• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Surgeon 591 extractor modification

Pusher591

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Jun 18, 2009
    Gaston County
    Can I have my 591 fitted with the M16 style extractor? Would it be beneficial versus the cost to have this done; as I do not know if it's even feasible?

It's currently being built so I could make the change and hopefully would not set the build time back too much if it's not that big of a deal?

**If this has been covered, sorry. I was unable to get anything from the search because of my location right now.**

Re: Surgeon 591 extractor modification

Nothing as of yet since I do not have it, just wondering if it's possible and at what cost. Just more of an inquiring minds question.

Great News! On your list of life's to-dos, all matters regarding modifying your new "in production" 591 receiver can be crossed off the list. Now, as to your concerns about changing the color of your scopes night illumination........

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RollingThunder51</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Great News! On your list of life's to-dos, all matters regarding modifying your new "in production" 591 receiver can be crossed off the list. Now, as to your concerns about changing the color of your scopes night illumination........
    </div></div>

Private PM sent about your comment.

Just to clarify my rifle is being built, not my action. My smith currently has my action in hand. I was just wondering if it can be done. I understand why Surgeon prefers the Remington extractor, I was just curious if someone wanted to make that modification, would it be worth it.

If you have an opinion on this subject, please post your opinion but if you want to come here to make jack ass comments like this Internet cowboy above, Takd it somewhere else please.

Respectfully
    Taylor

In my opinion I had a sako extractor installed in one of my Remington 700 bolt and I would not do it again. It worked well in the beginning but now its failing to eject. The factory extractor is more reliable in the long run.

Don't do it! It accomplishes nothing but draining your wallet. Note the location of the standard extractor, the 3 o'clock position right behind the lug. A sako or M16 extractor must be placed on top of the lug, which changes the angle of ejection. Most likely up into the bottom of your windage turret.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cpl Snafu</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Don't do it! It accomplishes nothing but draining your wallet. Note the location of the standard extractor, the 3 o'clock position right behind the lug. A sako or M16 extractor must be placed on top of the lug, which changes the angle of ejection. Most likely up into the bottom of your windage turret. </div></div>

This is so true, don't even bother with it

Thanks for the responses, and RollingThunder is GTG, just a miscommunication.