• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Suppressors Suppressors and public ranges

THE MGD

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 18, 2011
S. TEXAS
Anyone had any problems with suppressors at the public ranges?

I live outside the city and have my own range, inside the city I have access to LE ranges. But my buddies inside the city, non LE, have no desire to drive all the way out to my range, but really want to shoot suppressed.

I DONT want to advertise , I dont even know which public ranges allow it. Assuming the range does allow it, ive never had any issues of scaring people or getting atf called. ive read some horror stories out there and im a bit leary. Any advice?

Im thinkin' ill just tell my buds to suck it up and drive out to avoid the hassles.

Re: Suppressors and public ranges

I am curious about this too, i rarely shoot at a public range, but i am curious to see answers bc i have 3 cans inbound

Heres a thought I had;
At the public range you are required to wear ear and eye protection, so its not like they'll hear much anyway, sure you got reduced recoil, but im thinking they want to hear the diffrence. im sure you'll notice if you listen and your the only one firing, but not enough to really wow them.

I know theres got to be a gentelmanly way of doing this. I already plan on showing my credencials to the range teller and range officer. (which I dont like advertising) . Any other tips?

I think you are worrying too much, ive never been to a range that had a problem, and you are engaging in legal activity same as everyone else so you have nothing to worry about. Just go about your business and if anyone is out of line, tell them so. I have never even been asked for my documentation.

I have never had a problem at public ranges. Sure, people do stare at you and some look at you like you are crazy but as long as you have copies of your tax stamp, there should not be any problem. Also, check to make sure the range does not have a sign posted that says "no class 3 weapons allowed". I doubt you will ever see that but you never know.

I have never been asked for my docs and if I was I would only show them to law enforcement. The first time a range officer asks me for my forms it will be the last time I visit that range.

My experience has been very positive at local ranges. People come ask questions and I end up giving them quick lessons on ownership and applications.

well Deitz in new braunfels is suppressor friendly, So is Best of the West in Ceadar Park. If you call and ask most ranges will tell you ahead of time. What part of TX are you in

the closest i have gotten is 'why did you buy a fake silencer?' during a cease-fire. i was happy to show him that it was, in fact, real.

the ranges know me so i don't have an issue, but why would they have an issue with a can? just have a copy of your stamp as normal and it will be fine.

if you have a question or a doubt just ask but i cant see how they would have an issue with it.

The private range that I belong to, which is the oldest in the country, has us carry a copy of the tax form for any class 3 items.
A local public indoor range is owned by a class 3 dealer, so no problems there either.
I would suggest a call to the range to see what their rules are.

No issues up here with it. You see and "hear" suppressors being shot on numerous ranges all the time. The full auto is even fairly common place it seems.

The question in this scenario is moot in my thinking MGD. Your buddies really want to shoot suppressed but are unwilling to drive to your place....yet are more than happy for you to drive to them so they can use your stuff??? Time to reevaluate these friends
wink.gif

Now if you want to shoot your stuff in a public range just have your tax form and shoot. Really no need to inform anybody or present your credentials unless asked. I would for full auto but not a suppressor.

I've shot many times at the local range. Many of the shooters there are more interested in practicing there bump fires and how much ammo they can waste. There are a few people that will come over and ask questions but most just stare and then go about there business.

I agree with gggmanning's advice:

Your friends want you to drive to them, so that they can hear the suppressor?

Sorry boys. You know the way to my house, get there and you can try the suppressor to your hearts' content... oh, and bring ammo.

On shooting a suppressed platform on a public range: I would just do it. If someone gets bent about it tell them to go pack sand, if an RSO/RO/Owner gets bent then politely ask them "why not" or just leave and don't come back. Tell them why you're not going to patronize their business any longer as well.

Unless they're a US Treasury Agent (aka, ATF or actual Treasury Officer) they don't have the legal authority to force you to show anything anyway. I keep it all with me, to play nice I can show someone the stamp and describe the process and I try to use it as an opportunity to educate about the suppressors and their lawful ownership. If someone wants to be an ass though, refer to my sand packing comment.

Overall, I would not be driving in the city to let my friends try the suppressors because they're too lazy to drive out to the country.

^^^^ What he said^^^^

I'm not showing my papers to anyone I don't have to by law.
If someone wants info, I'll gladly share and have done so several times. A few have even followed through and bought cans.

If they start showing there ignorance I tell them to $%^&*off

I don't care what anyone thinks. I'm the one who jumped through the hoops so I'm pretty confident I understand the laws.

I'm not showing anyone other than a LEO my paperwork. It's none of their business. I don't mind explaining how the process works though. I encourage people to get their own because I think it's rude to shoot without one.

All this being said, I don't see a point in using a suppressor at a public range unless it's suppressed only day, I'm the only one there, or for whatever reason my gun won't cycle without it.

+1 for telling people to pound sand it they insist they are illegal.

Thanks for all the info and input.
For now ill keep the suppresdor at home abd make some q and a dry runs.

Fwiw most of my coworkers (non shooting buddies) know nothing about gun laws. Ive shown them pistol ARs and AKs and theyve said "yep thats illegal" or "yep thats an arrest". Lucky for me I got my LEO credentials, I cant imagine the clusterfuck a suppressor might have.

Ever since I started to look into a suppressor I've wondered about this, but I figured the polite thing to do was to ask. I've been to three outdoor ranges around DFW and have asked about Class 3 items. One said no way, even to suppressors, but I didn't care for their range anyway as it was all 100 yards and less. One didn't want automatic weapons but was OK with suppressors as long as you had paperwork (not to show them but to show LEO if they showed up and asked). The last one clearly posted suppressors were welcome but I didn't ask about automatic weapons, though that range is for long distance stuff and had minimal short-range.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: methos</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ever since I started to look into a suppressor I've wondered about this, but I figured the polite thing to do was to ask. I've been to three outdoor ranges around DFW and have asked about Class 3 items. One said no way, even to suppressors, but I didn't care for their range anyway as it was all 100 yards and less. One didn't want automatic weapons but was OK with suppressors as long as you had paperwork (not to show them but to show LEO if they showed up and asked). The last one clearly posted suppressors were welcome but I didn't ask about automatic weapons, though that range is for long distance stuff and had minimal short-range.</div></div>

Curious about this. Not to call anyone out but the range that said no, was it just to the north of TMS?

All of the ranges I go to in or out of the city have no problem and some even encourage it because of noise pollution.

The public range near me actually changed their policy after lots of us cplained about the "no class 3" rules. Basically it was decided that the WMA (people who operate the range) didn't really have the authority to do that. At first the range masters still freaked out on me, but after I recommended that they call their supervisor and get informed, they relaxed. I still show my paperwork simply as a courtesy any time I'm shooting on someone else's range.

no issues. plenty of curious on lookers though. plenty of "isn't that illegal" short lesson in ownership then they are wanting one usually.

Public outings with NFA items = Perfect oportunity to educate the public and promote NFA ownership.

Remember, Truth always trumps BS...
Just stay calm, never speak down to anyone and spread the word that is NFA both fun and legal...
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dr. Phil</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Public outings with NFA items = Perfect oportunity to educate the public and promote NFA ownership.

Just stay calm, never speak down to anyone and spread the word that is NFA both fun and legal...
laugh.gif
</div></div>

This. Everyone wants cool stuff.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dr. Phil</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Public outings with NFA items = Perfect oportunity to educate the public and promote NFA ownership.

laugh.gif
</div></div>THIS, seconded.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kill Box ALPHA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Curious about this. Not to call anyone out but the range that said no, was it just to the north of TMS? </div></div>

No, this is nearly downtown Dallas. Great range for trap and pistol, which is most of what they do, but not really my thing.

My local range requires the RO to check papers on any Class 3 weapons. I know I don't legally have to show the papers, but I'm on private property and if the owner asks I'm going to show the papers.

Same as if I'm on someone's property hunting, if the owner says don't hunt in the wheat field, I'm not going to hunt in the wheat field.

It's just a matter of respect.

Never had an issue in the last 12 years, met a lot of dumb-asses that know they are ILLEGAL however.

Who must you show your Form 4 to? Obviously if your on a Pvt or Public range, its their rules or leave (show them the form 4 and shoot, or just leave) But if a local LEO comes up to you, must you show it to them, or just a ATF agent? I know you dont wanna start no shit with the Locals, but it is nice to know what the LAW ACTUALLY IS..

the law is that it's a tax document and local LE can't compel you to show it w/o a warrant... BUT... it's easier to just show it to LE, if they ask, I've never had 1 ask

Sorry let me clarify,
A public range to me is any range that is open to the public whether they pay or if its free (never seen a free one) a private range to me is eirher private property or only availuble to select members.
Maybe not an offical deffinition , but the way I see it

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kill Box ALPHA</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: methos</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ever since I started to look into a suppressor I've wondered about this, but I figured the polite thing to do was to ask. I've been to three outdoor ranges around DFW and have asked about Class 3 items. One said no way, even to suppressors, but I didn't care for their range anyway as it was all 100 yards and less. One didn't want automatic weapons but was OK with suppressors as long as you had paperwork (not to show them but to show LEO if they showed up and asked). The last one clearly posted suppressors were welcome but I didn't ask about automatic weapons, though that range is for long distance stuff and had minimal short-range.</div></div>

Curious about this. Not to call anyone out but the range that said no, was it just to the north of TMS? </div></div>

This range shut me down. I started shooting and RO comes over and tells me they are not allowed due to their insurance. I wondered if that was a cop out or the truth. I don't see where a suppressor increases risk. Anyway that was my first and last trip to that establishment.

I have never had any trouble here in Pennsylvania with public ranges other than all the people coming over to drool on it b/c they use a suppressor in their favorite video game....lol

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NoHair</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Never had an issue in the last 12 years, met a lot of dumb-asses that know they are ILLEGAL however. </div></div>

haha so true!

I shoot at Ben Avery here in Phoenix Arizona and never had an issue. But then again we have people shooting full auto and 50BMG.

-K

I have not had any real problems, just some staring and questions. That is pretty decent in an area where a 14year veteran sheriff had never signed a NFA form before mine.

I have only ever seen one other can besides mine in this area.

It may be a "tax document", but everyone (at least smart people) know that anything shorter than 16" barrel or Suppressor are illegal with out the proper paper work. So is it safe to say that if you dont show a LEO your paperwork (without a warrant), then he will take your Class III shit, and may even take your ass to jail.
It seems that LEO's have the upper hand in this situation. Either show me your paper work or go to jail. Im not saying that I wouldnt show a LEO my paper work, but Im sure there are people that wont lol

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Force_Multiplier</div><div class="ubbcode-body">the law is that it's a tax document and local LE can't compel you to show it w/o a warrant... BUT... it's easier to just show it to LE, if they ask, I've never had 1 ask </div></div>

I've used them at several ranges in the DC area, Isaak Walton in Damascus, Monocacy, Associated Gun Clubs (where I DID get some shit from one range NAZI RSO about them being illegal. I told him to show me the club reg or get out of my face. He left, but came back later to tell me there wasn't a reg, but I needed to have the paperwork when I used it which was more bullshit), as indoor ranges as well (NRA, On Target), never had any other hassles.

They DO attract attention. I just tell people I shoot for an agency and leave it at that.

LMMFAO!!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: normbal</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I just tell people I shoot for an agency and leave it at that. </div></div>

Never heard of any issues around here with shooting auto or suppressed... Like most people have said, if you have a cool toy then others come to see what you have.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Helidriver</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have never been asked for my docs and if I was I would only show them to law enforcement. The first time a range officer asks me for my forms it will be the last time I visit that range.

My experience has been very positive at local ranges. People come ask questions and I end up giving them quick lessons on ownership and applications. </div></div>

I PCSed and was checking out a local range and was shocked when I asked to show and present my Form 4s so they could keep copies on file. They SAID that the ATF requires this which is bs.....I left and will not be going back because I don't want to leave my forms with them....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kevlars</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I shoot at Ben Avery here in Phoenix Arizona and never had an issue. But then again we have people shooting full auto and 50BMG.

-K </div></div>

When did BA start allowing 50's to be shot there? Its been 6 years since ive been there but 50's were a no go.

Sorry for the derail.

I agree with the post stating you're concerns are probably not warranted. Just keep a copy of your form 4. I've shot registered machine guns at public ranges and never had an issue.

I've only had one RO complain about my using a suppressor at our public range. For the most part he is just an honory old dude with nothing to do but volunteer and raise problems. The rest of the RO's and shooters are excited to see and hear my suppressors. I dont even carry my paperwork anymore. if a LEO is really concerned they can check the serial # and go on thier way. Two weeks ago i was sighting in my rifle and the UHP were doing a training exercise next to me. Not one word. They just looked at me and smiled. Never have had a problem. Dont stress it.