• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Suppressor Recoil Reduction: 338 Ultra vs Ultra 7

samb300

GCP Rifle Co. Accuracy Obsession Vision Products
Minuteman
  • Feb 22, 2013
    Milwaukee, WI
    I've been shooting my 6.5 Ultra 7 in comps for the past 3 or 4 years, and love it as an overall package. It obviously doesn't reduce recoil - specifically muzzle rise - as well as a brake does. I know about the 419 Maverick, but have the opportunity to pick up a new TBAC suppressor with a cert I picked up. I also love how quiet they are and knowing I won't be as deaf in 20 years haha.

The question I have for you guys that have multiple cans (or @Zak Smith ) - is there a measureable difference in recoil reduction/muzzle rise going from an Ultra 7 to a 338 Ultra? Currently shooting a typical 6mm match caliber if that helps, sub-2900 fps with a 34gr of powder. Does the larger volume of the 338 Ultra mean the recoil impulse will actually be longer than the Ultra 7, making it harder to spot trace and bullet splash?

I currently shoot a 24" barrel and would consider going down to a 21 - 22" barrel with the 338 Ultra for comps, losing some velocity if I can improve recoil reduction.

Thanks!

Sam

Reactions: cgobeli
    I don't have numbers but it will have less recoil, both due to the size and it being a bit heavier. (We will get that on the accelerometer in the future per my comments on the other thread.) It will be quieter for sure. With regard to your question about time, I don't have numbers, but the suppressor will come up to a much lower pressure (sort of like using 4" of 12" travel on dirt-bike shocks), given you're shooting less than 40 grains of powder vs. the objective cartridge which is 90-100gr.

You might also ask the Team AI guys as a lot of them are just shooting the 338 ULTRA for all calibers, across the board.

A general comment, not to you specifically. If a rifle is fit to the shooter right and of the weights we typically use for LR shooting (ie 14-20 lbs), a shooter should not have a problem spotting hits, misses, or trace with any muzzle device (other than maybe a bare muzzle, "ha ha"). Even shooting magnums like 7RM, 300WM, etc.

I don't have numbers but it will have less recoil, both due to the size and it being a bit heavier. (We will get that on the accelerometer in the future per my comments on the other thread.) It will be quieter for sure. With regard to your question about time, I don't have numbers, but the suppressor will come up to a much lower pressure (sort of like using 4" of 12" travel on dirt-bike shocks), given you're shooting less than 40 grains of powder vs. the objective cartridge which is 90-100gr.

You might also ask the Team AI guys as a lot of them are just shooting the 338 ULTRA for all calibers, across the board.

A general comment, not to you specifically. If a rifle is fit to the shooter right and of the weights we typically use for LR shooting (ie 14-20 lbs), a shooter should not have a problem spotting hits, misses, or trace with any muzzle device (other than maybe a bare muzzle, "ha ha"). Even shooting magnums like 7RM, 300WM, etc.
    Thanks Zak, the info is appreciated. I am capable of shooting well with the Ultra 7 in "PRS" style matches, even against a field that is comprised mainly of braked rifles. So really I'm wondering if the 338 Ultra will be objectively better for that purpose, or if I should consider another Ultra series or Dominus to add to the lineup instead. The name of the game right now is seeing your own trace and impacts via the least amount of reticle movement as possible.

Reactions: Patriots1884
    I have a Ultra 7 also but have a 338 Ultra in jail. Hopefully in the next month or two I'll let you know how they compare.

I chose to the Ultra 7 as the do everything can. Decided to get the 338 for the range for extra suppression and recoil reduction. Plan now is to use the ultra 7 for hunting and smaller calibers. It works awesome on my daughters 224 valkyrie and suppresses enough for one or two shots with no hearing protection while hunting with my 6.5 creedmoor.

Any difference in recoil reduction between the 338 SR version and the standard with a 419 mount?

I have a cert to use also and have been wondering the same thing, only I have a 24in 6.5cm with an ultra 9. Looks like a 338 ultra is in my distant future. Would still like to pick up an ultra7 or dominus for hunting

I have both the Dominus and 338Ultra in jail. I should have the 338 Ultra before years end and hopefully the Dominus before the start of Q2 2021. Both will be compare to what I run currently, the Silencerco Hybrid.

I will be using them all for 6BR/6.5CM/.308

Reactions: samb300
    I have both the Dominus and 338Ultra in jail. I should have the 338 Ultra before years end and hopefully the Dominus before the start of Q2 2021. Both will be compare to what I run currently, the Silencerco Hybrid.

I will be using them all for 6BR/6.5CM/.308
    Did you choose CB or SR for the mounts?

Did you choose CB or SR for the mounts?

CB at the advice of TBAC. See below

4977ECF1-AB27-4F28-BF73-B8121B1FF3F0.jpeg

CB at the advice of TBAC. See below

View attachment 7440235
    You're looking for the best performance of the brake when not suppressed? For my use that doesn't concern me all that much since 99% of the time I'm suppressed other than for faster barrel break ins.

I like the SR mount because the threads are behind the taper, whereas the CB brake has the threads in front of the taper. I would guess that the SR mount remains cleaner this way. After a 100 round match my CB brake is pretty damn crusty with carbon.

I also like the thought of the Dominus-SR serving dual use on a precision rifle and a battle rifle, since the SOCOM/SURG cycle was only for the SR mount.

You're looking for the best performance of the brake when not suppressed? For my use that doesn't concern me all that much since 99% of the time I'm suppressed other than for faster barrel break ins.

I like the SR mount because the threads are behind the taper, whereas the CB brake has the threads in front of the taper. I would guess that the SR mount remains cleaner this way. After a 100 round match my CB brake is pretty damn crusty with carbon.

I also like the thought of the Dominus-SR serving dual use on a precision rifle and a battle rifle, since the SOCOM/SURG cycle was only for the SR mount.
    Yeah, I went with the CB so I could run the Area419 adapters with their suppressor mounts and have the ability to switch to the hellfire.

That way you have the most versatility and performance out of the system.

I called tbac to ask if there was a way to dumb down the difference when trying to decide cb vs sr for the dominus

The two are the exact same can with different mounts...

Basically if it's not going on a machine gun, or being shot by Jerry Miculek, then there wasn't really much benefit to the SR

Might as well save weight with the CB and keep the same mounts across the board because most of us that don't ride to a two way range in a helicopter with select fire won't see the benefit of the SR it appears

When I picked up the 338 SR, I fell in love with how it mounts. There is no contest compared to anything on the market, and if I had to call a close second,’it would be the deadAir design.

QD is important for me. I’m a hunter first and a range shooter second. I tend to bump my guns every which way to Sunday, they also get rattled around in scabbards either on horses or ATVs. This heightens my likely hood of the suppressor backing off, but not with the SR Mount.

I highly advise QD unless you’re gun goes from your vehicle and onto a shooting mat.

Reactions: Huskydriver
    Meh. My guns get beat to crap and I’ve never had a cb loosen up.

Direct threads are another story

Picked up a 338 ultra today. Thing is massive

I got to fondle my Ultra 338 SR on Friday when doing the paperwork at the SOT. Yeah, it's massive 🤘

I'll be relocating at the end of the month from a state that doesn't allow suppressors to a state that does. Most of my shooting is on a 6mm BR, but there will be some .308, 6.5, and .223 as well. Would the 338 Ultra be a decent option to fit all of those? Obviously the size and weight will be greater than a smaller device, is there any other downside? Could I use that on a .22 LR as well?

Thanks for the help.

It’s got one of if not the best noise reduction that I’ve seen. It should work fine on a 22LR. You’ve already mentioned the downside: length and weight. Great off a bench or prone; Not great for hunting in brushy country or moving through barricades. Compromise would be to cut your barrel down to 20”.

I'll be relocating at the end of the month from a state that doesn't allow suppressors to a state that does. Most of my shooting is on a 6mm BR, but there will be some .308, 6.5, and .223 as well. Would the 338 Ultra be a decent option to fit all of those? Obviously the size and weight will be greater than a smaller device, is there any other downside? Could I use that on a .22 LR as well?

Thanks for the help.
    Not sure why you would use a 338 Ultra on a 22LR. All it’s gonna do is get gunked up with lead and need to be cleaned more often. TBAC’s 22-Takedown suppressor is a much better option, and is like 15oz and $1500 cheaper lol

Not sure why you would use a 338 Ultra on a 22LR. All it’s gonna do is get gunked up with lead and need to be cleaned more often. TBAC’s 22-Takedown suppressor is a much better option, and is like 15oz and $1500 cheaper lol

Thanks! Brand new to suppressors and need to do more research. Was wondering if I could have one magical suppressor for all applications or have one for precision rifles and then a few others for different applications.

Thanks! Brand new to suppressors and need to do more research. Was wondering if I could have one magical suppressor for all applications or have one for precision rifles and then a few others for different applications.
    There are a few suppressors labeled as a “do it all” that will work OK with everything from pistol to rifle. I don’t have any of those and don’t have any specific recommendations.

I think TBAC suppressors are peerless for any precision rifle application. And now their DOMINUS-SR can handle full auto AR/AR10/SBR as well as precision rifle. The 338 Ultra would cover 223 up to 338, DOMINUS-SR your full auto SBR (hehe), and 22-Takedown your precision 22 rifle, pistol, or 5.7. The only thing you’d need at that point is a pistol suppressor with a booster.

If all you have is 223/6.5/308 and don’t shoot magnums or 338 Lapua, I would highly recommend either an Ultra 7 or the new DOMINUS. I have an Ultra 7 and it’s pretty damn awesome, and is quite a bit shorter and lighter than the 338. Use their website to find a dealer with an in stock unit and get the paperwork going right away!!! Unless you have a cert, it’s not worth ordering direct and waiting 9 months for a serial number when Mile High or someone else has them in stock.

I was actually just thinking about recoil impulse on the 5" vs 7" vs 338. This weekend I used someone's original Thunderbeast (no numbers) on a 308 and it was very pleasant. I typically use my Silencerco Omega on my 6.5 but don't have an 18x1.5 attachment for it. I like the idea of small and light for mobility but have no idea how the impulse on a 5" might differ from a 7". Anyone have any experience with that?

From the other thread:

We do have some accelerometer data, from a 308, while the CB brake reduces from a "plain muzzle" by about 24%, the Ultra 9 reduces about 27% and the Ultra 7 reduces about 20%. I can't really go into the technical details of this measurement more right now, but we should be rolling some information out soon.

Ultra 5's number is about 14%

Reactions: samb300 and EmanP
    @samb300 you’re welcome to try my 338 ultra and compare before you order. I have an 30p1 to give you a feel for what the ultra 9 would be like also.

Reactions: samb300
    Couple of thoughts. I have a lot of experience with a threaded on can that sits against a taper. In my case with OPS Inc. They don’t fall off even using them as a carbine. I might be just slightly hesitant to use the CB mount/ops mount on a short barreled machineguns doing entries but for general use, hunting, a house gun, classes, I wouldn’t hesitate at all. And in fact my next Recce will wear a TBAC Dominus or Dominus K.

Second thought, I don’t know why anyone would pick the Ultra over the Dominus anymore. Much like ladies but for very different reasons I will take some extra girth over length. That it’s quieter is a plus. Likewise, if you’re considering an Ultra 9 unless you NEED compatibility with the smaller mounts I would just get the 338.

Reactions: deersniper
    338 fits the normal mounts with an adapter you wrench into the can.

338 is more bigger than the ultra 9 than the spec sheet would suggest

Reactions: Geno C.