• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Surefire Suppressor rebuild...need a second opinion from owners

omega26

Private
Minuteman
May 31, 2020
Greeting everyone, I will try to keep this short:

Had my Surefire 300 SPS rebuilt by Surefire in NOV 2019 after an end cap strike from a destabilized round. After getting it back , and a couple range sessions, a couple baffles broke loose (no baffle strikes though, Surefire admitted fault for this).

I sent it in for another rebuild, this time at Surefires cost, and just got it back.

This time, however, there is a weld line literally run from top to bottom longitudinally along the can. This was not there when I bought it nor when I got it back after its first rebuild. Also, the can is weighing in at 510 grams, when it's listed weight is 566 grams (I didn't weigh it before sending it in).

Is it missing an inner tube and they cracked open the housing to rebuild this time or what?? I'm utterly perplexed. Am I off about this weld line? Do any SF can owners out there have this?

After emailing surefire tech support 5 days ago with pictures, and following up with phone calls, I was told the suppressor division spends alot of time at the range so that's why they haven't responded and I can't get an answer. I've got more stories about their poor customer service, but that's for another day.

Any input would be appreciated.

IMG_20200527_130817333_HDR~2.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20200527_130817333_HDR~2.jpg
    IMG_20200527_130817333_HDR~2.jpg
    236.8 KB · Views: 34
I would normally say, "as long as it continues to shoot and maintains it decibel reduction, enjoy it", while the weld line wouldn't necessarily worry me, the delta in the weight causes me pause. I don't see any weld lines like that in my 762ss.

If it were me, given how much SF charges for thier products, you warrant a reply from them. I'd continue to press to get clarification.

SF enjoys a lot of customers that buy a whole bunch of XYZ product, I don't think us little people get a lot of the CS love. I'd shoot it but maybe count baffles and see if they're all there. Possible also that they cut a lot of steel to open it up and the weld is lighter than the steel? But looking at the data stamp unless they restamped it I think that weld's been there.

I'll look at mine when I get home.

UPDATE

Thanks for the responses.

So I finally was able to cut through the SF tech support and speak direct with someone from their Suppressor Division.

Bottom line, apparently some batches of their suppressors are built from tubes that are welded together longitudinally instead of a monocore design. When they bead blasted my can for the new cerakote they did (standard when they do rebuilds), they exposed the weld line which was previously sanded down. They acknowledged their QC messed up because they did not sand down the weld, and to their credit offered to pay for overnight shipping to fix it.

I don't mind the line if it really is just cosmetic, but still seems odd that not all SF suppressor housings are built from a bored out piece of cylindrical steel, but rather a sheet curled over and welded together.

I couldn't get much detail around what batches, why, etc.

Also, I did shoot it today and it performed fine, which I expected. I'm more concerned about life span issues, but according to Surefire there's nothing to worry about.

Reactions: chrome
No truth be told I was driving when I called and the weight difference slipped my mind.

A possible explanation would be a difference in baffle design. I do know that the baffles they rebuilt in the can are of different design than the original baffles I had. They said they are always revising and improving on baffle designs.

It could be that the weight listed on their site simply doesn't reflect the updated baffles.

I may call back and ask about it, if I do I will post an update.

After consulting with a knowledgeable suppressor engineer for another company he didn't buy the line SF fed me. He confirmed my suspicions that it simply doesn't make sense to weld lengthways, and that he has never seen that before in a suppressor.

I also reviewed SFs suppressor patents, and they made no mention of the housing being welded length ways.

It sounds to me that instead of replacing the can what they did was cut it down the side so they work out the guts, do what they had to do and then welded it back up. I find it's bullshit that the industry isn't allowed to destroy an old can, restamp the old SN on a new one and supply that as a replacement, I really can't understand that. Because if anyone wanted to skirt that law anyway there's nothing to stop 'em, it's useless and just makes shit more difficult.

I find it double bullshit that Surefire is selling $1000+ monocore cans? WTF? No wonder their rifle cans aren't that quiet. Monocore may be the titties with .22lr but IME it's piss for centerfire. Cheap to make though, bet they're making a killing.

Good thing to know this about Surefire, I was considering one of their cans for a Mk20. Guess I'll keep looking. Or use use the KAC QDC on it too. I thought they were one of the high end, quality tier one mfg.'s for the military when they were serious about purchasing good shit. I'm wrong?

Got a can back at Liberty right now with an endcap and baffle strike, they got it on 21MAY and I haven't heard anything from 'em yet. It's a monocore can. It was also only $500 something new and I know it won't come back with any weird shit done to it, all they have to do (all they CAN do) is replace the core. A monocore can is so damn simple it hurts.

Looks more like SF is using HREW tube. There's no way they are cutting tubes vertically and welding them back together.

Yea they confirmed that they only break the top off to pull out the baffle stack and inner wall. The weld was only exposed when the bead blasted for a new cerakote job.

I agree with the HREW tube idea, I think they get round tube welded together from their supplier for some batches, and get seamless housing for other batches....of the same suppressor model though, according to the SF suppressor guy I talked to.

Anyone have info on the use of HREW tube steel for suppressor housings? Is it used often in the industry? Major drawbacks? I'm assuming it's a lower cost alternative to a seamless housing, which makes me wonder about SF cans. For the price, you'd expect no corners cut, but I need more info on HREW I guess

I’ve had a Surefire can for a little over 2 years. It’s been problem free so far so I have no complaints. I’d say shoot it & as long as it performs well you’re good. However, if it doesn’t perform at 100% they owe you a replacement can or a refund.

1. You're the customer.
2. You paid money in exchange for their product.
3. They owe you a product that performs to the level / expectations stated.