• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Surefire SOCOM vs Sandman S or L

Jplum2248

Private
Minuteman
Apr 23, 2020
Looking my first can. Something all around that will work on my Devil Dog AR10 and AR15. At some point adding a .300 blackout, .308 and 7mm bolt action. What are y’alls thoughts on which can and why?

To me, there's not a "do-it-all" suppressor. Just like rifles, there's never a "do-it-all" rifle. It either does one thing incredibly well or does a couple things at a mediocre level. For a hard-use AR15/10 suppressor I run Surefire RC2's, I have no experience with the Sandman but have heard good things about them. For precision rifles Thunderbeast has no competition IMHO. A 6.5 Ultra 7 will be my next purchase. Will a Surefire/Sandman work on a bolt rifle, sure. But, they aren't specifically designed with someone seeking the utmost precision possible - which is where Thunderbeast steps in.

I should also point out that I am getting a Thunderbeast direct thread for precision shooting. Just looking for best non direct thread can.

Reactions: cdeiglmeier
Nice on the TBAC! Can't go wrong with either Surefire or the Sandman (Deadair) then. But my recommendation is to pick one system and run with it unless you want to be buying different muzzle devices/mounting systems all the time. I run Surefire. so all my AR's have Surefire muzzle devices so my Surefire can's can go on any of them.

Reactions: HenryTheAce
I chose to go w/ the Surefire SOCOM II 7.62 RC2 for a host of reasons. The short version is that I can run it on everything from 5.56 to .300 WM. I primarily run it on a .308 bolt gun & it’s far exceeded my expectations. I’ve never had zero issues in any fashion. Whether I go to the range or to a match I’ve never had a problem resulting from the can.

I show up & attach the can & misses are attributable to me sucking, ie bad wind calls, etc. I’ve shot 1K+ w/ accurate & repeatable results. For anyone that says it can’t be done w/ a Dutefire can I’d call BS. This can ran well on my 5.56 gun as well. I’ve had no negative issues. I never ended up shooting it on the WM so nothing to offer there.

I’m not telling you it’s the quietest can on the market or the best precision can on the market. I’m telling you that it works well & will do everything it advertises. *Do your research & decide what you want your prospective can to do to best suit your needs.

My DeadAir Sandman S and L perform just as well as my Thunderbeast Direct thread 30P1 when it comes to POI changes...which is hardly any at all. The Sandmans are full auto rated, no barrel length restrictions, and magnum rated. And their indexing muzzle devices produce consistent and repeatable lock up.

No experience with the Surefires

Reactions: Cheeseburger1976
I'm also considering a Sandman S or L for my AR15/AR10.

Any idea which would be quieter on a gas gun?

I believe the keymo is a taper mount kinda like tbac qd Mount is and it is repeatable or seems to be from my experience so far.

Reactions: HansohnBrothers
I would also suggest Surefire. I got into buying multiple brands for different and applications and got tired of having to get different muzzle devices and nothing being compatible. After getting a 556RC2 I decided to go with Surefire across the board. With their new lightweight titanium precision cans. they really do have a can for every application. But, if you are wanting this can to be used on a bunch of stuff, then I would suggest the 762RC2, or 300SPS.