• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Swfa 3-15ffp

cro789

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Dec 20, 2008
    TN
    Does anyone have or have used this scope and what can you tell me about it?

I have one on a 20 Practical. What do you want to know? It seems like a good scope for the price point. It's not a $1000 scope but I paid $400 on sale for it so I don't expect that. The turrets are positive, seems to track fine (haven't pushed it yet). I really like the MOA reticle, nice and thin.

Just wondering if it would be a good in between scope. I have a DTA and I have a uso B series on order but won't be here till summer. So I need a scope that won't break the bank but yet will still perform. The rifle will be in .308.

They work fine for that. I used one on a .308 for a while until I upgraded. It was very sound mechanically, tracked well and never had an issue out of it.

I bought a used Milquad 3-15 for 350 bucks. Glass clarity quality or whatever you want to call seems as good or better than my Leopold vxiii's
    I use it as hunting scope. Been killing coyotes and constantly crasking the knobs. I don't punch much paper but she appears to be returning to zero
    I've made a handful of hits to 600 then when back to zero it still kills dogs that are close.

I don't have best eyes but I can't tell what's better to look through a mk4 or swfa.

good luck

I will say this its my first focal plain scope and it's taking some getting used to. I highly doubt I'll ever use the reticle to range. I have tried but using reticle compared to range finder I'm way off.

the second focal swfa is on awesome price point. I truly belive not everyone needs a ffp scope. Seems everyone's pushing baddass range finders anyways. That and on 15 the reticle is on big side but I haven't found that to be an issue' but rock Chuck season is coming

Last edited:
    I had one, and just didn't much care for the reticle, of course reticles are very subjective, what I like, you may hate. Other than that it was ok, nothing stellar about it. If I were you I'd just wait, but I also know that's hard to do. In my experience illum. is a must have on FFP scopes, near dark, and with the scope dialed back it is sometimes hard for me to pick up the reticle. Maybe your still young and your eyes are better? ;)

Everything I've read generally says it's been well received.
    If I ever come across one for a deal around the 400$ mark (like what people in this thread have found) I would definitely pick one up just to see it.
    That said, I usually see them retail at around the 700 mark. It's probably still a decent buy, but there are a couple other possible options at that point.

Everything I've read generally says it's been well received.
    If I ever come across one for a deal around the 400$ mark (like what people in this thread have found) I would definitely pick one up just to see it.
    That said, I usually see them retail at around the 700 mark. It's probably still a decent buy, but there are a couple other possible options at that point.

Which ones would you recommend?

For under $400, I'd get the Athlon Argos BTR MRAD 6-24x instead. My friend has that SWFA and we both think the Athlon is better overall, though the SWFA has better turrets. Glass with the Argos by a long ways, too much distortion in the SWFA in comparison.

Don't know about accuracy in tracking for either.

Since it will be nothing but a place holder, why not get a fixed power SWFA.
    The 12X would work just fine, they run 300 bones and track very well.

Since it will be nothing but a place holder, why not get a fixed power SWFA.
    The 12X would work just fine, they run 300 bones and track very well.

I was also thinking about that as well.

I own or have owned 3 different SWFA scopes, but not the 3-15x42. I think everybody ought to have the cheap 10x as a beater/loaner whatever.

I own 2, 3-15x mil/mil scopes. They are awesome and worth every penny. Also have a fixed10x mil/mil.

They've got the 3-15 sfp with caps and sunshade for $450 right now on swfa. If you need something to hold you over and don't mind sfp that's pretty hard to beat.

Just wondering if it would be a good in between scope. I have a DTA and I have a uso B series on order but won't be here till summer. So I need a scope that won't break the bank but yet will still perform. The rifle will be in .308.

IN that case save some $$ and go SFP unless you are going to use the reticle to hold over.

The reticle will be used for hold overs. That is why I am looking at the FFP.

If I went with the fixed 16 SS then I could save money and buy more bullets until the US Optics is ready. Has anyone used the 16 MOA version from SWFA? And what can you tell about it.

Also don't know if Frank has used one I did see the review he did on the 5-20.

Last edited:
    If I went with the fixed 16 SS then I could save money and buy more bullets until the US Optics is ready. Has anyone used the 16 MOA version from SWFA? And what can you tell about it.

I didn't care for the one and only 16x I've looked through and nor did the owner as he swapped it for a 10x. I felt it was too dark and had a picky eyebox. It would be better if it had a 50mm objective in that power range.

In the classic series I have a 6x, 10x and (2) 3-15s. Of them, I like the 10x best. Reticle is too small on the 6x and the glass in the 3-15s is just not that great imo. The 10x is just right.

I also have two 5-20s, but they are in a different league.

I didn't care for the one and only 16x I've looked through and nor did the owner as he swapped it for a 10x. I felt it was too dark and had a picky eyebox. It would be better if it had a 50mm objective in that power range.

In the classic series I have a 6x, 10x and (2) 3-15s. Of them, I like the 10x best. Reticle is too small on the 6x and the glass in the 3-15s is just not that great imo. The 10x is just right.

I also have two 5-20s, but they are in a different league.

Sir,
    The 16 you looked through was it an older scope or was the new one with the center dot reticle? And have you looked at the 12 power. I like the idea of the 16 for what I am doing until I get my USO. That is the reason I don't want to spend a lot of money at t his time.

Sir,
    The 16 you looked through was it an older scope or was the new one with the center dot reticle? And have you looked at the 12 power. I like the idea of the 16 for what I am doing until I get my USO. That is the reason I don't want to spend a lot of money at t his time.

It was approximately 6-8 months ago when I looked at the 16x. My buddy had it for a few months at the time, so let's say it was purchased a year ago. It had the mil quad reticle, just like all of mine. I have not seen a 12x but would think it would be similar to the 10x.

My buddy didn't keep the 16x very long because it was so dark.

Ok thanks don't which way to go just my have to get the 12. Sad to hear the 16 was so dark. I have always heard the SS scopes were good to go.

Ok thanks don't which way to go just my have to get the 12. Sad to hear the 16 was so dark. I have always heard the SS scopes were good to go.

Don't get me wrong, for the $ they are gtg. All of mine have been durable and repeatable. I just think the 10x is the gem in the classic line.

Last edited: