• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Swarovski vs Bushnell through scope

Masoud-gh

Private
Minuteman
Jul 4, 2010
Hi all.
I'm a professional photographer and I have a little knowledge about optic and lens.
as you know the Swarovski is a high quality optic.because of this I take several picture through Swarovski 5-30x50 and my Elite 4200 6-24x50 FFP I have compared this both.after photography I was surprised about result.
the Elite 4200 6-24x50 FFP was better in terms of image quality and clarity!
you can see the result of these.
this is full frame of both in 8X magnification:
Screen%20Shot%202011-10-08%20at%2011.59.02%20AM.jpg

this is actual and center:
Screen%20Shot%202011-10-08%20at%2011.59.37%20AM.jpg

this is actual and down:
Screen%20Shot%202011-10-08%20at%2011.59.51%20AM.jpg

this is actual and right:
Screen%20Shot%202011-10-08%20at%2012.00.08%20PM.jpg

this is actual and left:
Screen%20Shot%202011-10-08%20at%2012.00.41%20PM.jpg

and this is actual and up:
Screen%20Shot%202011-10-08%20at%2012.00.24%20PM.jpg

as you can see the pictures of swarovski is bigger than bushnell. because the eye relief of swarovski was less than bushnell and I was oblige to change position of camera and focal length.

Re: Swarovski vs Bushnell through scope

Now 16 magnification.this is full frame of both in 16X magnification:

Screen%20Shot%202011-10-08%20at%2011.50.08%20AM.jpg

Actual and center:
Screen%20Shot%202011-10-08%20at%2011.50.45%20AM.jpg

actual and right:
Screen%20Shot%202011-10-08%20at%2011.51.59%20AM.jpg

actual and down:
Screen%20Shot%202011-10-08%20at%2011.51.40%20AM.jpg

actual and up:
Screen%20Shot%202011-10-08%20at%2011.51.08%20AM.jpg

the chromatic aberration is almost same.but the resolution of bushnell is better than swarovski especially in corner.

and 24 and 25X magnification:

Screen%20Shot%202011-10-08%20at%2011.45.08%20AM.jpg

Screen%20Shot%202011-10-08%20at%2011.46.05%20AM.jpg

Screen%20Shot%202011-10-08%20at%2011.46.30%20AM.jpg

Screen%20Shot%202011-10-08%20at%2011.46.50%20AM.jpg

Screen%20Shot%202011-10-08%20at%2011.47.21%20AM.jpg

as you can see the brightness and clarity of bushnell is more than searovski.
my camera was Canon 5D markII 21MP and lens was canon 24-70mm f2.8 at F11.
all of photos take with RAW format and convert with Adobe ACR without any change in sharpness and any...

<span style="font-size: 14pt"><span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="color: #660000">if you want to see full size photo, you can right click on each photo and copy image address to your browser.</span></span></span>

I'll trade you a bushnell for that Swarovski.

because you are not justice!
the bushnell is brighter,sharpe,solider and better than swarovski. also corner of bushnell is better.
what's your reason about it?

dear friend...I'm a photographer and I know about focus and out of focus image.
this is different when you take pictures through scope and your eyes.you can see things that you can't see with your eyes.
also I have taken several photos for each magnification and used best of them.so my camera equipped with live view and I can see actual size of photos before take that.

I don't know much about optical quality, but even by just looking at the pictures you took, I'm liking the Swaro better. I agree that the Bushy is a little brighter, but the Swaro seems have better contrast and definition, which is what I look for in rifle scopes.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lennyo3034</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'll trade you a bushnell for that Swarovski. </div></div>
+1 will swap a Bushnell for a Swarovski anyday their chalk and cheese never tried hitting a target by acquiring through a camera but when looking through both scopes can easily see why the Swarovski is worth the extra cash

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Acttacus</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I agree that the Bushy is a little brighter, but the Swaro seems have better contrast and definition, which is what I look for in rifle scopes. </div></div>

the contrast of swaro is less than bushnell,so sharpness and clarity in the center and corner in bushnell is more than swaro.
what did you see that think the swaro is better?
also the CA and vignetting in the image of swaro is more than bushnell!
you have to see both side by side to can understanding the difference between both!

these are several pic for Swarovski:

IMG_0116.jpg

IMG_0118.jpg

IMG_0133.jpg

IMG_0136.jpg

IMG_0137.jpg

IMG_0141.jpg

IMG_0150.jpg

IMG_0154.jpg

IMG_0155.jpg

IMG_0168.jpg

You should see Bushnell's new HDMR 3.5-21x50. Even my friend who runs S&B's commented on how good the glass was.

I have the 3-12x44 tactical. Except for the tight eyebox it's a really good scope. Plenty clear!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: masoud Ghadiri</div><div class="ubbcode-body">because you are not justice!
the bushnell is brighter,sharpe,solider and better than swarovski. also corner of bushnell is better.
what's your reason about it? </div></div>

bushnell literature says the same thing, yet i can take them out in the field in varying light conditions and i can see a sugnificant difference. in low light, at distance on a hot day, and when i'm looking for details, such as points on a buck. like others have said, i'll give you a bushnell for a swarovski any day.

there are deals out there, but don't doubt you are giving up something. it could be repeatably, reliability, optical quality but it's always something.

I have a few Swarovski's Z-6's and they are the best class I have looked through.

I so agree with masoud,Because in addition to FOV and other parameters than are useful for best shooting,the contrast and sharpness and other optical advantages are important exactly like bushnell
I had seen it up close,the bushnell elite 6-24x50 has so clarity image edge to edge , excellent sharpness and contrast even if in high magnification

It looks like I made the right choice. In fact, the Bushnell Elite 4200 series is way more expensive than it was a few years ago when I got mine.

And this is one of the reasons I have always been opposed to taking pictures through scopes. Invariably, someone will decide to judge image quality of the scope based on those pictures, which is something you really should not do.

Masoud, would you mind elaborating how exactly you set the camera up behind the riflescopes? Also, I am very curious to find out how your setup compensated for the differences in eye relief and field of view? how did you set the eyepiece up? how did you set the side focus up? how did you focus the camera? manually or in auto mode? what did you use for focus point(s)?

Thanks
ILya

Is it just me or is the magnification on the Swaro larger at both 16X and 25X than the bushnell?

hi all and sorry for late.
when you take photo with camera through the scope ,there are some advantageous point as I said before it,you can observe details,bit pint and any other thing.
so picture of camera will not my personal opinion and you can get your Idea.

but about my setup:
IMG_9824.jpg

IMG_9825.jpg

you can see my setup above.camera was Canon 5D markII.lens was Canon 24-70mm [email protected]use f8 will be best result for this.
focal length was between 30mm to 42mm and it depended on eye relief and aperture.
my camera equipped with live view and I had MF focus with 10x magnification by live view.also I adjusted all of thing exact with live view on 10x.
so I have taken all photo by RAW format and convert with same adjustment such as white balance,contrast,sharpens and etc...with adobe ACR.

that dish that puts around of center of photo was my target for focus.

I appreciate the time, effort and technology you put into this comparison. Nice photos of the Swaro's too. Safe to say you know how to run the camera.

No matter what anyone thinks about which is better, your photos show that Bushnell is putting out some quality scopes these days.

Please update this if you get one of the new Bushnell HDMR's in your hands. I'm making payments on one with the new GAP G2 reticle and would like to see some photos of it with your setup.

These are definitely some of the best through scope pics I have seen, thanks for the post.

dear sasquatch98226 you are right.but focal length of camera lens was reason of this.

I prefer the Swaro on my .220 Swift than the Bushnell on my 7mmrm

which model of Swarovski do you have that you compared with bushnell?
what is your bushnell riflescope?
I prefer my bicycle than my car!!! what's your reason?
what's relation of 7mm and .22? could you please explain to us about your reason.
please be fair and don't prejudices answer.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: masoud Ghadiri</div><div class="ubbcode-body">which model of Swarovski do you have that you compared with bushnell?
what's relation of 7mm and .22? could you please explain to us about your reason.
</div></div>

The Swaro is a Z5 3.5-18x42
The Bushy is a Elite 4200 3-9x40
Low light clarity mainly, the Swaro beats the Bushy 10 fold, twilight deer hunting with the 7mm the deer looked like a dark blob at 300m.
The Swaro on the Swift i can make 400m shots on rabbits at twilight no problem at all.
I think your experiment, while fun and all is flawed because the human eye can pick up differences a camera cannot. And tbh the non zoomed in pics the Swaro is sharp edge to edge while the Bushy is fuzzy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: masoud Ghadiri</div><div class="ubbcode-body">hi all and sorry for late.
when you take photo with camera through the scope ,there are some advantageous point as I said before it,you can observe details,bit pint and any other thing.
so picture of camera will not my personal opinion and you can get your Idea.

but about my setup:
IMG_9824.jpg

IMG_9825.jpg

you can see my setup above.camera was Canon 5D markII.lens was Canon 24-70mm [email protected]use f8 will be best result for this.
focal length was between 30mm to 42mm and it depended on eye relief and aperture.
my camera equipped with live view and I had MF focus with 10x magnification by live view.also I adjusted all of thing exact with live view on 10x.
so I have taken all photo by RAW format and convert with same adjustment such as white balance,contrast,sharpens and etc...with adobe ACR.

that dish that puts around of center of photo was my target for focus.
</div></div>

Nice setup.

Out of curiosity, how did you account for FOV and eye relief differences? Also, what procedure did you use to set up eyepiece focus and image focus of the scopes?

ILya

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: the_fng</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: masoud Ghadiri</div><div class="ubbcode-body">which model of Swarovski do you have that you compared with bushnell?
</div></div>

Low light clarity mainly, the Swaro beats the Bushy 10 fold, twilight deer hunting with the 7mm the deer looked like a dark blob at 300m.
The Swaro on the Swift i can make 400m shots on rabbits at twilight no problem at all.
I think your experiment, while fun and all is flawed because the human eye can pick up differences a camera cannot. And tbh the non zoomed in pics the Swaro is sharp edge to edge while the Bushy is fuzzy. </div></div>

Swaro z5 3.5-18x44 VS bushy elite 4200 3-9x40 is incorrect to compare
Masoud compared the top models of bushnell and swarovski
Is quite obvious ,compare 40mm objective lens and 44mm objective lens is so wrong compare,These are two completely different to get best Contrast and sharpness
you should compare two same models such as elite 4200 6-24x50 and swaro 5-30x50 , both of them have a same abjective lens (50mm)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shane45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why do you and Masoud sound like a Bushnell marketing campain? </div></div>

Perhaps, Bushnell is more easily available in Iran?

Either way, whenever someone decided that a cheaper product outperforms a significantly more expensive product, unbridled (but often, though not always, erroneous) enthusiasm ensues.

ILya

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ILya</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shane45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why do you and Masoud sound like a Bushnell marketing campain? </div></div>

Perhaps, Bushnell is more easily available in Iran?

Either way, whenever someone decided that a cheaper product outperforms a significantly more expensive product, unbridled (but often, though not always, erroneous) enthusiasm ensues.

ILya </div></div>

It's not who you think
every body access to online order in Iran,swarovski,bushnell,etc...

Looks to me the Bushnell is "brighter" because it is picking up glare from the bright sunlight. Looks to me the Swaro has better clarity along the edges. It also looks to me the Swaro has better resolution and offering a better rendition of the image.

Try to do this test in different light conditions if you want to see "brightness". Looks like to me the Bushnell needs a shade for this situation.

No doubt, the new Bushnells are much, much better than their old ones, but they still aren't up to par with the Swaro you've tested.

I fooled myself much in the same way comparing Zeiss to Leupold a few years ago. The Leupold looked so much "brighter" during the middle of the day, so the glass had to have been better. However, the Zeiss revealed details that were being washed out by the "brighter" Leupold. Then comparing them in low-light situations, the Zeiss had become the "brighter" scope and details were still revealed. Meanwhile, the Leupold distorted quite badly and image quality suffered.

Since we're talking about the top end bushnell's what about the HDMR? Everyone that has used one has talked about how great its glass is and compared it more often than not to some of the big boys yet it is the same glass as the rest of the elite scopes. What about it makes it seem so impressive glass wise? Not calling anyone out but just asking. Maybe Ilya you can shed some light on this?

Flyingbullseye

dear Ilya,by the way there is official office of Swarovski in IRAN.but about Bushnell is not true. there is limitation for Bushnell.so I have several of Bushnell scope and Swarovski. but you like Swarovski brand and it's not matter for us.because we attention to quality, reliability and clarity of optic and any other factor such as brand name will not matter for us.
but I couldn't take photo in the low light condition.but in my opinion there was no any difference between those.even I can say the Bushnell that I tried was better than that mentioned Swarovski.but maybe it will not true for all of model.

<span style="font-weight: bold">how did you account for FOV and eye relief differences?
</span>
I didn't understand???

<span style="font-weight: bold">Also, what procedure did you use to set up eyepiece focus and image focus of the scopes?
</span>
as I mentioned,I did focus with live view of camera that it was on 10x magnification and I could do it best.
but about eyepiece focus,after focusing, I adjust eyepiece and I could match reticule on the target.

I hope it be your answer.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HideTarget</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: the_fng</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: masoud Ghadiri</div><div class="ubbcode-body">which model of Swarovski do you have that you compared with bushnell?
</div></div>

I think your experiment, while fun and all is flawed because the human eye can pick up differences a camera cannot. And tbh the non zoomed in pics the Swaro is sharp edge to edge while the Bushy is fuzzy. </div></div>

Is quite obvious ,compare 40mm objective lens and 44mm objective lens is so wrong compare,These are two completely different to get best Contrast and sharpness
you should compare two same models such as elite 4200 6-24x50 and swaro 5-30x50 , both of them have a same abjective lens (50mm) </div></div>

4mm of objective lens makes no difference in the real world, quality glass does and imo Swarovski is at the top of the pile next to the other German manufactures of quality riflescopes. Theres no doubt Bushnell has moved forward a lot in the last few years but it'l take a few more to come even close to the euros.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: the_fng</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HideTarget</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: the_fng</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: masoud Ghadiri</div><div class="ubbcode-body">which model of Swarovski do you have that you compared with bushnell?
</div></div>

you should compare two same models such as elite 4200 6-24x50 and swaro 5-30x50 , both of them have a same abjective lens (50mm) </div></div>

4mm of objective lens makes no difference in the real world, quality glass does and imo Swarovski is at the top of the pile next to the other German manufactures of quality riflescopes. Theres no doubt Bushnell has moved forward a lot in the last few years but it'l take a few more to come even close to the euros. </div></div>

you mentioned very important point! please describe to swarovski that 4mm is not matter.because they don't have any knowledge about it!
objective lens have correlation with brightness ,even 4mm.
because of this they didn't try with 40mm for that riflescope with high magnification.

actually the Bausch & Lomb was purchased by Bushnell . but marketed their Elite line using the B&L name. Bausch & Lomb had a long history of quality scopes that now produce with bushnell name.
also bausch & Lomb was founded by two German immigrants.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: masoud Ghadiri</div><div class="ubbcode-body">dear Ilya,by the way there is official office of Swarovski in IRAN.but about Bushnell is not true. there is limitation for Bushnell.so I have several of Bushnell scope and Swarovski. but you like Swarovski brand and it's not matter for us.because we attention to quality, reliability and clarity of optic and any other factor such as brand name will not matter for us.
but I couldn't take photo in the low light condition.but in my opinion there was no any difference between those.even I can say the Bushnell that I tried was better than that mentioned Swarovski.but maybe it will not true for all of model.

<span style="font-weight: bold">how did you account for FOV and eye relief differences?
</span>
I didn't understand???

<span style="font-weight: bold">Also, what procedure did you use to set up eyepiece focus and image focus of the scopes?
</span>
as I mentioned,I did focus with live view of camera that it was on 10x magnification and I could do it best.
but about eyepiece focus,after focusing, I adjust eyepiece and I could match reticule on the target.

I hope it be your answer.
</div></div>

At the same magnification, Bushnell and Swarovski have different fields of view. Human eye automatically adjusts for certain differences using pupil moving and some perceptual tricks. How did you adjust for those differences?

At the same magnification, the solid angle presented to the camera by the eyepiece is different between these two scopes, partly because of the eyepiece diameter, partly because of the eye relief.
Without appropriately adjusting for these differences, you measurements are completely useless.
Also, keep in mind that at different focal length setting of your lens, the camera IFOV varies considerably.

On eyepiece focusing: you mention an adjustment, but I do not understand what was the intent of your adjustment. Please clarify what you did. Also, at which point did you focus the objective system?

ILya