• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Supressor on or off for chrono?

AR15-SBR

Private
Minuteman
Jun 10, 2014
I am trying to decide on a new chronograph. Nothing expensive or complicated.
Low end-Competition Electronics ProChrono.
High end-Magneto speed sportster.

Now to the question. Should velocity be checked with the suppressor on or off.
I noticed on the Magneto Speed website it said the Sportster can not be used on a suppressor.
Two of my rifles are shot with a suppressor on them, so this will be a factor.

Last edited:
Can on

Get the V3. I’ll attach mine to can then thread the can on

If you typically shoot with no can (prs/rimfires etc) then test how you’ll run in a comp. But if you always suppress then test suppressed

Reactions: lash

I noticed on the Magneto Speed website it said the Sportster can not be used on a suppressor.
If the idea is to shoot suppressed, the only data that matters is data in that configuration.

Sporter wouldn’t work with my tbac or surefire suppressors . Got a v3 and it worked great until someone stole it at the range.

Some can use the sporter but it’s not the rule

• Sad
Reactions: M8541Reaper
Shoot it how you’ll shoot it when you need to use the data. I keep suppressed and unsuppressed profiles for each rifle in the solver. That takes care of any POI shift too.

A lot of people say the pro chrono is junk but we’ve used one for years and never had a problem. I bought a MS a long time ago because everyone says it’s “better”. Turns out the PC is just as accurate and I never pull the MS out because it’s a pain in the ass. If you’re just shooting 1 rifle maybe a MS makes sense but with multiple rifles it’s way easier to just set up a chrono and shoot through it IMO.

A suppressor will impact velocity only marginally and with regular ammo the difference would generally be in the shot to shot variation anyway.

If you were some high end F Class shooter with perfect ammo and low single digit SD you might be able to tell a difference.

As for what Chrono to get I finally bought a lab radar a couple of years ago and I am happy with it. It provides a lot more flexibility than most others and you don't have to attach it to your rifle for the most part.

Sporter wouldn’t work with my tbac or surefire suppressors . Got a v3 and it worked great until someone stole it at the range.

Some can use the sporter but it’s not the rule
Same here , I started out with a sporter but like you it wouldn’t work with my can on.

Collect data as you would shoot the rifle in the normal use scenario.

My experience has been that the change between suppressed/unsurpassed velocity is real, varies by suppressor and cartridge size, and is well outside of my hand loaded ammo’s range a variability.

MS v3 works well on my TBAC cans. I use a rail mount adapter if I’m really worried about zeroing at the same time. Usually I don’t worry about it and the zero shift is less than you would think on a heavy barrel (at most a tenth or two). V3 is worth the price bump over the sporter. I had an optical style chrono that was a PITA and required constant trips out to 10 feet ahead of the firing line which is essentially a deal breaker at any range with other shooters.

Get an AndiScan if you decide to go all the way to the bottom of your bank account. It’s what a Labradar should have been from the start.

A lot of people say the pro chrono is junk but we’ve used one for years and never had a problem. I bought a MS a long time ago because everyone says it’s “better”. Turns out the PC is just as accurate and I never pull the MS out because it’s a pain in the ass. If you’re just shooting 1 rifle maybe a MS makes sense but with multiple rifles it’s way easier to just set up a chrono and shoot through it IMO.

The people saying ProChronos are junk do so because they're looking at $$$ signs instead of what it actually does. Too many people operate under the "you get what you pay for" assumption because they don't know enough to tell what they actually get for their money.

The only time a MagnetoSpeed is a better option is if you're shooting at a public range and can't set up a chrono out in front. Otherwise the ProChrono is at least as accurate, and way more versatile.

I do recommend if buying a ProChrono - get the DLX model for the bluetooth connection to your phone. Every shot gets recorded, and it gives you the basic statistics, plots, etc all right there for later reference.

As to the suppressor question - depending on the can and the round being fired, I've seen up to 30-50 fps freebore boost with my own stuff. So I always want to test in the configuration I'm going to be using. Also, using a suppressor does cut down on the blast that affects chrono readings if you're too close, so it can help out if you're in a position where it's hard to get the chrono far enough away.

As to suppressors, I have never seen more than maybe 5fps difference in using cans over multiple calibers.

That said I would recommend getting the Magnetospeed Sporter and then getting a mount to mount it on so you will not have to have it touching the barrel/can at all. This way you get the ease of use of the Magnetospeed and the ability to use it on whatever you want and no effects on groups or POI or messing with people at the range setting up the chrono down range. There are mounts out there that are around $120-140 so with the Sporter and that you aren't overly expensive and get a great set up. Here's a pic of my Wiser Precision mount, which is a more expensive unit but there are less expensive. I'd never go back to an optical chrono. My Oehler 35 has sit around unused for many years since getting my first Magnetospeed V2 years back.

IMG_2393 (3).jpg

Reactions: Holliday