• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Surgeon Remedy 338 Lapua for $3000 on Armslist...Too good to be true?

Well, as mentioned it's less than half original price (retail) so it COULD be a fantastic deal....................................usually if it's too good to be true there's a reason for it. Pictures look great but round count, etc.?

I bought a used like new Nighforce off of that site for $900 shipped. Was a damn good deal. Came from SC to GA. No issues.

Im about to talk to the guy. For that price, Ill fly out and pick it up! I just have a hard time sending a $3000 MO to someone I dont know... ;)

He says he take bank transfer or paypal. If its a hoax, can I recoup my money through Paypal? Sorry fellas, just my first time doing this. Thanks for the help.

He says he take bank transfer or paypal. If its a hoax, can I recoup my money through Paypal? Sorry fellas, just my first time doing this. Thanks for the help.

No. You'd have to do a discreet transfer and there's really no way of involving paypal that'd work in your favor.

I'd suggest money orders and keep the receipts...

Or even better, take a "vacation" and go there, yourself...

Seems too good to be true, IMHO.

Ok. Thanks man. Im vetting him. Its listed on GB with the same pics for double that price. Im gonna message the guy on GB and pick up the conversation and see if its the same guy. The guy on GB has good feedback. If the guy on GB doesnt know what Im talking about, Ill have him. I told him Im about to buy a plane ticket to come pick it up... he said ok. Ill keep you guys posted. All my friends in AZ live in Yuma.

Last edited:
This morning on the same site I found a DTA 338 lapua for $1900
And I message the guy and he reply back and was very cooperative
'he wanted me to pay so he would ship the rifle to my FFL but when I told him I was going there face to face ,
he never reply back,
What was very suspicious is the fact that he posted it in NC but the guy is in NH and I'm like WTF :confused:

Proceed with caution! I know the feeling of wanting it to be true. I had similar deal on a Freedom Arms m83 once, everything checked out but didn't FEEL right. I pulled the plug and a week later the guy was shut down due to fraud. I'm not saying deals don't exist, just that it is a game that these guys play all the time. They count on you being a trusting upstanding person.

Last edited:
If it was me I would tell him to take some more detailed pics of it . Bolt face , muzzle end pic , bottom pic etc.. That way you know at least he has it.

Jimmy
I asked him for pics of the bolt face. I then sent an email stating that I have a friend in Phoenix that Im going to have check out the rifle and he'll have cash in hand.
I also messaged the gentleman on GB basically picking up the conversation where we left off on email. Totally different dude. Now, he wont answer my emails. Too many pointy questions I guess. Thanks bud.

338 Norma
I messaged the guy from Rocke guns and he called me a few minutes ago. He said the guy is a fraud. I assumed this since I asked for more detailed pictures of the gun and other specifics. Ive got another one lined up... Cheers mates.

338 Norma
I messaged the guy from Rocke guns and he called me a few minutes ago. He said the guy is a fraud. I assumed this since I asked for more detailed pictures of the gun and other specifics. Ive got another one lined up... Cheers mates.

Glad you did not loose any money!!!!!!

I made contact with the guy and asked to meet him in person and he agreed to it. Not saying he woyld show up to it. But thats what I got

I got the same thing. Did he say he was in chandler, AZ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, he said he would meet with me man. I told him I was guying a plane ticket. I then said Im having a friend meet him who lives near him and he pooped smoke... Theres a guy that knows about him who's a legit seller on GB. He said its bullshit.

I got the same thing. Did he say he was in chandler, AZ?

Yes. He said he was in chandler AZ. He sent me a bunch of different pics, different from the Armslist ad also. It's a shame people prey on gun owners that they know will be honest and trusting.

I've started asking folks that have deals I am interested in to take a photo of the rifle with their drives license next to it. If they are not comfortable sending me a photo to prove who they are, I don't feel inclined to send them large amounts of money.

Surgeon has/had some PSR rifles in 338 Lapua for 5868.00 while supplies last. Normally 6520.00. That was as of May 6th.

It sounds like you already have your answer for this. I have been through similar experiences on ARMSLIST as well. There are regular scams on there like the time I was looking for a .50 BMG and found the same picture and description of the weapon on ARMSLIST being sold in four different states at a much reduced price-an obvious scam. I have also seen the scam where a picture is copied from Gunbroker and used on ARMSLIST at a much reduced price. The trick is to verify the authenticity of the seller. I like to get their e-mail address, their physical address, their phone number, and their full name and make sure they all coincide with one another. Go on zillow and google earth and verify that they live where they say they live. I like the idea of getting a picture of them with the item and a picture of their drivers license to make sure they and their DL match. Also, ask to skype and talk on the phone with them. Currently, I am looking to purchase a high-end optic and will not send that kind of $ without due diligence. If the seller does not want to confirm their identity and what they are selling, then they are scamming you. I also prefer sending USPS money orders, and letting the seller know this, as it is a federal offense committing mail fraud, especially when crossing multiple state borders. I would also recommend to you the ultimate safety-an escrow service, which is a professional third party company which verifies you depositing the money to them, then you receive the item, the escrow service releases the money to the seller. Check out safefunds.com (there are others of course, just google it). It only costs $58 to securely make an online transfer of an item of value from $2-4K. I'll let you know if the guy I am dealing with backs out or not on a $2500 scope. I just told him I will only do the transaction thru an escrow service. He lives in TX and I live in MI. He is selling the scope for about $1K below cost.

Reactions: ThorLRP
ARMSLIST Fraud Issues

It sounds like you already have your answer for this. I have been through similar experiences on ARMSLIST as well. There are regular scams on there like the time I was looking for a .50 BMG and found the same picture and description of the weapon on ARMSLIST being sold in four different states at a much reduced price-an obvious scam. I have also seen the scam where a picture is copied from Gunbroker and used on ARMSLIST at a much reduced price. The trick is to verify the authenticity of the seller. I like to get their e-mail address, their physical address, their phone number, and their full name and make sure they all coincide with one another. Go on zillow and google earth and verify that they live where they say they live. I like the idea of getting a picture of them with the item and a picture of their drivers license to make sure they and their DL match. Also, ask to skype and talk on the phone with them. Currently, I am looking to purchase a high-end optic and will not send that kind of $ without due diligence. If the seller does not want to confirm their identity and what they are selling, then they are scamming you. I also prefer sending USPS money orders, and letting the seller know this, as it is a federal offense committing mail fraud, especially when crossing multiple state borders. I would also recommend to you the ultimate safety-an escrow service, which is a professional third party company which verifies you depositing the money to them, then you receive the item, the escrow service releases the money to the seller. Check out safefunds.com (there are others of course, just google it). It only costs $58 to securely make an online transfer of an item of value from $2-4K. I'll let you know if the guy I am dealing with backs out or not on a $2500 scope. I just told him I will only do the transaction thru an escrow service. He lives in TX and I live in MI. He is selling the scope for about $1K below cost.

The guy has backed out once I insisted on using an escrow service. I flagged his posting and several other by the same guy.

I've started asking folks that have deals I am interested in to take a photo of the rifle with their drives license next to it. If they are not comfortable sending me a photo to prove who they are, I don't feel inclined to send them large amounts of money.

I mean who knows if they would be comfortable with this.. stealing someones ID does not take much this along with an email address would be a good start. Do the spoon test if they cant take a picture of the rifle with a spoon it is not real and if they do you know its real.. Unfortunately people are scum bags id take a picture of an obscure household item with the firearm before I did my ID.

I got lucky in that the payment I sent for a shotgun I purchased off of armslist was returned to me by the person at the addy I sent it to. They said they got 3 checks for the same shotgun. They called the post office and the secret service about it, as they were afraid they would get in trouble for opening the mail, even though it was addressed to them. The guy had a copy of their drivers license and I got the ID of his contact at the USPS who was cashing his PMO's. I traced him to Nigeria and gave all my info to the Feds, who have done nothing. The easiest thing is not to do business with armslist for anything in a high dollar amount.

Anyone fucking dumb enough to not see the scam for what it is, deserves to lose their money.

Armslist has a ton of them...usually reposts from another site or a gun sold earlier on there.

Do your due diligence and you won't get ripped off.

You can easily tell which posts are scams and which aren't.

There are good deals out there, but all of the scams are obvious. This is one of them. Anyone with an IQ above room temp can see this as a scam from a mile away.

I had a rifle on consignment with a reputable FFL in Colorado who had it listed on gunbroker. I was searching on armslist and came across my own rifle, listed in another state using the very pictures i took. I reported it as a scam to armslist and they removed it. Too many scammers on armslist. Snipershide or gunbroker is the way to go.