• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Surgeon RSR Pics

Re: Surgeon RSR Pics

Other than a closeup of the tang and/or engraving, a surgeon RSR build isn't going to look any different than any one of a billion other Rem 700 builds. What specifically are you hoping to find out? If I knew what it is you wanted to see I might be able to go snap a pic for you.

DSC00250-1.jpg

[img:left]
DSC00260.jpg
[/img]

Sweet actions!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ratbert</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Other than a closeup of the tang and/or engraving, a surgeon RSR build isn't going to look any different than any one of a billion other Rem 700 builds. What specifically are you hoping to find out? If I knew what it is you wanted to see I might be able to go snap a pic for you.
</div></div>I was just wondering how much difference there was between the rsr and the 591.

There are a few key differences that I would really single out that I thought about when making a similar decision.

1) The RSR is made from 416 stainless instead of 4140 chrome moly even though the bolt for both is made of 4130 (action spec list) or 4140 (surgeon verbal) depending on which info you get.

2) The RSR requires you to separately purchase the rail and the rail and lug are pinned instead of being integral. For 99.95% of shooters out there, this really wont matter. The pins provide excellent performance in both alignment and recoil tolerance for consistent results. For many people, spending the extra money to have these parts integral to the action simply is not -strictly speaking - neccessary.

3) Tolerances for most of the critical areas are identical. Bolt to receiver fit, for example is still .0015. The bolt itself is identical (e.g. the SAME part) between the RSR and 591.

4) The 591 offers a longer thread length for the barrel (.954 vs .700) and the integral lug is thicker than the RSR (.250 integral versus .241 pinned). I believe the overall action length of the 591 is slightly longer by a quarter inch or a little more than the RSR.

I guess the way I would summarize it is:

The RSR is a 700 clone that you are buying and knowing that the bolt is high quality and the whole action will arrive "true" from factory with square faces and ready to be mated to a precision barrel.

The 591 is for someone who is willing to pay a premium to know that the recoil lug and scope rail are machined together with the traditional reciever from a single piece of billet. Together with slightly longer length of threading for the barrel to secure to, the 591 offers a super stiff custom action packed with features that is still substantially similar in key dimensions and features to the remington 700.

In my case, the RSR offers a more economical option and the integrated this and that just was not worth the extra money. Thats not to say that you shouldnt get a 591, but you should decide why you want one or the other and it should meet your need.

Either way, its hard to go wrong with an action from Surgeon. Despite how much I grumped at them for thier customer service in the discussion about nitriding, these guys are good people who make good parts and you are in good hands.

There is a $400 difference between the two.

With the RSR you still need to purchase a base, so there is $100 you have to spend on the action. Now your RSR costs almost $1000.

My point is if you are already spending $1000 on a custom action why not just spend the extra $300 considering you are already looking at a $4000 rifle anyway...doesnt make sense...if your going to do it. Do it right.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GunGuru727</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There is a $400 difference between the two.

With the RSR you still need to purchase a base, so there is $100 you have to spend on the action. Now your RSR costs almost $1000.

My point is if you are already spending $1000 on a custom action why not just spend the extra $300 considering you are already looking at a $4000 rifle anyway...doesnt make sense...if your going to do it. Do it right.

</div></div>

Certainly something to be said for this perspective as well
smile.gif

I purchased my RSR through my gunsmith who was doing my build for me, Larry McElroy over at Excorio Precision Arms (goes by Oneeyedmac on here).

One thing to correct about what I posted above. Since I bought my RSR last year, surgeon made some differences in the way that they crafted the 591.

http://www.surgeonrifles.com/products/changes-to-591-actions-and-sa-bolts/

I have no idea which of those changes made it to the RSR and which did not nor the overall effect of the changes (as I dont have an experience with the new parts yet so i have no basis from which to make observations), so you might want to inquire to Surgeon about that.

The changes to the bolt raceway, the band behind the locking lugs, etc, clearly were applied both 591 and RSR but I am not sure about the difference in bottom cut for magazine feed, trigger slot, etc.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Oddball-Six</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I purchased my RSR through my gunsmith who was doing my build for me, Larry McElroy over at Excorio Precision Arms (goes by Oneeyedmac on here).

One thing to correct about what I posted above. Since I bought my RSR last year, surgeon made some differences in the way that they crafted the 591.

http://www.surgeonrifles.com/products/changes-to-591-actions-and-sa
I have no idea which of those changes made it to the RSR and which did not nor the overall effect of the changes (as I dont have an experience with the new parts yet so i have no basis from which to make observations), so you might want to inquire to Surgeon about that.

The changes to the bolt raceway, the band behind the locking lugs, etc, clearly were applied both 591 and RSR but I am not sure about the difference in bottom cut for magazine feed, trigger slot, etc. </div></div>I took a look at the article, all I care about are the tolerances which seem to have stayed the same. Thanks for the info.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tlg308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wow that's nice. Did u get the work done or do it yourself? </div></div>Robert Gradous built the rifle, Kampfeld done the fluting.