• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

surefire rechargeable 123 batterys

Bob munden

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 19, 2012
does anyone know about our use the rechargeable 123 surefire batterys? are they worth getting or should i keep buying surefire disposable 123? pros, cons, any info. thanks in advance

Re: surefire rechargeable 123 batterys

Have afew rechargables not surefire. I havent used em. I bought a box of 100 123a"s 2 years ago and still have half a box left
Guess it depends on how much you use it . Me personally I like the idea of using new every time not worrying about recharging life.

i asked the same question a few months ago & got no responses. I went ahead and ordered the charger/battery combo from surefire. I am very pleased. They take a while to charge the first time but after that they charge within a couple hours. The output is the same and runtime as far as i can tell is the same. Surefire reports runtime is possibly cut in half, but I have used them hard multiple times and they held up the same as disposable batteries in my opinion (not very scientific i know). i've used them in a streamlight tlr-1s, surefire lx2, and everything else i have that runs a 123 without any issues.

edit to add: the charger and batteries are protected. they won't blow up your light/device, and auto shutoff on the charger when full. charger works in the car too. Should mention, some single cr123a lights absolutely won't accept rechargables because these batteries have a much higher output than disposables. That's why many lights, such as fenix brand, report much higher outputs and runtimes when used with rcr123a batteries. If you're using them in a surefire though you're good, any brands of concern will explicitly advise you, at least in my experience.

bottom line = they work, they save lots'o'cash!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: varmint6</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Have afew rechargables not surefire. I havent used em. I bought a box of 100 123a"s 2 years ago and still have half a box left
Guess it depends on how much you use it . Me personally I like the idea of using new every time not worrying about recharging life. </div></div>

yeah, but if you're always popping in new ones & throwing out barely used batteries, just so you can have a "fresh set," then you're not really using the potential of the batteries.

I have multiple sets of rechargables & can always have "fresh set" of batteries in my devices. Then I'm not throwing away batteries that still have plenty of life, and it's better for the environment too. Again, saves cash. Also, I'm not worried about recharging life. If you get the right stuff, you can recharge many thousands of cycles & the batteries won't have memory issues either. Technology is past all that, if you get the right stuff.

ymmv. If i misunderstood you, my bad.

i have heard negatives about other companys producing rechargable 123 but i have heard that surefire will not sell garbage because there name is on the line, i do know that k2 is making the batterys for surefire and had a couple of problems that have been resolved since, i do know from expireince that the surefire123 disposable batterys are probably the best 123 out there but im hesitant on the rechargeable. keep the posts coming guys thanks again. and anyone buying disposable 123 and have not used surefire i would give them a try, they are a bit cheaper than name brand (energizer) and well worth it, rumors are they are made by duracell and sold to surefire in bulk and thats why they can sell them cheaper, this is not fact but is possible, but i dont think we will ever know for sure. many people also say they look just like rayovac which is also a good battery but like i said before they are all rumors and not facts. thanks again for the posts

TXPACS thanks for the good info! i think i will go through my last dozen and order the rechargables, i did hear not to use them on the flashlights with bulbs, but all my lights are l.e.d. thanks

that was some good reading, and very informative, thank you!

I have been using our rechargeable batteries for the last few months. I absolutely love them. I put them in almost all of my lights and they will pay off a lot in the long run. These batteries are safe in 1 battery lights. They are rated for around 3.2 volts like a standard CR123. The runtime is about half with them than a standard non rechargeable but they are supposed to be rated for around 2,000 charges. If you are using it for around the house a gp light or so forth I recommend them. I do not put them personally in my gun lights though that I shoot because I prefer the extra runtime especially on my ccw guns or house guns.

+1 on using batteryspace.com
These guys are a great resource for rechargeable batteries in general. I bought a bunch of AA and AAA and charger several years ago, run them in my cameras, hearing pro, and everything else I can think of. I don't buy anymore disposables in these sizes. Have not made the jump to rechargeable yet for 123 batteries, but I should. The batteries they sell are all pretty much top notch in my experience and I'm a battery/emergency power wonk, stemming from my days as an Electronics Tech and also much experience with ham and mil comms gear and emergency response preps.

I had a fancy electronic cigarette that ran off 123s so I bought a buncha cheap generic brand rechargeables on amazon and a charger. After the e cig phase, they spent all their time in my 6PX and only now, after roughly 4 years, are they showing signs of slowing down. I paid half of what Surefire asks for a 6 pack of lithiums, got twice the batteries and 4 years of service. I'd call em good.

I also like that I can keep some on the charger so I always have a fresh set. At $6 a fill for the Surefires, I would run em till they die and would have to carry spares because there's no way to determine how much juice they have left; with the rechargeables, I know I have a minimum 10 hours of life every time I leave the house.

I have found by far the cheapest option is having a family member that works for Energizer! Cuts battery costs way down.

pure_mahem Offline
Sergeant

Loc: Vermont
I have found by far the cheapest option is having a family member that works for Energizer! Cuts battery costs way down.

i bet! must be nice

Over on CandlePowerForums, the most highly recommended charger is the Pila and the most often recommended rechargable RC123 is the AW brand.

Have been runing this combo for a couple years in my 3 HDS clicky lights and have no complaints.

One thing to note is that most of these batteries terminate charging at 4.2 volts which is higher than some lights are designed for. As long as your light can use rechargable batteries not at least looking into going with rechargables is costing you money. Even with the cost of the charger and batteries, over time you will be coming out ahead.

With the long shelf life of the primary batteries, keep a dozen on hand for emergencies, and get 2 rechargables for each light you use often. Once you get used to it, you'll wonder why you didn't make the switch sooner.

The AW batteries are rated for at least 1000 cycles, so at $7.00 per battery, that comes out to .7 cents per charge. Also, as noted above, you can always leave the house knowing your light has a full battery.

http://www.lighthound.com/AW-RCR123a-Protected-750-mAh-Battery_p_114.html

http://www.lighthound.com/Pila-IBC-Charg...ger_p_3680.html

http://www.lighthound.com/Pila-IBC-Charger-Car-Adapter_p_3738.html

http://www.lighthound.com/15mm-Charging-Spacer-Aluminum_p_25.html