• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Surefire muzzle brake, opinions please.

Re: Surefire muzzle brake, opinions please.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hazardus</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Ok, understand. So they refer to a torque wrench to install this. What type of torque wrench do you use? </div></div>

You don't really <span style="font-style: italic">need</span> a torque wrench. Each SF brake comes with a timing "wheel," which is a letter sized piece of paper with a hole punched in the middle and a drawing of a large circle divided into "pie slices."

You slide the paper onto your barrel and hand tighten the muzzle brake. Depending on where the indexing slot comes to rest (the slot is supposed to sit at the 6 o'clock position when the brake is timed correctly), you read off which shims you're supposed to use. For example, you might need a green shim + blue shim.

Remove the brake and the paper. Slide on the correct shims, then use a standard USGI A2 flash hider wrench (or equivalent size) to tighten up the brake. You should not have to turn the brake more than 1/8 of a turn or so to get the indexing slot dead center at 6 o'clock. If that works, remove the brake, add Rocksett, and retighten.

Of course, you <span style="font-style: italic">should</span> be supporting the barrel correctly during this procedure by using vise jaws or something similar. It's not the best idea to rely on the barrel extension indexing pin to prevent the barrel from rotating...

vmpgsc, that was very helpful. Thanks. Sounds like a barrel vise is essential. What sort of torque wrench would you recommend for this type of application?

HateCA,

I'd like to get a Surefire setup for my new SSG 69 PII. As I'm sure you know the barrel is .825 at the muzzle. Will the FA762SS work on my barrel?

Do I understand that If I have GAP turn down the last 2.75" of the barrel to .775", that the FA762SS will fit over the MB762SSAL/RE break?

I see the GAP M40A5 setup is using the MB762SSAL/RE, so I presume this setup will work.

Thanks,

Driver

I like the surefire breaks...however i've had great performance with primary weapons system's PRC break on my 300wm and will be putting one on my .308

I'm thinking about this brake for my 338 LM. Has anyone shot a 338 LM with this brake on it? How is the recoil reduction ? Has anyone shot it with the surefire can attached? I'm also interested in that and would like to know if it changes up the recoil. I'm not scared of recoil by any means but I want a rifle my wife and kids can get behind.

The .338 SureFire brake is very, very good.

I use it on all my LongSwords in .300WinMag and .338LM/Norma. I usually drag a rifle like this to any class or L.E. demo for a barrier demonstration.

PVS27orMUNSon338LM.jpg

The setup is so soft shooting that the office geeks and non-shooters end up wanting to burn up all your ammo. Yes, your kids could shoot it all day long but I doubt you would want to give them the rifle and a bucket of ammo to blow through on a lazy Sunday afternoon. 3 rounds of factory .338LM could buy 500 rounds of 22LR. Just sayin...

Shooting the rifle un-suppressed but with brake is very low recoil but you can see grass flatten within 20 feet of both sides of the muzzle.

Terry thank you so much for the info. I'll defiantly be getting that brake. Sounds like there might be a issue with dust kick up though?

I have the 556k on a AR, I know it may be different on a bolt gun, but non the less it is a well made, effective piece of gear.

The SF Brake is side ported to minimize dust signature but the .338LM or Norma will still push enough gas to blow pretty hard at the surrounding area. Any other brake will do the same so not really an "issue" as much as it just comes with the territory.

With a cartridge of this size about the only way to negate the majority of any signatures would be to suppress it.