• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Suppressor Maintenance - Pistol & 22LR

tactic-als

Jawa Reaper
Minuteman
Oct 2, 2008
PA
So, I'm sure this has possibly been discussed but I thought I'd ask because most times I search, it was asked over a year ago and cleaner and what not has been improved since then. Here's what I'm getting at, I have 2 pistol suppressors (both have 17-4PH baffles) and 2 22LR supprssors (both have titanium baffles). I shot quite a few rounds thru each and have never taken them down for cleaning. I just recently purchased a Lyman TS 6000 and a bottle of Lyman Concentrated Steel parts cleaner. I did a 15 minutes cleaning session...the water/solution was murky but the parts were not even remotely clean. I followed that up with a 30 minute session and still not as clean as I had hoped. FYI, about 80 oz of water and 4 oz of cleaning solution each time.

1. Is there anything I can coat the internals with that will help the removal of carbon build up?
2. When using the ultrasonic cleaner, what's the best cleaning solution to use and what ratio to water do you use?
3. I don't have an accurate round count but I imagine the pistol suppressors may have had between 750-1000? and the 22LR about 300?...what round count are you cleaning them?
4. If I haven't asked it, please feel free to add anything that will help make my life easier...LOL.

Thanks for you time!

So, I'm sure this has possibly been discussed but I thought I'd ask because most times I search, it was asked over a year ago and cleaner and what not has been improved since then. Here's what I'm getting at, I have 2 pistol suppressors (both have 17-4PH baffles) and 2 22LR supprssors (both have titanium baffles). I shot quite a few rounds thru each and have never taken them down for cleaning. I just recently purchased a Lyman TS 6000 and a bottle of Lyman Concentrated Steel parts cleaner. I did a 15 minutes cleaning session...the water/solution was murky but the parts were not even remotely clean. I followed that up with a 30 minute session and still not as clean as I had hoped. FYI, about 80 oz of water and 4 oz of cleaning solution each time.

1. Is there anything I can coat the internals with that will help the removal of carbon build up?
2. When using the ultrasonic cleaner, what's the best cleaning solution to use and what ratio to water do you use?
3. I don't have an accurate round count but I imagine the pistol suppressors may have had between 750-1000? and the 22LR about 300?...what round count are you cleaning them?
4. If I haven't asked it, please feel free to add anything that will help make my life easier...LOL.

Thanks for you time!
I have been reading and watching YouTube videos of this and a lot of people coat the baffles with froglube, and supposibly the carbon will wipe right off after you shoot, assuming you wipe it down right after shooting. I have never tried it so I don't know if it works but I will be trying it when's my cans get outta ATF jail.

I too am new to suppressors .

I have 2 cans in nfa jail and will have an ultrasonic cleaner by the time my stamps clear I just don't know which one to purchase at this time.

I did see a good article on pre treating a new suppressor to make it much easier to clean.

His method was to take a new clean can, take it apart ,make sure everything is clean and put all the parts on a baking sheet.

He then put the parts in an oven at 275 degrees for 30 minutes

He then put the heated parts in a jar filled with dot 5 brake fluid and let it set overnight

He then took the parts out of the brake fluid and wiped off the excess and assemble's it

He claims this pre treatment keeps the lead and carbon from sticking to baffles because the dot 5 has a high % of silicone in it.

I plan to give his method a try when I get my new cans as it sounds good, is not expensive, and it can't hurt to give it a try.

I too would be interested in knowing what ultrasonic cleaner & solutions that you guys are using.

M.A.G.A.

There's a system out using SILICONE. DOT 5 brake fluid. It works ^^^^^
Start with clean parts. Heat them to 250, put them into the silicone hot for a 6-8 hours??, place on a paper towel, wipe off extra, reassemble.
After you heat--- Don't touch until you reassemble. Keep your oils off it.

Do you re treat after each cleaning?
&
Have you shot a can treated like this wet with wire pulling gel ?

I'm thinking that 5cc of this dot 5 might be ideal when shooting wet on a can treated in this manor

Last edited:
The best way to clean lead off the baffles for your .22 can is to let them soak in a 50/50 solution of hydrogen peroxide and vinegar. This will take the lead off but will create a very poisonous chemical called lead acetate. Check in your area for rules about disposing this by product. USE GLOVES

I retreat after every cleaning. But I don't clean after every session either. Your can will start gaining weight with build up. I only clean when it starts messing with the accuracy,
I clean with the 50-50 mix ^^^ and a sonic toothbrush. Comes off great. I've also hung my mussel tip to clean the build up on it..Don't leave it in there very long. Get a chemist's opinion on how long for your barrel make up. I heard it reacts to SS. ??? and disposal.
Keep it in a sealed container {wife's Tupperware} and reuse it till it gets real dirty.

Have you shot a can treated like this wet with wire pulling gel ? NO All mine are dry.

vinegar and peroxide method is effective but the toxicity cannot be taken lightly. You cannot get this stuff on your hands because the lead will penetrate your skin

His method was to take a new clean can, take it apart ,make sure everything is clean and put all the parts on a baking sheet.

He then put the parts in an oven at 275 degrees for 30 minutes

He then put the heated parts in a jar filled with dot 5 brake fluid and let it set overnight

He then took the parts out of the brake fluid and wiped off the excess and assemble's it

He claims this pre treatment keeps the lead and carbon from sticking to baffles because the dot 5 has a high % of silicone in it.
Unreal, dude sounds loupy.....

Hoppe's 9 and a 12ga bronze borebrush and some elbow grease and that's it, never needed any snake oil or crazy concoction crap past that..