significant section of exposed barrel behind the can, you can just slide the cover back onto the barrel to let the can cool down. Just make sure the end of the cover with the donut (where the shock cord disappears into the seam) is towards the chamber end, not the muzzle end. The donut is there to sit behind the can and keep the cover from walking forward on the can.

Anybody got experience using silencerco covers, regular or high temp? I need mirage protection for a Harvester .30.

They are made by Cole-Tac. They covers are really nice, I have the high temp version for a couple cans and have had no issues. I had a Kevlar cord added to some of mine to prevent them from sliding forward off the can, some cans have less friction to keep the cover on. I am able to shoot without the silicone sleeve at times on my bolt gun with no ill-effects.

I have 2 SilencerCo cans but would probably just buy straight from Cole-Tac.

I have had great luck with my Armageddon Gear on both bolt and semi autos. I did have one on an AR pistol on a Gemtech patrolman that I ran way to hard and it did melt some of the felt nomex and cover. But I don't feel it was the products fault, I ran it to the point of where the cover was even way past hot to the touch.

I just cut down silicone dish drying mats. Have not tried high rates of fire on them, but they really cut mirage and work great!
Total cost for 2 silicone suppressor covers was maybe $10.

I know, I’m not cool, but my suppressors are?

I just cut down silicone dish drying mats. Have not tried high rates of fire on them, but they really cut mirage and work great!
Total cost for 2 silicone suppressor covers was maybe $10.

I know, I’m not cool, but my suppressors are?
I've been looking for a do it yourselfer solution. Looks like this might be it. Thanks for sharing.

Reactions: smoooth1
I went with a cover from Rauch Precision. I really like it so far and quite affordable. It’s on a Rugged Razor
E8A3A823-A10A-485B-85B0-7078BCAF7A9A.jpeg