• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Surefire 7.62 SFMB brake/adapter question

TheGerman

Oberleutnant
Minuteman
  • Jan 25, 2010
    the Westside
    Never held one of these in my hand and haven't been able to find the answer to this, but was interested in getting one to fit their 7.62 SOCOM suppressor.

What I can't figure out is 2 things:

- Does this need to simply have a threaded barrel and be threaded on or does it need to be threaded and pinned? Curious because on my SR25 I'd leave it on, but on my bolt gun I'd take it off when not using the suppressor as I don't need yet another 2 inches added to the length.

- If I decided to be cheap (and the brake can come off and doesnt need to be pinned) how stupid of an idea is it to use one break and swap it between multiple weapons that are threaded for it?

When you put it on, it 'should' stay on. The SureFire brakes use shims to time the brake, would be a real PITA to remove, reshim, install, remove, etc. just to change platforms. I have one on my TRG22 with a 26" barrel. Can't tell the difference. It's so minimal I doubt I'll ever take it off.

The only reason it would need to be pinned is to comply with minimum 16" overall barrel length. Other than the user wanting it permanent. For an extra $130, buy another one...

When you put it on, it 'should' stay on. The SureFire brakes use shims to time the brake, would be a real PITA to remove, reshim, install, remove, etc. just to change platforms. I have one on my TRG22 with a 26" barrel. Can't tell the difference. It's so minimal I doubt I'll ever take it off.

The only reason it would need to be pinned is to comply with minimum 16" overall barrel length. Other than the user wanting it permanent. For an extra $130, buy another one...

Fair enough, didn't know about the shim. That would be a PITA and I'd be worried I'd screw with the concentricicity (is that a word?) of the brake/barrel/suppressor.

Just clean the barrel threads and brake threads with brake cleaner. Screw it on hand tight and determine how many turns will get you to 1/8th turn to timed. Take it off and start with the black washer and see where you end up. From there use the washer thickness table to deduce what combo to try until you get to 1/8th turn from timed when hand tight. Once you got it remove, add rock set to barrel and brake threads, reassemble and tighten until properly timed. Much easier than it sounds but not something you wand to do regularly.