• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Swaro NL pure 12x vs. slc 15x

NorthWesterner

Staff Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 24, 2017
Sedro Woolley, WA
If anyone has experience with both of these optics, or better yet owned both, which do you think prevailed. My primary use is for tripod spotting. What were you applications and thoughts?

I spent 10 minutes behind them side by side on a tripod, looking at 1000 yard steel targets. I own the SLC 15's, my buddy had a new set of the NL Pure 12x.

The NL pure were very impressive, the look of the image was crisper as a whole, the FOV was much wider. From recollection I think the depth of focus was a bit deeper, ie you saw more of what was happening in the middle ground. Seeing the mid-range mirage really jumped out at me, maybe because you could see so much more of the width of it all. Impression was that they were a stunning optic, and more "impressive" to look through than the SLC's.

When it came down to looking at the 1000 yard target and trying to pick out individual shot marks on a well abused steel plate, I think the SLC's had a slight edge to my eye. The extra magnification of the SLC's allowed me to see just a bit more detail on plate than the NL 12's, despite the NL's having a bit better overall image quality.

In the context of spotting/PRS shooting, I would gladly run either but I think I'd slightly prefer the extra magnification of the SLC 15's. If you were ever wanting to use them for something like hunting or if you cared about more compact size/weight then the NL 12's might be the better choice.

Three more minor points:
1) The NL 12x42 are tiny! I snagged a B grade demo from EuroOptics, and in the hand, they are small, and feel small, especially next to my Forge 15x56. Was not expecting that.
2) The RRS Clincher strap will not work well due to the pinched middle section imho, bummer, but there's a specific outdoorsman stud for them, bueno, it's inbound...
3) Most important to me: they work well with glasses on--I had 15x SLC HDs and sold them after I started wearing glasses few years ago, that was disappointing--but these NL 12x work great, with a true 18mm eye relief, just like the Forges' extended eye relief.
PXL_20211111_221631095.MP.jpg

Three more minor points:
1) The NL 12x42 are tiny! I snagged a B grade demo from EuroOptics, and in the hand, they are small, and feel small, especially next to my Forge 15x56. Was not expecting that.
2) The RRS Clincher strap will not work well due to the pinched middle section imho, bummer, but there's a specific outdoorsman stud for them, bueno, it's inbound...
3) Most important to me: they work well with glasses on--I had 15x SLC HDs and sold them after I started wearing glasses few years ago, that was disappointing--but these NL 12x work great, with a true 18mm eye relief, just like the Forges' extended eye relief.
View attachment 7738905
What specifically is the issue with the rrs strap?

What specifically is the issue with the rrs strap?
The pinched middle of the optic barrels is not a true tapered cone, but is more pinched on two sides, where the thumbs and fingers contact, it feels good in hand, but the mounting spot on the clincher wants to slide into the middle away from underneath, and slips into the pinch, causing more slack on the strap. Hard to explain, but the taper you see from the objective is not a uniform conical taper. I also tried to set the clincher way out by the objective bell, but it would eventually slip backwards into the taper as well. You might be able to use something sticky in the cradle to keep it out there with the pressure from the strap as well, but I'm just going to use the stud instead.

The pinched middle of the optic barrels is not a true tapered cone, but is more pinched on two sides, where the thumbs and fingers contact, it feels good in hand, but the mounting spot on the clincher wants to slide into the middle away from underneath, and slips into the pinch, causing more slack on the strap. Hard to explain, but the taper you see from the objective is not a uniform conical taper. I also tried to set the clincher way out by the objective bell, but it would eventually slip backwards into the taper as well. You might be able to use something sticky in the cradle to keep it out there with the pressure from the strap as well, but I'm just going to use the stud instead.
Makes sense. That’s a bummer. I like the rrs strap. Are you doing to use the swaro mount or similar?

This combo, same mount I used on my 15x SLCs, but you need the new stud for the NL, sucks getting old... LoL

Reactions: NorthWesterner

This combo, same mount I used on my 15x SLCs, but you need the new stud for the NL, sucks getting old... LoL
What does getting old have to do with the mount? And yea, it does suck.

I’ve been using the 12 nl pures with the RRS bino cinch for two years and it works pretty good.

Reactions: Chesapeake
I’ll put up a picture. I have mine on the barrel

Thanks man, mine keep sliding into the pinch after getting bounced @ on the tripod.
I might just consider a single layer of double sided tape to use underneath the clincher.

No problem. You could probably go closer to the edge than I have mine if you want. I leave mine on all the time, even when it’s not on a tripod. Surprisingly it’s still comfortable to hold with it on.

Reactions: StrayDog
Same here, had the 15’s they are great, but much prefer the NL12’s.

I use mine for steel and hunting - but primarily hunting.

Amazing clarity, depth of field, FOV, lightweight and great ergonomics.

BTW, I also use the RRS cinch towards the objective end and it stays perfectly fine.

My Alaskan bull through the NL12’s in September over a mile out on his way to to meet my Barnes 190LRX.

09FB2B96-D197-4751-9FA6-6C6B38652163.jpeg

Digging this thread up. Anyone that went pure 12’s decide to go back to 15slc?

Or pretty happy with your pure 12’s?

Reactions: M77