• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes SWFA SS 1-6HD? Do you like yours?

Lead Heads

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 18, 2011
Fort Worth, TX
I have been thinking about getting a SWFA SS 1-6HD. JUST wondering if you have one how do you like it? It seem like every other day someone is listing one for sale. Are they no good?
or are they just changing their mind about having one?

Could be they are cashing in the $1000 scope that they only payed $800 for. Or they waited so long to get it shipped to them that things change in their own scheme, whatever that is.

I would not unload mine now as it is indeed a great scope. If I missed out on the initial group buy I would go to the optics for sale forum and happily pick one up.

It is an amazing scope... the rifle I had for it was sold long ago so I was thinking of unloading this scope, but after playing with it I just can't do it... too awesome of a scope. Building a new rifle for it. :p

The scope is brilliant. They used FFP to provide an excellent 1x reticle and an excellent 6x reticle. The glass is great. It feels very durable and strong. Illumination is adequate.

There are a couple of little nice touches, too. Like the knobs hold a spare illumination battery. Thread protectors and turret caps are provided, so turrets can be exposed or capped.

My only complaint is that the magnification ring is quite stiff and not easily gripped. I feel a switchview lever is pretty important, but some times those can't clear mounts. I wish a small lever was machined right into the mag ring itself.

I am very impressed with mine. The glass is very, very clear and sharp. The reticle is extremely good. The knobs not being overly tall help. I think they hit a home run with this one.

s

I really like mine so far only had it to the range once for about 150 rounds. My only complaints are I wish it had smaller turrets and it needs a throw lever. Glass is great, love the reticle. I shot with my brother in laws bushel 1-6.5 elite tactical sibe by side and am happy with the swfa especially since I paid around $400 less than the bushel at the time.

I sold mine, like everyone said, it has great glass but I wasn't impressed with the reticle design or illumination. Ended up going with the Vortex Gen II Razor, exactly what the doctor ordered.

Not a big fan. I'm going to list mine in a day or 2 with the mount. I wanted it for 3 gun and while its ok for that, there are other better options that I'm going to upgrade for. (Leupold MK6)

Pros - good glass, good adjustments, capped/uncapped turrets, solid feeling construction
Cons - heavy, cluttered reticule at 3-5x, not daylight bright (not its intended purpose)

It's a great optic and priced well. Just not what I wanted after waiting a year.

I am in agreement with others that the reticle is not good. The hash marks are too close and thick at 6x for you to be able to take an accurate shot without obscuring most of the target with the reticle's hashes. I thought that it would be excellent looking at it on paper, but in actuality I think the lines are simply too thick. The rest of the scope is excellent, of course the reticle is pretty much the most important part. I have very few rounds down the tube though and will continue to work with it a bit before making a final decision.

I am in agreement with others that the reticle is not good. The hash marks are too close and thick at 6x for you to be able to take an accurate shot without obscuring most of the target with the reticle's hashes. I thought that it would be excellent looking at it on paper, but in actuality I think the lines are simply too thick. The rest of the scope is excellent, of course the reticle is pretty much the most important part. I have very few rounds down the tube though and will continue to work with it a bit before making a final decision.

The retical, I couldn't disagree more. The center is open and the dot in the center of that I am able to use it to precisely place retical on center of whatever target. If target is black or just dark the illumination will aid in seeing the dot in the target.

This is a hybrid retical. At one power the circle dot type that is is very fast on target, especially with illumination. Again at 6x it is a working mil scale, too thick? I don't think so. I sold my USO 1.5-6 sn4 FF, one reason was because that retical was thick at 6x, SS 1-6 FFP @ 6x not even close as being so thick. Quite pleased in this regard. Works for me.

I, personally, would only be happier if the high end magnification went even higher. I use mine on my 6.8 SPC II deer/hog gun and it's near perfect (to me) for the ranges involved. I use a QD mount and swap to a different, high power scope when I really want precision (load development). Although at 100 yards the 6x is arguably good enough for load development. I'm thinking of selling my 1-4x and getting another 1-6x, but I'm also looking at the newer 1-8's out there.

Me too, switch out 1-6 for SS 12x for my load devel stuff, or just wanting tightest groups I can do. 1-6 isn't about that at all, although can do it at 100 for 1-6 practice getting used to it.

Purely a hunting & emergency scope for me, if you get my drift. That's what it is, of course.