• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressor Side Bump

rwferrante

Former military/pilot, NRA Ring of Freedom
Minuteman
Apr 22, 2022
Denton, Texas
I put a new Dead Air NOMAD-LT 7.62 on a Browning 6.5 PRC and then, the next day on a Fierce .300 PRC, both direct thread although the 300 needed a thread adapter. After some strange shots on target, I notice a chip in the front plate and removed it to find a keyhole cut thought the interior. Any idea how that could have happened?

added edit: So, I’ve talked with the folks at Deadair and purchased alignment rods. The keyhole is manufactured that way. The end cap strike however, is caused by a misalignment on the Fierce .300 PRC, the rod shows it clearly. So I’ve ordered a new thread cap for the rifle so I can use it without a thread adapter and a new end cap. If this doesn’t fix the problem, I’ll have to send the can back to Deadair.

Thanks to all that gave me insight.

Attachments

• IMG_5688.jpeg
    IMG_5688.jpeg
    152 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_5690.jpeg
    IMG_5690.jpeg
    365.8 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_5691.jpeg
    IMG_5691.jpeg
    329.1 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_5692.jpeg
    IMG_5692.jpeg
    230.7 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_5695.jpeg
    IMG_5695.jpeg
    213.3 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_5696.jpeg
    IMG_5696.jpeg
    116.6 KB · Views: 108
Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Baron23
So the keyhole you're seeing is part of the baffle design but you def got a end cap strike probably from using a thread adapter and you didn't check alignment before shooting with a rod

The end cap strike is a problem, the channel cut in all the baffles is from the factory.
Yes, check your can/barrel alignment first.
Also was the ammo factory or hand loads ?

Thank you. I thought I checked both pretty well. They screwed on cleanly and went to full seat. I wondered if anyone would recognize the keyhole. I wasn't sure if it was a result or a design. Thank you. So basically, I just need to get a new end cap and use a different mounting method?

The end cap strike is a problem, the channel cut in all the baffles is from the factory.
Yes, check your can/barrel alignment first.
Also was the ammo factory or hand loads ?
Factory ammo. Hornady 6.5 PRC and .300 PRC. I wish I knew for sure which one caused the bump. As I mentioned I did hear a ricochet from the 6.5.

So the keyhole you're seeing is part of the baffle design but you def got a end cap strike probably from using a thread adapter and you didn't check alignment before shooting
Thank you. I thought I checked both pretty well. They screwed on cleanly and went to full seat. I wondered if anyone would recognize the keyhole. I wasn't sure if it was a result or a design. Thank you. So basically, I just need to get a new end cap and use a different mounting method?

Almost certainly a cap strike from misalignment then. More likely the 300 with the adapter, but check both carefully
Thank you. I've never experienced this problem with any previous suppressors. What is your recommendation for how to check the alignment?

Shoot DA an email and they will take care of you. Same thing happened to mine a couple weeks ago and they were really helpful and good folks to visit with.