• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Swfa ss 12x42

shooter.dm

Minuteman
Aug 22, 2011
Magee Mississippi
Well my millett broke and I was wondering if I should just maybe get a new scope or fix the millett and keep useing it. I can not afford a hi end scope and was considering the swfa ss 12x42 as it is in my price range. Any one have any reviews on this scope

I think the swfa fixed models definitely fall into the "best bang for your buck" category. Well built, good glass, great price, reliable tracking. I own a bunch of them now. So far, I've not had a single problem with them. For target shooting at longer ranges, I like the 12x over the 10x -the extra magnification seems to pay off, and the 12x reticle doesn't seem as tight/crowded as the 10x. If a fixed 12x will fit your uses, there's no need to hesitate on the swfa models. If for some reason you don't like it, they seem to hold their value and sell quickly here on the classifieds...

This review is for the 10x model, but there is some great info here:

REVIEW - SWFA Super Sniper 10X - SNIPER 101 - YouTube

I had a few of the 10X, 16x and 20x...this is my first 12x and I like it better than the 10x and 16x. I wanted more magnification than 10x and I felt 16x was too much, so I was happy when SWFA started offering the 12x version.

I had been shooting short ranges with a 1.5-6 USO on a LR-308. Good for hunting, but I'm not hunting & I needed something g with more magnification and a much thinner reticle for precision. I didn't want to spend a bundle either and went to SWFA site to looked at a lot of options.

The SWFA SS 12x42 is what was on my short list. I liked the Milquad reticle more than any others & I didn't think I really needed a variable power scope. I think it was a perfect choice, glass does the job well, love the reticle, turrets feel & sound good. Mil/mil, built well. I like it so much that when I can I want to trade it in on the new SS 3-15x42.

I was looking at a Millett to put on top of a .308 VTR that I have. Long story short, I when with the SWFA SS 20X42 fixed power scope. A little back ground on my type of shooting. I hunt the killer paper target. That's it. The longest that I shoot is 200 yards. I just can't find a longer range at this time. There is just one think I can say about the SWFA scope, I LOVE IT. If I would have known how good this scope works, I would have bought one years ago. The glass is clear, the turrets are easy to read and you can set them to zero, and the crosshairs are the right size. Go with the SWFA and don't look back. Joe

I bought 3 SS's so far with no issues. I usually shoot NF scopes and so far the 5-20 SS isn't quite as good but it's not far enough off to really matter for a civilian marksman. For the money they seem to be a good way to go. So far all have tracked very good and held zero perfect. I only have one fixed power and have yet to mount it up but prob will tomorrow.

Good luck

I agree the moniker "Super Sniper" is cheesie...but this is a great scope! I've had one of the 10X SWFA's on my M1A for four or five years now. ZERO issues with tracking or repeat ability.

NO doubt about it, there are others here with FAR more experience with LR optics than myself. But if you are in the market for a good fixed power in the 10-12 power range and don't have the coin for a high dollar piece of glass....Don't let the cheesie name influence you. Give one of these a try.

I just mounted mine on a new .17 hmr CZ455 that sees a lot of use as a gopher gun. Simply wanted to give it more trigger time and get more real world experience with the scope.

FN in MT

They are good scopes.

I like the 12x Mil/Mil version: The adjustments are more positive and the Mil quad reticle is very useable.

Just make sure that the reticle is level. I have owned seven or eight of them and I have sent two back, new out of the box, because the reticle was not level in the tube.

I ordered a SS 3-15x42 today, only to find out (7 hours later) that they're backordered.

SWFA - start paying a webmaster to maintain your site. The fact that your products do not display their current status is incredibly irritating - if it's not in stock, either unpublish it or let people know it's not available.

Their products are quality, but their website operations are lacking - by "lacking" I mean they don't have any website operations.

I ordered a SS 3-15x42 today, only to find out (7 hours later) that they're backordered.

SWFA - start paying a webmaster to maintain your site. The fact that your products do not display their current status is incredibly irritating - if it's not in stock, either unpublish it or let people know it's not available.

Their products are quality, but their website operations are lacking - by "lacking" I mean they don't have any website operations.

Seconded.

I had a 10x ordered then found out it was on backorder. I ended up picking up a new 3-15x42 on here second hand for a bit of a discount. I just wanted to get a rifle setup so I can go shoot.

have any of you had the SS 10x42m and the 10x42HD? I am wondering if the HD justifies the added cost...