• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Swap IMR Charge for Varget Charge? Dangerous?

CK_32

Saving Ryans Privates
Minuteman
Jan 22, 2010
Hey SH its been a looooong while since I've been around these parts.

Anyways I wanted to ask you guys a question I couldn't answer my self.

Does Varget/IMR produce different pressures with the same powder weight charge? I know a lot of guys here use and load both and could probably answer this 100%.

My cousin loads with IMR 4046 (43.6gr) for his 168 dialed in loads. He recently just ran out of powder and he has a local match coming up this Saturday he wanted to jump in.

He asked me if he subbed varget for his IMR if it would produce the same pressures and be safe to load 43.6gr of varget for his load for the match being they are similar powders.

Neither of us are sure if varget is a higher or lower charge load. I know this is against reloading but hes between a rock and a hard place and I just want to make sure he doesnt blow his face off.

I personally want to say from what I know it should be about the same. But not exactly the same being a different powder so he wont get the same accuracy but close. But part of me says he could possibly blow his face off here.

So do any of you guys KNOW if this will work or wont work? Im not here to get scalded at or called names for asking this. Please be respectful and if you actually know please answer. If your just going to guess then please refrain from posting. Its welcome but please be clear its just a guess. I really want to know for a fact if this will be a extreme danger or should be fine and might possibly produce the same results. I know your supposed to load EVERY load but I'm curious my self if these powders actually differ that much or are almost the same.

Also the other reason Im so curious is because his reloading book notes that IMR usually uses less to get a achieved FPS than Varget but very slight. By like .3 grains each way.

And mine says the opposite. That the same exact varget powder charge as IMR 4046 will produce the same exact FPS as each other again where we got the idea of just swapping the powders.
But I know reloading books are abouts and usually load noted towards the safe side of max loads and load data.

Another reason Im asking from REAL world from guys who have actually done this or know for a fact.

In my reloading book it says 100% should work.. But his the loads vary a small bit so thats where Im cautious of handing him my powder and saying go for it.

Last edited:
Here's the real world answer: NO, you never, EVER, substitute one powder for another without consulting the appropriate load tables and working up a load in that rifle.

Thats the thing we checked our books and the charges seem to be the exact same recommended charge in one book but another differs. So according to the tables one says A ok the other says it shouldn't work. Im just wondering if anyone has actually done this already to confirm one book or the other.

Different lot numbers of same powder can act slightly different. Best thing to do is start with minimum charge like always and work your way up. And check for signs of pressure. Varget may have a different sweet spot for his rifle compared to the imr. If the data you are receiving is that inconsistent then I wouldn't try and hope.