• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Surgeon Action?

Great. Then we can agree Curtis is dogshit compared to a Surgeon.

def dog shit compared to a surgeon I think all the mentioned actions can’t hold a candle to surgeon ..but I’m not calling them junk at all . we can’t use a few flaws or mishaps to guide us to other brands. One mans treasure is another’s junk. What shoots good to some doesn’t impress others. Some people are happy with 1/2” guns while others are happy with 1/4” guns and then there’s guys who demand guns that shoot in the 0’s well under 1/4” inch. Ya gotta pick your poison ☠

Mike @ tacops can make a factory Remington action outperform and at the worst case which I never really seen but hang with any thing so when you Ya think of that it’s a no brainer do we really even need “custom actions lol”

Reactions: BCX and Tokay444
Taste vary.

I appreciate the features of many actions.
Borden, Lone Peak Arms, Remington 700 etc.

For Tough+accurate+never fail reliability in a rough environment I choose Surgeon.

I take no offense to those that make or promote other choices.
only field failure I have ever had as been a surgeon extractor break during a hunt, still shoot it still like it, but it the only fail I've had with any custom action in 25 years

only field failure I have ever had as been a surgeon extractor break during a hunt, still shoot it still like it, but it the only fail I've had with any custom action in 25 years
Anything mechanical can have an issue and I wouldn’t blame surgeon ? though think it was just what ya said a broken extractor ya know I had that in glocks and I still shoot them just like you said but it’s not a Glock problem just can happen very rare but it can

The fact that @MikeRTacOps likes them makes me appreciate mine more. Mike knows a bit about accuracy and actions. ?

I would love to see Surgeon come back to prominence again. I remember when I first got into the precision rifle game, my first rifle was a cerakoted GAP Crusader with a Defiance Rebel action. Taking it to PRS matches was a frustrating affair as that action would lock up at the mere sight of dust. All the Surgeons around me would be running like a sewing machine, while I was pulling the bolt out and cleaning the action between damn near every stage.

Surgeons always seemed like a great action. Between the new ownership, their directives to use their actions for their own builds while letting the supply of their individual action sales dry up, and new actions coming on to the scene really saw their falling from grace.

Our community can be a very cliquish bunch. If Preston comes back and steers the ship around, that would be awesome for us consumers. No doubt they are great actions, and it would be cool to see them regain some market share on the action scene again.

First rifle I bought getting back into precision rifle was a Beanland rifle with a SA Surgeon 591 and Krieger barrel, Beanland's take on the "CSR" per se. Found it here in the EE a few years ago.

This thread reconfirms that purchase. Enjoyed each round I've put through the tube.

20200407_132517.jpg

Has Curtis fixed the bolt body diameter issue yet? No, that’s right. Joel had to start Terminus to deal with that issue because Curtis wouldn’t. Has Curtis begun replying to customers with junk actions that don’t work directly out of the box yet? Nope. Haven’t seen that either.

• Haha
Reactions: tacops1
Has Curtis fixed the bolt body diameter issue yet? No, that’s right. Joel had to start Terminus to deal with that issue because Curtis wouldn’t. Has Curtis begun replying to customers with junk actions that don’t work directly out of the box yet? Nope. Haven’t seen that either.
Yes this it’s horrible

Honest question here, not looking for flames, I am aware of the split and the resulting formation of the Terminus, but is this issue with a certain specific Curtis Action (vector or axiom)? Haven't heard of the specific bolt body diameter issue before.

Honest question here, not looking for flames, I am aware of the split and the resulting formation of the Terminus, but is this issue with a certain specific Curtis Action (vector or axiom)? Haven't heard of the specific bolt body diameter issue before.
The main issue IS the large bolt body diameter.

I have a shooting buddy that's had both actions, both pretty much unshootable from the factory.

One of the features that I like most is the provision for the barrel tenon- it is significantly deeper, allowing for a more rigid barrel to action interface.

Surgeons are great, no doubt.

But that thing above is not actually true. Tenon length has little to do with the accuracy potential of the barrel joint.

This may get slightly convoluted and may need a separate thread, as it may be deemed outside the scope of the OP's original post:

In a free floated rifle, which may be an elementary consideration in building a long range rifle system, having a greater contact/surface area/depth relationship between the barrel and action, will simply strengthen the overall rifle. This will translate to a more robust and 'rigid' platform, where barrel harmonics and consistency come into play. If nothing else, having a stronger, more mission capable system will translate to more confidence and sometimes that is all that is needed to take a shooter to the next level. Like my friend the badger says "FTE!"

The Surgeon XL w a 1.350 tenon and 33 inch long barrel that weighs is at 10lbs. Now tell me tenon length doesn't matter? I guess you could bed the first few inches of barrel in a stock but that doesn't always work in a chassis.

Thanks for that update Mike ... looking forward to what's coming. Gives me time to plan my build.

This would be a big step back in the right direction for them.

You guys are most welcome And just to clarify the issue at hand I just got off the phone with Glenn M. at SAC and its Official Preston is back on board 100% as of last week. I think things will change rapidly and that's a good thing for the industry.

To the other comments Thank You Guys for the kind words Much appreciated.

Don't want to go out too much out on a limb here but Tac Ops and Surgeon are having a face to face meeting In Arizona as soon as the lockdown is over. I promised not to let the cat out of the bag but being that everyone is on lockdown right now I'll throw a little teaser out there…

Mike R.

Thanks for that update Mike ... looking forward to what's coming. Gives me time to plan my build.

This would be a big step back in the right direction for them.

You guys are most welcome And just to clarify the issue at hand I just got off the phone with Glenn M. at SAC and its Official Preston is back on board 100% as of last week. I think things will change rapidly and that's a good thing for the industry.

To the other comments Thank You Guys for the kind words Much appreciated.

Don't want to go out too much out on a limb here but Tac Ops and Surgeon are having a face to face meeting In Arizona as soon as the lockdown is over. I promised not to let the cat out of the bag but being that everyone is on lockdown right now I'll throw a little teaser out there…

Mike R.
WOO!!!

Reactions: MikeRTacOps
Was going to hijack another thread but thought better of it ...

Are Surgeon actions competitive with today's modern top tier offerings from Defiance, Impact, etc.? I don't hear much talk about them. Had one a few years ago that I loved. Looking to collect pieces for a new 6mm build and was thinking of that direction again. I'm not concerned about swapping barrels if that is part of the explanation.

The 591 is "OK" but, there are other options out there. The Remington 700 style extractor has always been the weak link to me. That's the only thing I'd change on the 591. I've built more than a few on the 591 and they all shot lights out but, after all, the receiver is just a fire control device.

The 591 is "OK" but, there are other options out there. The Remington 700 style extractor has always been the weak link to me. That's the only thing I'd change on the 591. I've built more than a few on the 591 and they all shot lights out but, after all, the receiver is just a fire control device.
A 591 has been available with an M16 extractor or a Remington extractor for a few years.

Reactions: BCX
A 591 has been available with an M16 extractor or a Remington extractor for a few years.

Well, there you go. I haven't used them for quite sometime. I'd purchase with confidence. Like I said, that was my only hang up. They're 110% gold for field rifles.

Im about to grab a short action Surgeon 591 308 bolt face, M16 extractor,small firing pin, action, does it matter when its made or are all Surgeon 591's good to go for a build?not trying to hijack the thread jus thought it might be included, Thanks in Advance.

-Reagan

Surgeon makes great actions, no doubt. I'll be putting one up for sale on the forum soon. XL repeater with 22" 300wm Rock Creek barrel sitting on a McM A-5, it's from the days of old management. Selling to fund a Terminus Helios build. Will post link to thread here within a week or so.

Reactions: BCX
Gradous is a big Surgeon fan. I trust guys like Mike R and Robert (to the tune of 4 Surgeon actions) and I'll let the kids play with all the shiny new actions.
I know my first real expensive high end bolt gun was a surgeon factory build and couldn’t be more impressed with the way it grouped a total freak shooter in the zeros. I owned others from custom builders on here the price range was 1-2k less (3-4K) they couldn’t touch this rifle.

The only person in the industry I trust to exceed this rifle is Mike R at Tacops in my opinion... so between the two companies or Mike using a surgeon 😷 💀 action is a win win. For the above posts anything involving Mike and Surgeon is a good thing. I can’t wait to see what develops
I’m selling my surgeon at this time anyone wanting a rare unicorn of a shooter in mint factory condition during a time frame of excellence at the company pm me ASAP

Attachments

• BCB0F480-D5AC-4EE7-93B7-620359C4AC81.jpeg
    BCB0F480-D5AC-4EE7-93B7-620359C4AC81.jpeg
    585.3 KB · Views: 96
Last edited:
Do you prefer the Remington or Mini-16 style extractor on the Surgeon?

Hands down Remington style 100% . If one fails you can replace it in 5 seconds.

I've seen the sako's or m16 styles fail during POST CERT Sniper Schools and if you don't have another one on hand your done for the day...

Mike R.

Compared to @MikeRTacOps have far less experience but have reached exactly the same conclusion.

Preston did not utilize the Remington extractor due to being frugal

Reactions: toader
Mine has had a few barrels on it, and it has never let me down, I am going to send my bolt to Gretan to have the firing pin bushed for a small diameter pin, then I'm gonna have a 6gt tube installed. If I was in the market today for a action I would get a Impact, small diameter firing pin, ION or whatever you call it coating, all one piece body, and I absolutely love the fact that I can order a barrel screw it on my self, and it will shoot lights out.

Surgeon is actively holding tolerances to allow prefits.

Remington extractors are a plus not a minus in my book.

I wish you guys would quit spoiling the used market with these glowing real world reports. I saw a LH Surgeon sell here for under $700.

Is the 591 ejection port the same length as a Remington? Any stock modifications required to a Manners stock that was cut for a Remington 700 short action?

Is the 591 ejection port the same length as a Remington? Any stock modifications required to a Manners stock that was cut for a Remington 700 short action?

I'm going off the top of my head but I'd say I would be some what accurate here...

Remington 700 ejection port 2 3/8
Surgeon 591 ejection port 2 1/2

As far as the stock you have that's cut for the Remington 700 you'd need to make some Mods...
As far as the Mods if you dont have OCD you'll be good to go but if you suffer with it then you wont be happy ;)

Mike R.

Edited for model on Remington

M6Z I shot you a PM hit me back when your on Comms...

Mike R.

As many have said, Surgeon does make great actions. And as Mike R. said, when a non-LEO client wants a custom action instead of having Mike re-work a Remington 700 Mike R. uses Surgeon actions (most notably the 1581XL for the Tac 70 (.338 LM) and the 591 and 1086 for various other calibers. Off the top of my head aside from the ubiquitous .308 - the .260 Remington, 6.5 Swede, and 6.5 Creedmoor come-to-mind. It certainly bodes well for the Surgeon lineup that Preston will be overseeing production.

Most accurate rifle I’ve ever owned, sold it to a fellow member on here last year. Surgeon built scalpel and the process was smooth and rifle was actually completed a few months earlier than quoted, my experience was great with them.

Attachments

• 0C13CDEE-AD3F-4ACD-97E6-D939AB10932C.jpeg
    0C13CDEE-AD3F-4ACD-97E6-D939AB10932C.jpeg
    653.1 KB · Views: 98
Most accurate rifle I’ve ever owned, sold it to a fellow member on here last year. Surgeon built scalpel and the process was smooth and rifle was actually completed a few months earlier than quoted, my experience was great with them.
I'm predicting there will be more and more stories like these now that production will be ramped up.

Reactions: MPrimo
My experience with the quality and reliability of Surgeon Actions has been terrific.

Just recently, I had a minor issue
with a bolt (NOT Surgeon related) - called, and immediately spoke to Dave A. -- sent the bolt in, and the very day it arrived,
I received a personal call about the issue and that it would be addressed the next day.

Simply OUTSTANDING customer service.

Anyone looking to buy one like new pm me use that stimulus $$$$

Attachments

• FA5B3750-86E9-4688-9C33-09EB5B633836.jpeg
    FA5B3750-86E9-4688-9C33-09EB5B633836.jpeg
    585.3 KB · Views: 74
  • 2CC6EE3E-CBB6-4479-8F7B-E4C642053EC3.jpeg
    2CC6EE3E-CBB6-4479-8F7B-E4C642053EC3.jpeg
    507.2 KB · Views: 71
I'm predicting there will be more and more stories like these now that production will be ramped up.

Your Predicting is Dead Nuts On as they are coming in Fast and that's a good thing. We have a box full of them inbound ;)

Mike R.