• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Surgeon Action?

I couldn't be happier with my 591

View attachment 7314661
20200429_185120.jpg

I have owned most of the above mentioned actions and hands down Surgeon is my favorite. Only other action i have been really impressed w is Lone Peak Fusion. My $1800 Defiance is finally breaking in after 500 rounds and many lubed cycles.

My LPA Fuzion Medium should ship this week... I cannot wait to get my hands on it. I have yet to hear a bad thing about them!

They are about to start cranking them out at a fast pace.

I would say that's a pretty accurate statement...

Give them a call 623-780-1050 ask for Cory C. or Glenn M. I'm sure they will get you in the mix...

Mike R.

@MikeRTacOps

Mike,

Would you care to comment on any specific things you do to tune the action? Do you find them ready to go as shipped?

Thanks!

RTH

Reactions: kthomas
Would you care to comment on any specific things you do to tune the action? Do you find them ready to go as shipped?

Thanks!

RTH

Let me start here Surgeon makes a fantastic product. We use them more than any other custom action. For most builders they are ready to barrel up. We do a few extra THINGS that are a little unorthodox, some of my procedures are proprietary. Most other builders would probably say what we do doesn’t look good on paper, but the results are completely opposite. We also do a little work on the bolts and our barrel receiver fit has an extremely high torque. The high torque does not allow the molecular structure to change much thus allowing my Cold Bore Shot to not deviate. These procedures are a portion of our prescription for Precision / accuracy. No doubt. We also bake the actions on a cold start. They are removed the following day. These proprietary procedures along with our reamer designs and our chambering process allows us to present our ground zero operational Precision / accuracy.

I hope that Clarifies some of my protocol and procedures…

Mike R.

Thanks!

RTH

Let me start here Surgeon makes a fantastic product. We use them more than any other custom action. For most builders they are ready to barrel up. We do a few extra THINGS that are a little unorthodox, some of my procedures are proprietary. Most other builders would probably say what we do doesn’t look good on paper, but the results are completely opposite. We also do a little work on the bolts and our barrel receiver fit has an extremely high torque. The high torque does not allow the molecular structure to change much thus allowing my Cold Bore Shot to not deviate. These procedures are a portion of our prescription for Precision / accuracy. No doubt. We also bake the actions on a cold start. They are removed the following day. These proprietary procedures along with our reamer designs and our chambering process allows us to present our ground zero operational Precision / accuracy.

I hope that Clarifies some of my protocol and procedures…

Mike R.
Does this mean the barrelled action has to come back to you for barrel swaps?

Does this mean the barrelled action has to come back to you for barrel swaps?

You might want to consider it :) There have been a few smiths that broke their action wrenches trying to remove our barrels. Feel free to give me a shout when ever your GTG 310-275-8797...

Mike R.

Just got off the phone with Mark from Short Action Custom we had an in-depth conversation about some smith to smith protocol and procedures. He's a fantastic guy and a great builder I knew when he started out back in the day he'd build a GREAT PRODUCT (S). I like Mark very much definitely a class act and a gentleman, I'm impressed with his work and knowledge . Surgeon came up in our conversation and I mentioned they are in full production and it looks like he's coming onboard and he's contacting them today...

Mark I drink MGD lol (y)

Mike R.

Hopefully smiths can start stocking a few Surgeons. Still waiting on my call from Surgeon on a back ordered action.

Short actions are rolling out now, long actions are soon to follow. Dont know a specific time frame though. No idea what the backlog looks like, I'd call and see if they can give you a specific time frame.

Reactions: BCX
I would love to see Surgeon rise again. So much to like. Integral recoil lug, integral Pic rail, plenty of clearance in raceways and the great Remington extractor.

Reactions: kthomas and toader
Thats the one Dan!! Need to trade my $1800 Defiance Deviant 338 action Proof barrel for another Surgeon XL...

Reactions: Ep1985
Great to hear that SAC might be on board ... Mark built my current rifle and it is great!

@MikeRTacOps
Thank you for the details. I just saw your post.
Really appreciate it.
RTH

Looks like he is they had a solid phone conversation; all is GTG…

Your most welcome RTH it was my pleasure…

Mike R

The Surgeon XL w a 1.350 tenon and 33 inch long barrel that weighs is at 10lbs. Now tell me tenon length doesn't matter? I guess you could bed the first few inches of barrel in a stock but that doesn't always work in a chassis.
Here's my favorite Tac 70 (.338LM) built on a Surgeon 1581XL. To me, the full Birdsong Camo is what makes this rifle extra special. Excellent optic too! If you notice the Recoil Pad is missing in photos #1 & #6, it's because Mike had to remove it to fit the Tac 70 in his XL Case. Mike's working on a 2XL Case to accommodate Big Boys like the Tac 70.

Tac Ops Tac 70 .338LM built on Surgeon 1581XL in Manners Stock:

Mike had to remove the Recoil Pad to fit the Tac 70 in an XL Case. Mike is working on a 2XL Case to accommodate Big Boys:

Here's the Tac 70 wearing a PMII 5-25[56] CCW:

Last edited:
Here's my favorite Tac 70 (.338LM) built on a Surgeon 1581XL. To me, the full Birdsong Camo is what makes this rifle extra special. Excellent optic too!

Tac Ops Tac 70 .338LM built on Surgeon 1581XL in Manners Stock:

Here's the Tac 70 wearing a PMII 5-25[56] CCW:

God damn that’s the baddest mother fucker I ever seen in .338 LM wow 😳 nice stick man

Reactions: DIBBS and BCX
I remember that build like yesterday ;) Maybe 8 years ago I'll have to check the computer for shits and giggles...

Mike R.

God damn that’s the baddest mother fucker I ever seen in .338 LM wow 😳 nice stick man
Thanks. IT IS badass, but that Tac 70 isn't mine. I don't have a range within 3 hours drive that will stretch the legs on my X-Ray 66, let alone a Tac 70. And truth be told, that Tac 70 is well beyond my means. Even handloading a .338LM is expensive to feed!

Reactions: BCX
Taste vary.

I appreciate the features of many actions.
Borden, Lone Peak Arms, Remington 700 etc.

For Tough+accurate+never fail reliability in a rough environment I choose Surgeon.

I take no offense to those that make or promote other choices.

This got by me I wanted to say great statement (s) and I completely agree. I'll be keeping my glass on you ;)

Mike R.

FINALLY received my Surgeon 1086! Bought one from EuroOptic. Purchased yesterday, shipped the same day and picked it up from my local gun shop today. Good service!!

Is that a 1.450 barrel shank?

Off the top of my head I believe its 1.350

Mike R.

Me too if it wasn't such a pain in the ass to get one nowadays!! (1086 w/ magnum bolt face)
I don’t know what’s up in the US but here in Australia it seems like every premium firearms dealer has them in stock or can get them within a few months...
I’ve had my heart set on a surgeon action for my first build for years mainly because it was the first custom action I was introduced to.
I know they have negatives based off of what I have read on the hide but to me it seems like they might be a good all rounder??

What negatives? Surgeon is probably the toughest,, longest lasting action currently produced. I will take a CM action over a stainless action any day.

I don’t know what’s up in the US but here in Australia it seems like every premium firearms dealer has them in stock or can get them within a few months...
I’ve had my heart set on a surgeon action for my first build for years mainly because it was the first custom action I was introduced to.
I know they have negatives based off of what I have read on the hide but to me it seems like they might be a good all rounder??

Sir,
When @MikeRTacOps uses them I think it's safe to say they have no major flaws and fewer downside issues than about anything out there.
I have used them since they came out and never had an issue. Basically they are little tanks.

there are so many other actions out there that are currently better values: Curtis, Defiance, Zematt, Kelly atlas....is surgeon good yes but it comes unfinished, and rusts almost instantly upon touching; the trigger sear is finicky as fuck, you will have to contact timiny and get a sear that is specifically made for Surgeon, Remington, Huber, Gesilee, regular Timiny just don't work....and they are extremely heavy.....so do I hate my surgeon no, but it took a shit ton of money and trial and error to get it to shoot reliably; conversely I have never had that issue with any other of my custom actions

Let's see...…………..believe this or believe Mike Rescigno, the maker of TacOps rifles?

Choices, choices.…..

Edit: don't GAF about how many rifles you've had. How many have you made that are in the hands of the most elite police units in the country?