• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Surgeon 591 WSM Action or Defiance XM Action for a 6.5 PRC build??

toader

Private
Minuteman
Jan 25, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
Looking to build a 6.5 PRC rifle for hunting and want to get the right action for this cartridge....I will be setting it up with a BDL style floor plate. Which action would be best for this build??

I currently run all Surgeon actions and like them very much...just trying to get the best action to feed this cartridge smoothly and reliably in the field.

Thanks!!

I'm running a 6.5 saum in a Defiance deviant with no issues now. I had a bad magazine that would give mr problems but the manufacturer stepped up and replaced it with a good one.

Another concern I have with the Surgeon WSM action is that it has a .550" bolt face, and the 6.5 PRC cartridge has a bolt face of .532"..….will this be an issue??

Another concern I have with the Surgeon WSM action is that it has a .550" bolt face, and the 6.5 PRC cartridge has a bolt face of .532"..….will this be an issue??
The case rim diameter of a WSM cartridge is .535".

I dont know much about the cartridge your using. But far as actions go. I own both Surgeon and Defiance Deviant tactical. Bot are great but if I had to just pick 1 . My choice would be Defiance every time. Action tolerance are a bit tighter and smoother. When spec out and action the option you have plenty of option.

I have both and they are both super nice. Defiance offers a million ways to customize your action, but I don't think I would change anything about the Surgeon even if I could. Defiance is probably the smoother of the two, but be careful when spec'ing out your Defiance. In stock form, the bolt/action clearance is so tight that it can be prone to binding or jamming in the field (important for a hunting rifle). I know SAC orders their actions from Defiance with additional clearance to improve reliability. Surgeons are good to go out of the box.

Can’t go wrong with either but having both, my preference is the Surgeon. I prefer it’s bolt lift over Defiance. The Defiance is tighter clearanced as mentioned but once coating wore in its super slick.

One of the biggest differences will be the extra length of the XM action. I run Defiance XM in a 7 WSM and having the ability to load longer than a regular action length makes it easy to push the 180 -195 class bullets....... I don't think that surgeon offers this option.

This said, I think the PRC has been designed accordingly where having the ability to load a longer OAL is not necessary.

Downside to the XM, bottom metal choices are limited, I'm running the BDL option from defiance and it works well but that's about the only option, I've heard there's another option but no first hand experience with a magazine system

Reactions: toader
I have been looking at the lone peak fuzion ti med length action for a similar build. They advertise a med length bdl floorplate made by Hawkins. It allows for approx 3.2” coal I think. So that may be another bdl option.