• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

surprising vehicle costs per year report

I have an x5 35i with 130k. Oil changes only. 25mpg and just stacks miles with ease. Only mod I did was DVD hack so kids can watch movies while I drive.
Older BMWs are pretty easy to work on as long as you think like a German. Ditto with old Benzes.

I made the mistake of having an independent shop do my X3's starter... Was out $500. Did my own transfer case, brakes, oil changes, etc

Dad's 95 S320s alternator went out. Except for the astronomical cost ($625 at the dealer! $225 reman) for the part, it wasn't too tough to DIY that one either.

M

Reactions: Bender
^I did rod bearings on my V10 M5 on jackstands in my garage :ROFLMAO: I have other cars to use and enjoy doing all the work myself. Took 3 or 4 weekends to do the bearings - whenever it felt like work, I stopped.

Buy all the parts from FCP Euro - they have lifetime warranty on almost everything, including wear items like brake pads. They wear out, get new ones for free. The V10 eats throttle actuators every ~35-40K miles and they are ~750 each. I've already gotten a set of free ones!

Reactions: The D and Bender
Seeing the list above reminded me I had 4 Subarus when I was young, 1 80's and 1 90's wagon and then an '02 wrx and '04 STi. All of them were bulletproof. Now I think they are mostly CVT, but a couple of manuals left. Wouldn't hesitate with a manual Subaru especially with the EJ turbo motor if they still make it. Last I followed they were moving to the FA series I think, also in the Toyotas. Unsure how that panned out as I stopped following cars around 2010.

My buddy has had his motor out of his 13 WRX 3 times now. He ordered it brand new to keep forever. Has about 60k on it. Keeps eating head gaskets and the clutch throw-out arm has snapped off. Burns oil like crazy also.

If you just drive them to 100k and they're under warranty no problem. Go look up all the oil consumption issues with the boxers though.

My buddy has had his motor out of his 13 WRX 3 times now. He ordered it brand new to keep forever. Has about 60k on it. Keeps eating head gaskets and the clutch throw-out arm has snapped off. Burns oil like crazy also.

If you just drive them to 100k and they're under warranty no problem. Go look up all the oil consumption issues with the boxers though.

None of mine ate oil or had problems - sucks for your buddy, maybe those newer ones weren't the same build quality? Won't recommend them anymore. Same as a 3-series - in the 80's they were great little cars, and bulletproof. Now they are garbage plastic appliances.

When most of the cars are using electric motors it's going to be really interesting to see how reliable they ultimately are. The basic electric motors will run almost indefinitely without being touched. It's the ancillary systems that will have issues. Mechanical things break. Electronic systems degrade.
The EV's have an "Engineered Lifetime".... Same as every other mechanical product produced today. Why build a product that last for ever ? Big business spend that money on the PR and forget the crappy service or warranty.

tempImageQ4yX9Q.jpg

I might have missed it but what are the criteria of cost.

If replacing tires is in the list and one car has performance/higher priced tires is that taken as a added expense above and beyond the rotation and balance.

Those tires may cost more but you are paying for performance etc. you could put a cheap pair of Costco tires and save money…

Same for brakes and such

Reactions: SONIC SAAMI
Everyone owns/has owned a perfect (insert brand here). Everyone owns/has owned a (insert brand here) that was a total POS.

...or at least had a buddy who did.

Reactions: 91Eunozs
I might have missed it but what are the criteria of cost.

If replacing tires is in the list and one car has performance/higher priced tires is that taken as a added expense above and beyond the rotation and balance.

Those tires may cost more but you are paying for performance etc. you could put a cheap pair of Costco tires and save money…

Same for brakes and such
94BCC3EB-29F6-4E16-B7D0-251B437F4BD1.jpeg

Why you wanna be so harsh wrecking up on my buzz.

Reactions: brianf
Cost to maintain a vehicle use to not be terrible. Shop quoted me 600ish dollars for rear pads and rotors....I did it myself for $150ish. For this reason I'm sticking with Toyota.

View attachment 7933826
Why you wanna be so harsh wrecking up on my buzz.
Chevy got so much heat for the redesign on 19. Everyone hated that front bumper. But I would have to say in 1LE trim, I actually liked the look after awhile.

I miss my old ZL1 a lot. But had to sell it when the market was really hot last year.

Being loaded up on the way to it's new owner. :(

230206655_10165798699350038_5499795307566299383_n.jpg

Chevy got so much heat for the redesign on 19. Everyone hated that front bumper. But I would have to say in 1LE trim, I actually liked the look after awhile.

I miss my old ZL1 a lot. But had to sell it when the market was really hot last year.

Being loaded up on the way to it's new owner. :(

230206655_10165798699350038_5499795307566299383_n.jpg
I did the same.

^I did rod bearings on my V10 M5 on jackstands in my garage :ROFLMAO: I have other cars to use and enjoy doing all the work myself. Took 3 or 4 weekends to do the bearings - whenever it felt like work, I stopped.

Buy all the parts from FCP Euro - they have lifetime warranty on almost everything, including wear items like brake pads. They wear out, get new ones for free. The V10 eats throttle actuators every ~35-40K miles and they are ~750 each. I've already gotten a set of free ones!
Just perusing this again from the suggested threads.

Bravo, chickentoast! This is major invasive surgery on a car. To do this in your driveway takes major stones

We had a 2.5l na motor in a forester ate oil was a cracked block.

Reactions: Bender