• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Surefire SOCOM 556 QD Derp!

Altnews

Minuteman
Oct 9, 2010
Boulder, CO
Finally got the chance to take the M4 to the range to zero the Aimpoint and shoot the Surefire SOCOM 556 QD for the first time.

New addition to operating instructions: After indexing the suppressor on the QD adapter, twist the locking ring...and make damned sure you hear or feel the ratchet teeth engage the pawl, don't just give it a twist and think it's secure.

I found that out in a most embarrassing manner as I launched my brand-new can about five yards down-range with the first shot...and I didn't even notice. I recall hearing a *clank* that I thought was odd, but the guys at the neighboring bench had to tell me I'd poked the pooch. I suppose I would have figured it out on the second shot, which never got released.

The really, really, really good news is that the can was completely undamaged. Not even a nick on the baffles. Evidently the projectile made it out before the blast wave sent the can flying.

There is something to be said for screw-on QD adapters I suppose...but then again if the can had just been loosely flopping around on the adapter I might have blown it up.

So double check the ratchet pawl had engaged and give it a tug before opening fire.

Live and learn! At least this wasn't an expensive mistake.

How did it sound to you? I was close to buying one but have heard disappointing remarks about its suppression.

How did it sound to you? I was close to buying one but have heard disappointing remarks about its suppression.

It's true it's not the quietest on the market, it's mostly part of their total signature reduction package and it does indeed reduce recoil, substantially reduces muzzle flip, reduces dust signature and, I found, has an imperceptible effect on zero when used on a CQB M4 with 0 power Aimpoint. at the sight-in session of 50 rounds fired rapid fire from the bench at 100 yards all but two fell within the 8 ring and most within the 9 ring. I consider that acceptable for a carbine.

I have yet to try it at long range or do a critical analysis of POI shift, partly because when I shoot past 300 yards I always shoot .308 and up on a real sniper platform.

While it's not Hollywood quiet, not by a long shot, I think (but cannot technically confirm) that it's ear-safe outdoors. I shot it at 70 feet into a Durablock target indoors right after I got it and it was effing loud, but not nearly as loud as unsupressed. I wouldn't use it in enclosed CQB without hearing protection though. It did however almost completely eliminate the muzzle flash, and this was in the pitch dark of a shop using an IR illuminated target and a Luna SPRS night vision optic that we were testing. A very short blue flame with a very very dim yellow flame totaling less than 4 inches could be seen in the pitch dark.

It's short size, small diameter and light weight make it a fine option for signature reduction if not elimination and I plan to use it at a carbine training course coming up in a couple of weeks. I'll wring it out and let you know how it works when I get finished.

If you're looking for minimum SPL, the SOCOM is not the answer, but if you want signature reduction and adequate noise reduction in a compact, rugged package, the SOCOM fits the bill nicely.

Thanks for the intel. I am an experienced suppressor user and understand that sometimes it's worth trading a few dB for a better mounting system, or lighter weight, or whatever your priority is. If it's "a few" dB louder than a Saker or M4-2K it'll still be on my purchase list. But I don't want a 145dB can. FWIW there's no such thing as a hearing-safe 5.56mm silencer on an AR, at least from a medical standpoint. Always use your earpro!

Thanks for the intel. I am an experienced suppressor user and understand that sometimes it's worth trading a few dB for a better mounting system, or lighter weight, or whatever your priority is. If it's "a few" dB louder than a Saker or M4-2K it'll still be on my purchase list. But I don't want a 145dB can. FWIW there's no such thing as a hearing-safe 5.56mm silencer on an AR, at least from a medical standpoint. Always use your earpro!

If you want to try one of my suppressors to hear what they sound like just ask. I am more than willing to go out and shoot so you can hear what it will sound like before you think about buying. Just let me know what Surefire suppressor you are interested in and what weapon system.

Thanks very much for the offer, I didn't know there was a Surefire employee so close by. I'll shoot you a PM.

Chuck is the man he helped me with some build info for my 300 win and my Socom 7.62.

New problem: Last weekend I attended a Carbine Operator Level 1&2 course given by 303 Arms in Denver. Without reservation I heartily approve of their qualifications and abilities. It's by far the best firearms class I've attended, and in 50 years of shooting I've attended many. I'll detail the class later. Here's the problem:

My new Colt M-4 malfunctioned repeatedly at the course and eventually had to be retired and I finished the first day with a loaner SBR with a 13 oz. trigger. Doubled that a few times. My moniker is "Slappy" now because I keep slapping my trigger. Anyway, I began the course using the M-4 and the SOCOM suppressor, but within 30 rounds the bolt was refusing to go into battery due to (what I thought was) a massive buildup of crud from the gas tube. Hosed it out with Break Free and got it to sort of cycle again and tried again with no joy. Tried it without the suppressor at the recommendation of the instructor, an active SWAT officer, but still had it fail to cycle repeatedly. I found lots of blowback crud in my magazine and coating the rounds in the mag as well, and at times it took two hands to cycle the bolt with the charging handle.

That night I wrenched on the rifle to try to figure out what happened. After hosing it out with Break Free again, and then de-carbonizing the upper with carb cleaner I noticed that the gas tube was not centered in the receiver. It was obviously bent to one side. This is a brand new rifle and this was the 2nd time I tried to fire it, having experienced the same sort of malfunctions at a night shoot some weeks before causing me to retire it then.

After cleaning, I bent the gas tube back so it was centered, lubed it up and found the manual cycling to be much easier. I ran the rifle flawlessly on the 2nd day but without the suppressor.

I have been shooting Federal green-tip penetrator rounds and the instructor thought that the rifle was gumming up because the ammo was "dirty" and because of excessive pressure and blowback through the gas tube due to the carbine-length barrel. I have not had a chance to run the rifle with the same ammo since fixing the gas tube problem, but will do so this weekend.

My question to the Surefire guru is whether the shorter carbine (M-4 semi Colt) gas tube combined with the SOCOM suppressor and green-tip military ammo has caused any problems they know of, or if this was all related to the bent gas tube. I just can't imagine that it's the carbine configuration that's at fault since the SOCOM is designed for that specific rifle I believe.

Any suggestions about reducing fouling?

That suppressor was tested by SOCOM on their Colt 14.5 and 10.3 inch rifles and that is what they chose. Your magazines will get a little dirty but that is just due to blockback. I have put thousands of rounds through my rifles at Carbine courses with no issues. If I am at a high round count class I reapply lube more frequently and take off the suppressor during brakes so it doesn't get too carboned up but other than that I run the hell out of that suppressor.

The fact that your rifle wasn't running right before due to that gas tube being jacked up sounds like the culprit.

I did the exact same thing last week! Ran the SOCOM 6.8 on an LMT 12" 556 piston gun today. I also have a 6.8 SBR as well. The can ran great. Comfortable to shoot.

I put 240 rounds through it at a gun range in Centennial during a ModArmory night vision demo. Hadn't had time to clean it from the last shoot. Other than an occasional help from the forward assist after changing mags and releasing the bolt, the rifle ran flawlessly all evening with the suppressor on. Definitely the gas tube problem, but yeah, I need to bring a spray can of Break Free with me and hose it out occasionally.

Gas tubes are pretty robust and, if bent slightly, can be bent back to "normal" for function. The fact that it was off a bit was likely the culprit, as it was not aligning correctly on the gas carrier key. Once the tube was bent you should be good to go.

Be safe,
FourNineThree

I rarely clean my guns and just keep adding lube. I shot 1,500 rounds at a 2 day course with my 10 inch LWRC and I just wiped it off after each day added more lube and it ran like a champ. I put a little fireclean on the adapter and the inside of the suppressor also and it seems like the crud doesn't stick nearly as bad and I can shoot a lot longer.