• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors supressor comparison

Fred @ Bison Tactical

Bison Tactical
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
  • May 18, 2012
    Boulder, CO
    www.bisontactical.com
    I keep seeing a reference to a supressor comparison that lowlight did at some point in the past. However, I have searched (using advanced search) and can't seem to find it. I need to make a decision on a supressor for a .338 build. This will be my first supressor purchase. I am mostly concerned with accuracy, and less with sound reduction, as the posts I have seen seem to indicate there is little significant difference in the sound reduction between the supressor manufacturers. I would like to see if a Yankee Hill .338 supressor compares equally to the Thunder Beast .338 as the cost between the two is significant. If there is an accuracy difference, I would like the details. I am hoping that the main cost difference is materials ie. Titanium vs. SS. I have seen some posts about the materials difference, and most of them point to weight being the primary diffientiator (I realize there are others like TI heats up faster). If I have any of this wrong, please feel free to correct me - as I would like to get a accurate suppressor, but don't want to spend the money on the TBAC if its not required from an accuracy perspective. Converely, if I do have to spend that coin to get an accurate supressor then, so be it. My goal is to have no affect on the rifles accuracy -- by that I mean that if I have a .5 MOA rifle without the supressor I want a .5 MOA rifle with the suppressor on. If the POI shifts thats OK, as long as the groups stay grouped without oddball fliers etc.

Re: supressor comparison

Buy once, Cry once-- Especially when there is also a $200 tax stamp and a 6-8 month wait involved.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Zak Smith</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We can arrange a demo of the 338P-1 or 338BA for you, if you're interested</div></div>

I would definitely take this offer. With you in Cheyenne TBAC is where you need to buy from. Great product, local, and the fastest route.

With TBAC in your backyard, why consider anything else?
    If your rifle is a .5moa gun without it, I would imagine Zak and crew would see that it is that or better with it.

The 4 rifles I shoot my 30p-1 on all are as accurate or better with the can on.

actually, I was looking to hear if the Yankee hill .338 was any good compared to the Thunderbeast. Mostly from a price perspective. I don't doubt the TBAC was top of the line, I just was trying to trim down all the expenses some if possible. I had planned on just a brake, but after being downline for a short mag with a brake I have been reconsidering. But the cost wasn't really planned in my initial build. I don't want to cut costs on my optic, nor the rifle, so maybe a good idea would be the TBAC brake until I have enough saved, and the paperwork done for the .338BA - best of both worlds.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: css</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As they say"Buy once............" </div></div>

HUH.... I bought once... Then again.... and again...
    smile.gif

With a .338 can why would you want to risk getting a sub standard product? Nothing in the .338 class is cheap, actions, barrels, brass, that would be like buying a 408 chey tac and putting a tasco 3-9 from Wal-Mart on it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HeroFish</div><div class="ubbcode-body">actually, I was looking to hear if the Yankee hill .338 was any good compared to the Thunderbeast. Mostly from a price perspective. I don't doubt the TBAC was top of the line, I just was trying to trim down all the expenses some if possible. I had planned on just a brake, but after being downline for a short mag with a brake I have been reconsidering. But the cost wasn't really planned in my initial build. I don't want to cut costs on my optic, nor the rifle, so maybe a good idea would be the TBAC brake until I have enough saved, and the paperwork done for the .338BA - best of both worlds.</div></div>

While everyone wants to save money where they can on a project, this is not an area to do so.
    Just like optics and barrels, a suppressor on a precision rifle is one of the areas in which you should strive for perfection.

Since you are local to TBAC, go visit Zak.
    If you ask nicely, I suspect that he might even give you a price break.
    I've been running a 30P-1 for 2 + years now and honestly can't imagine a suppressor I would rather use on a precision rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HeroFish</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I didn't realize the Yankee hill was such a bad product. Thanks for all the advice, I will be saving my nickles for a TBAC - it will be my next purchase after the Optic. </div></div>
    It is a reasonable product for a non precision 7.62 application.
    Putting one on a quality build would be similar to trying to build an SKS precision rifle.
    You would always be chasing one issue or another.
    If you can avoid that headache, you would be well served in doing so.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HeroFish</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I didn't realize the Yankee hill was such a bad product.</div></div>

I'm sure the YHM can isn't a "bad product"....enter 'yhm 338 phantom snipershide' on Google and you can read threads by folks who have actually used the YHM 338 can.

That being said, TBAC cans have a <span style="font-style: italic">great</span> reputation for accuracy & durability which is probably why so many folks push them. And if TBAC is in your backyard, there's no reason to not check out their product.

YHM does make some good stuff but when you are looking at a 338LM can, I'd take the advice given here and go with something better.

If Zak/TBAC was in my back yard offering to do a demo, I'd jump on that quick.

I think this is the comparison you are referring to:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DL1bn2Qk7bU

That being said I have recently been researching and have heard Zaks thunderbeast has the least POI shift and great sound suppression and is the can to have..... so it will most likely be the direction I take for my 338.....and from what I hear I can also use it on my 308, creedmoor and Grendel.

One other thing... the shark suppressor in that comparison Lowlight did has the ability to have different thread pitch inserts, so it can be used on rifles with different thread pitches instead of buying a brake for each rifle that accepts your suppressor.

good luck

I am like most. I will do a ton of research hopefully to avoid buying a sub-standard product. I was shooting at TacPro the other day and the topic of suppressors came up. One guy stated he had bought several suppressors and the best he had found was SAS because it changed the POI the least. I have heard and read that Zak makes a quality product at Thunderbeast. I am looking for a suppressor for my .338 Savage 110BA Lapua Magnum that will mount over the muzzle break so I can shoot both suppressed or not. If the change in POI is repeatable with or without I can live with that. Any suggestions on what would be my best bet for my .338? Thanks ahead of time. I am just ready to find the right one and buy it and go shoot.

From what I've seen and read, the AAC "Cyclone" screw on seems to be, based on price/Db reduction, the best on the market.

I have had no issues with a YHM QD 7.62 on several high end customs. They all shoot very very good with the YHM. The problem is it's heavy and there are both lighter and quieter cans. If I could run a can hunting I would choose differently. As it is I needed something to not scare the hell out of the cows and move around several platforms. The YHM does that well. They do impart POI shift on 2 of my guns but it is 100% repeatable over several years and many rounds.

I have looked at AAC, SAS, Thunderbeast, Shark, Gemtech for a .338 suppressor. I was wanting an over the muzzle break mount but if the accuracy is that much better with a direct thread on I may consider going that route. I have heard that QD are not that reliable for repeatable accuracy. This will be my first large bore suppressor. You guys sound like you have already done the leg work, I don't want to reinvent the wheel. Thanks

I shoot (a custom) A-TEC and have no POI in .308. Less recoil, faster shooting, less damage to hearing and tighter groups as a result. I always use a supressor, and a usually a light and quiet one of course...

I am 99.999% sure I am going with the 338BA Suppressor with the 338BA brake per Zak's recommendations. I can't believe the customer support that Zak and Thunderbeast provide. Unheard of in todays world. Thanks Zak. Probably start paperwork this weekend.