• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes Swfa 16x vs 3-15

You're not providing much info. Assuming they have the same objective lens and same lens coating. The 3-15 scope at max magnification will be very close to the 16x fixed power. This is because the 16x fixed power doesn't have any zoom lenses and the 3-15 does. All things being equal; the more lenses light has to go through the darker the sight picture will be

Sorry, the scopes I am asking about are both SWFA branded scopes. I believe they are the same dimensions.
I believe they both use the same objective lens.

I ran an SWFA 16x for years - they're fine optically. If you're buying it for hunting, I'd get the 10x/12x more because the FOV is limiting than because it's slightly darker. Or more realistically, if you're getting it for hunting them you should probably get the 3-15 or the 3-9 HD. If you're buying it for target shooting in broad daylight, then the image brightness won't matter.

I have a 10x now. Just looking for something for targets out to maybe 500yds. I was considering the 3-15 but since its targets it would be on 15 all the time anyway.

Wait for Black Friday at this point, whatever you decide on.

will you always be shooting at that one given range and never elsewhere? Fixed has its purposes and I once had one until I started shooting at different ranges and realized how handycap I was. Sometime you do have to zoom out to hunt for bullet impact at different range and if you ever shot at closer target the 16x makes it hard to find targets fast. Beside that less parts to fail at 16X. That ability to zoom in and out is so important to me now.

Reactions: Pharmer909
I have a 10x now. Just looking for something for targets out to maybe 500yds. I was considering the 3-15 but since its targets it would be on 15 all the time anyway.
I have the 10x and 16x swfa; I prefer the 10 when I am searching for targets at 500. the 16 is better for sandbags and paper. neither are very bright.

I’ve had 2 or 3 fixed 10x, the 3-15x, and the 5-20x from SWFA. Out of all of them, the 5-20 was way ahead of the rest, and is what I would pick if I got another without a doubt. Even with the weird reticle. If the 5-20 was out of the equation, I would take the 3-15. Really the same optical quality as the fixed imo, as well as same feel, but has options for the different magnifications to choose as needed(obviously). With that being said, I never had an issue with any of them. Something else to throw in there - I’d say it’s definitely worth the extra money to get the side focus on a fixed, but that’s also getting you that much closer to 3-15x price range. Hope this helps

The 3-15 is a all around better scope.
The 16x and 20x eye box is narrow, and I would get pretty bad eye fatigue with them.
The 10x and 12x is much better in that regard. I don’t recommend the the 16x or 20x.

I really like my 3-15. I'd like to get something with some more modern features but I can't really justify replacing it because it's so good! Light weight, fair glass, tons of elevation available.

I really like my 3-15. I'd like to get something with some more modern features but I can't really justify replacing it because it's so good! Light weight, fair glass, tons of elevation available.
I'm with ya, waiting for Black Friday to pick up another 3-15... I would like to see them make the 3-15 illuminated.

Reactions: 2ndSecuresTheRest