• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Swede M38 takes a muley

MontanaS

Private
Minuteman
Nov 12, 2009
Very exciting first deer hunt for my twelve year old. We put a stalk on this deer from about 1000 yards out. As we went prone however, a string of cattle began coming up the draw we were overlooking. My son had a good broadside shot and wanted to take it but we had to wait a good ten minutes until the last cow passed out of the scope view. He then calmly pulled the trigger of my Swede M38 in 6.5x55. The buck was slightly quartering away and the bullet entered mid section and lodged in the offside cape about six inches back his elbow. The deer dropped his rear, recovered, turned around limping, went down a six foot drop off, laid down and died, all within 30 seconds. We ranged the shot at 293 yards. The bullet was the Hornady 129 grn SST. Lots of internal damage. The scope is a Weaver 6x. My son was elated to say the least. I am very impressed with this rifle, which I got for my son as the 6.5 has relatively low recoil but produces a very flat shooting bullet that really reaches out there.

Nothing better than time spent deer hunting with your son. Congratulations to both of you. Like the rifle too!

Southeast Montana. He's actually about medium size for mule dear here.

Tell your son awesome job and beautiful deer.
And awesome job on your part taking him hunting and starting him out with a stellar rifle and caliber.