• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Surgery Complete

Doc68

I'm an asshole....
Minuteman
  • Feb 17, 2014
    USA
    So I had my surgery thursday morning. I'm in so much pain. I never thought it would hurt this bad. I had my C3-T1 taken out and replaced and then metal plates put in to secure it all. They also ended up having to put plates on the posterior of my spine also.

I was supposed to come home fridaymorning, however I was having issues with legs working correctly and my my wound draining a lot of blood still. I'm walking fine now with a walker and the bleeding stopped enough to go home.

I got home late yesterday afternoon and doing ok, minus the pain. I got about 3 hours of sleep last night(most I've gotten so far). Now I'm waiting for the long haul of recovery. I'm going to be out of work for the next 8-16 weeks due to recovery and rehab.

Just wanted to give yall an update as to my condition.

Thanks again.
    Rich

Stay mentally tough, chronic pain is tough road, and it sounds like you have been on it for a while. Don't let the set backs get you down, and don't try to do too much, some things may be just be out of bounds now. That was the hardest thing for me to wrap my thick head around. The things I can't do anymore without paying the price.

Prayers for a speedy recovery and positive outcome.

Glad you came through the surgery in good shape. Like others have said, attitude is everything for recovery. Don't push to hard too fast. I've done it and set me back weeks.

Shit sucks now but you'll get there.

FWIW, going home in less than a week with a fusion sounds fast to me. Maybe they keep you longer for Lumbar over cervical but it strikes me as you being ahead of the game .

Reactions: RTH1800 and Maggot
    Stay mentally tough, chronic pain is tough road, and it sounds like you have been on it for a while. Don't let the set backs get you down, and don't try to do too much, some things may be just be out of bounds now. That was the hardest thing for me to wrap my thick head around. The things I can't do anymore without paying the price.

Prayers for a speedy recovery and positive outcome.

To put his message in other words, Youre not 20 years old anymore you old sack of.... Take time to heal fully. Of course youve got to do what ever rehab exercises they give you but dont try to get back to your old life too quickly or YOU WILL REGRET IT. Again, take time to heal.

I’m in a similar boat with five herniated discs in all segments of my spine. Trying to stay out of the hospital and avoid surgery, but still doing my day job as a auto technician isn’t helping.

Question for you Doc, did your C3 cause sensations like someone pressing down hard on your brachial nerves? Most of the doctors, been to a few now, are less than helpful. Half don’t listen and the other half just want your insurance money.

David.

Reactions: Ravenworks
    I’m in a similar boat with five herniated discs in all segments of my spine. Trying to stay out of the hospital and avoid surgery, but still doing my day job as a auto technician isn’t helping.

Question for you Doc, did your C3 cause sensations like someone pressing down hard on your brachial nerves? Most of the doctors, been to a few now, are less than helpful. Half don’t listen and the other half just want your insurance money.

David.

Can't answer your question directly, but finding a good, caring and competent doctor/surgeon is 2/3rds the battle imho. I've met so many uncaring, disinterested doctors I've come to hate the whole profession. I've held off on shoulder surgery I need because I don't want to put my mobility (and life) in the hands of these guys.

Good luck to you and the OP.

Reactions: SilentStalkr
    Hang in there, and allow time for the healing process to take hold. It never goes as fast as we would like; you just gotta gut it out.

Glad to hear things went reasonably well, and you're home recovering!

Reactions: DustBun
    Fellow MD here. You almost certainly know, but try to figure surgical pain from radicular pain--you might need a medrol dose pack. Also, gabapentin may help with whatever else you are taking.

The hard path is never the easy path but it is the most rewarding. Very best wishes to you for a speedy and successful recovery.

Best wishes for recover..Sounds like a a Big F Op
    post pics of the films :)

Yikes! Hope the pain subsides soon!

There are some pains/aggravations that go away and/or 'ease' over time. There are others though, that 'stay' and/or get 'aggravated' moreso with use AND time. Be cautious of what you take, and how often you need to take it/them.

And then there's the arthritis that sets in and festers in your affected joints. It is not so easy to accept, but when you do, you'll learn that "keeping up with your meds" heads off a lot of discomfort later on. I used to think that I'll "just go without" and tough-it-out.

Too often I'd learned that such wasn't possible and/or tolerable. There are those around you also, that bear the brunt. I'm only trying to help you learn vicariously.....

I
    There are some pains/aggravations that go away and/or 'ease' over time. There are others though, that 'stay' and/or get 'aggravated' moreso with use AND time. Be cautious of what you take, and how often you need to take it/them.

And then there's the arthritis that sets in and festers in your affected joints. It is not so easy to accept, but when you do, you'll learn that "keeping up with your meds" heads off a lot of discomfort later on. I used to think that I'll "just go without" and tough-it-out.

Too often I'd learned that such wasn't possible and/or tolerable. There are those around you also, that bear the brunt. I'm only trying to help you learn vicariously.....

I'm keeping away from the narcotics until bedtime. I am a recovering alcoholic and dont need to get hooked on something else.

Thank you all for the kind words. I truly appreciate them.

Rich

Just tell the doctor know that you are a big boy and you want big boy drugs. You have to have pain but you can keep your hurting to bearable.

Hang in there Rich. Sucks right now, but will be worth it when it's all done.

IMG_20200517_131359780.jpg
    20200519_174229.jpg

First one front incision and second one is my back.

• Wow
    Reactions: fx77 and Redmanss
    Hopefully, you have a quick recovery.
    Besides hospitals are no fun to hang around any longer than necessary.

Reactions: Doc68
    So I had my surgery thursday morning. I'm in so much pain. I never thought it would hurt this bad. I had my C3-T1 taken out and replaced and then metal plates put in to secure it all. They also ended up having to put plates on the posterior of my spine also.I

Thanks again.
    Rich

so they just take out parts of your spine? Thats a normal procedure?

@Doc68 - well, yes......

Like an MD or RN who is complaining of something.
    They rarely have done the basic things to help themselves.

Again, holler if you need anything.
    You have my email and my cell.

so they just take out parts of your spine? Thats a normal procedure?
    Yes they took out the cushioning between all the vertebrates and replaced them with small plastic boxes filled with cadaver bone and then place metal plates to secure it all.

Here's a link of the kind of surgery it was. They did this to 6 levels though and put plates on anterior and posterior of spine.

• Wow
    Reactions: Sniperwannabee
    @Doc68 - well, yes......

Like an MD or RN who is complaining of something.
    They rarely have done the basic things to help themselves.

Again, holler if you need anything.
    You have my email and my cell.
    Will do. I appreciate the offer.

Don't get in a hurry, they did tell you that it takes almost a year for everything get good and solid?

Had my C5-C7 fused in 2015 and then a laminectomy at L1-L2 last May. The first two weeks really sucked, but I would do it again. The constant pain before can really ruin your view on life. The sooner you can just take ibuprofen the clearer your mind will be. The pain meds made me a zombie. Us old guys don't heal like we used to.

Reactions: FatBoy
    Don't get in a hurry, they did tell you that it takes almost a year for everything get good and solid?
    Yes they did. A slow recovery. I have to wear the c-collar(cone of shame) for 12-16 weeks initially. Then light duty for at least 6 months.

So I had my surgery thursday morning. I'm in so much pain. I never thought it would hurt this bad. I had my C3-T1 taken out and replaced and then metal plates put in to secure it all. They also ended up having to put plates on the posterior of my spine also.

I was supposed to come home fridaymorning, however I was having issues with legs working correctly and my my wound draining a lot of blood still. I'm walking fine now with a walker and the bleeding stopped enough to go home.

I got home late yesterday afternoon and doing ok, minus the pain. I got about 3 hours of sleep last night(most I've gotten so far). Now I'm waiting for the long haul of recovery. I'm going to be out of work for the next 8-16 weeks due to recovery and rehab.

Just wanted to give yall an update as to my condition.

Thanks again.
    Rich

Best wishes for a speedy and complication-free recovery. And to your family as well while you are temporarily out of commission.

They should let you go to a soft collar after a month,ASK!
    If they would have padlocked the hard collar on me I probably would have went crazy

They should let you go to a soft collar after a month,ASK!
    If they would have padlocked the hard collar on me I probably would have went crazy
    I will definitely ask. Thanks for bringing it up.