• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Surgeon Build Advice

SandFam3

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
May 9, 2017
Missouri
Hi Guys,

I’m going to be taking a bunch of classes over the next year or two, and I’m kinda done with my Savage rifles, so time to upgrade to a more bulletproof rifle. Goal of the build is to have a rugged mid-weight 6.5CM rifle for classes and more formal learning. Here’s what I’m thinking based on what I’ve gleaned from time on here - already have the action and optic:

Surgeon 591
Bartlein 1:8 22in 6.5CM - medium or heavy Palma
Surefire Brake
Manners T4-A with mini chassis
Vortex Razor 5-20X50

I may take a class or two with my R700 308 to get some in-person feedback as well prior to completing the build.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Reactions: RTH1800
Unless you needing the brake for a suppressor there’s better options like the Heathen for instance.

Also the original Razor is still viable but outdated and the gen II razor is a great option.

Reactions: SandFam3
Thanks for the feedback. I'm thinking of running a suppressor at some point, and Surefire seems to be one of the better QD mounts for repeatability. Definitely have considered upgrading to the Gen 2 Razor, but the weight is a downside.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm thinking of running a suppressor at some point, and Surefire seems to be one of the better QD mounts for repeatability. Definitely have considered upgrading to the Gen 2 Razor, but the weight is a downside.
Heavy is good for a target rifle.
look at the area 419 suppressor mount and brakes.

The only thing I’d to change is a different brake. The ability to remove that brake is valuable to me for cleaning the crown and the brake itself. I do understand why you chose the surefire for suppressor options though. I’m really happy with the hellfire system.

The only thing I’d to change is a different brake. The ability to remove that brake is valuable to me for cleaning the crown and the brake itself. I do understand why you chose the surefire for suppressor options though. I’m really happy with the hellfire system.

Just checked out the 419 system - will definitely consider that. Wasn’t aware of the suppressor mount options, thanks!

You don’t need QD for this rifle, get yourself a purpose built precision can.

Thanks for the advice guys. I was kinda leaning towards trying to standardize on a single suppressor mount across all platforms, but it seems like the better route is to have 2 cans - a "blaster" QD can for the semi's and a precision brake/direct thread TBAC.

FWIW, I shoot a Surefire SOMCOM II 7.62 RC2 can on a bolt gun w/ no issues. I’ve shot it to 1K+ w/ a .308 & achieved accurate & repeatable results. It pays to lube the brake before attaching the suppressor. If you don’t, it can get stuck or at least takes some effort to break it free.

I’m not telling you the RC2 is better than anything else currently on the market. What I will say say is that this can is suitable for this need. I made a pros / cons list & this suppressor best met my established criteria. This can also works really well while burning it down w/ a M4 as well.

EDIT: misspelled word.

Last edited:
Reactions: SandFam3