• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes SWFA SS 5-20x50 HD Picture thread.......

Re: SWFA SS 5-20x50 HD Picture thread.......

Since we're telling range tales here. I was at a large public range several years ago and the person in the shooting bay had asked me to help him with his scope; zeroing it at 100 yards. As I looked over at his rifle, he had the scope mounted so that the elevation and windage knobs formed a "V" at 10:30 and 1:30. Obviously his crosshair looked like an "x" instead of "+". I had a good chuckle, as did he.

I also once saw (same range) some guy who was obviously new to shooting, take a brand new Glock out of its box, look it over and proceed to load it by turning the gun upside-down and pouring a box of ammo into the magwell, then try to use the magazine as a plunger. ! Someone next to him quickly saw and assisted him (I would have if he didn't), but I decided that it was a good time to pack things up and head home for the day before he figured out how to shoot it.

I won't say where but I was at a shooting school with some buddies. One of said buddies had the range master help him quickly mount his scope before the class.

He brought it over to me as I had a bore sighter and said got it all setup can we bore sight it. I grabbed it and the range master had put the scope on wrong so the windage was on top and elevation on left side. lol we got a good laugh. Especially when I took it up to him and said with a big grin what the heck is this.

He must have just been having a bad day as he was an ex marine rifle instructor and had 30+ years under his belt of shooting rifles. Cracks me up everytime I think about his look when I showed him.

P1030111.jpg

P1030116.jpg

P1030119.jpg

P1030141.jpg

P1030146.jpg

Great pics animal, don't know how tall hay bales are. How far is that? Ordered mine on 6/2, getting closer but still. So so jealous of everyone that has their scope already.

Flyingbullseye

i'm going to say 464 yards. i haven't seen hay bales like that around here lol. they are either the smaller squares or big round bales. i guess it at 4 feet tall and 2.8 mils

4'x4'x6' if I'm correct. At 2.8 mils, it'd be about 476 yard.

At looking at my picture again, it's more like 2.7 mils, we are looking at the hay bale at taking more then the face of it into consideration(we can see part of the top). I'm thinking that it's more like 2.7, being about 493.

I know its just a term thrown out for all throw levers on scopes but the "Cat Tail" is made by Charlie Drissel and the "Switchview" lever that SWFA is using is made by MGM Targets . I know it doesn't make a lick of difference as far as what they do but the guys who make them will be quick to point out the difference
wink.gif

Got mine about an hour ago (4:30 eastern time), it's not finished mounting but it's sitting on the stick. I'm a happy camper
ss-scope3.jpg

ss-scope2.jpg

ss-scope.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jtb33</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I also once saw (same range) some guy who was obviously new to shooting, take a brand new Glock out of its box, look it over and proceed to load it by turning the gun upside-down and pouring a box of ammo into the magwell, then try to use the magazine as a plunger. </div></div>

wow.....really.....wow......

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 7.62Texan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Got a brown box from UPS on the porch today when i got home. I unpacked it and was very pleased with the overall build quality, turrets, and glass. Glass looks very good, only had my SS 3-9 to compare to, but hey it looks good so far. Turrets are very positive with audible clicks, I love the larger diameter as well. Took the elevation cover off (as pictured) and looked to be beefy. The side parallax and Illumination adjustments are nice, I didnt find them interferring with each other during adjustments. Just got it mounted in Seekins high rings and laser bore sighted it. Hopefully will get to shoot with it soon.

100_4115.jpg

100_4117.jpg

100_4118.jpg

100_4116.jpg

100_4126.jpg

100_4119.jpg
</div></div>

are those seekins low rings?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: m1k3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Picked mine up today from SWFA along with some rings. Here are some picks while we are staying in Austin.

IMG_1957-1000.jpg

IMG_1958-1000.jpg

IMG_1956-1000.jpg

Taken at 20x via an iPhone 3g. Not pad. Great scope so far. I should get it mounted this weekend and give it a test run on its new home Sunday.

Mike </div></div>thats looks like one of the windows in the Embassy Suites and Austin.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LongArm</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 7.62Texan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Got a brown box from UPS on the porch today when i got home. I unpacked it and was very pleased with the overall build quality, turrets, and glass. Glass looks very good, only had my SS 3-9 to compare to, but hey it looks good so far. Turrets are very positive with audible clicks, I love the larger diameter as well. Took the elevation cover off (as pictured) and looked to be beefy. The side parallax and Illumination adjustments are nice, I didnt find them interferring with each other during adjustments. Just got it mounted in Seekins high rings and laser bore sighted it. Hopefully will get to shoot with it soon.

100_4115.jpg

100_4117.jpg

100_4118.jpg

100_4116.jpg

100_4126.jpg

100_4119.jpg
</div></div>

are those seekins low rings? </div></div>

In the description he says Seekins high rings.

IMG_5627.jpg

IMG_5630.jpg

IMG_5638.jpg

IMG_5632.jpg

IMG_5666.jpg

IMG_5657.jpg

yeah, that poor little SS 5-20x50 is being drawn into a black hole of an ATN! resistance is futile!

i haven't mounted the swfa yet due to possibly going with low rings vs medium atop the badger ord riser... this is all going on an AR-10T.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bizill</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
IMG_5657.jpg

yeah, that poor little SS 5-20x50 is being drawn into a black hole of an ATN! resistance is futile!

</div></div>

Shock.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LongArm</div><div class="ubbcode-body">thats looks like one of the windows in the Embassy Suites and Austin.</div></div>

Yes it was.

A little update on my experiences. Scopes is great. The illumination does bleed but doesn't bother me. The optics are crisp, the clicks are pretty nice, parallax works great.

So far my only issue, and I'm not even sure if its a real issue yet or not, is that at times it seems that the windage properly. I think it may be me or the wind but if I adjust the scope a click or 2, it doesn't respond right away. Probably just me and the wind has been so bad lately can't really rule out the wind.

Still love it though.

Mike

2/7th of my order is in-hand...

First one that arrived about a month ago went on my .223 squirrel & varmint gun...

700223.jpg

And here's the second that arrived yesterday afternoon. Today's episode of "$320 rifle, $1000 scope" brought to you by a .17hmr Marlin 917VSF and SWFA.
laugh.gif

marlin.jpg

And yes, the permanent home for the 5-20 is on top the Marlin using a DIP 25MOA base and Burris Signature Zee rings. I use the Marlin on a regular basis for ground squirrel control at several properties that are too small for the .223. I figure as much as I use the rifle it might as well have nice glass!

I'll post a "family picture" with all 7 5-20's once they arrive and are mounted.
grin.gif

There is NO reason to explain why you put that glass on a Marlin...they make exellent rimfire rifles. My Father has a 917 in 17hmr, one of the first ones that were available and he wins damn near every rimfire match we have at the club. Typically beating out Winchester 52's, Anschutz, and much higher dollar rifles. He loves to rub it in everyones nose that they just got smoked by an "old, blind man shooting a $300 Marlin".

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kiba</div><div class="ubbcode-body">2/7th of my order is in-hand...

First one that arrived about a month ago went on my .223 squirrel & varmint gun...

700223.jpg

And here's the second that arrived yesterday afternoon. Today's episode of "$320 rifle, $1000 scope" brought to you by a .17hmr Marlin 917VSF and SWFA."
laugh.gif

marlin.jpg

And yes, the permanent home for the 5-20 is on top the Marlin. I use the Marlin on a regular basis for ground squirrel control at several properties that are too small for the .223. I figure as much as I use the rifle it might as well have nice glass!

I'll post a "family picture" with all 7 5-20's once they arrive and are mounted.
grin.gif
</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rbeckwith</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There is NO reason to explain why you put that glass on a Marlin...they make exellent rimfire rifles. My Father has a 917 in 17hmr, one of the first ones that were available and he wins damn near every rimfire match we have at the club. Typically beating out Winchester 52's, Anschutz, and much higher dollar rifles. He loves to rub it in everyones nose that they just got smoked by an "old, blind man shooting a $300 Marlin". </div></div>

LOL, I hear you. Marlin's machining on the bolt and inside the receiver might be a little rough but the thing is an absolute tack driver, deadly to small furry critters, and has never failed me out in the field. I recently added the tacticool stock, karsten cheekrest, and bedded in inserts for the accushot rail up front and a flushcup on the LH rear. Totally transformed the feel of the rifle. The 5-20HD just completes the package.
grin.gif

A month ago I was thinking about replacing it with a Sako or CZ in a Manners T4 but the Marlin is very accurate and gets the job done. Rather than buy a CZ or Sako I'm spending the money on a Giraud annealer instead.
laugh.gif

rem 700 AAC-SD,EGW HD 20 moa base, Aad Mount low rings, Weaver sun shade.
IMG_20110730_145811.jpg

223AI, Seekins 20moa base and low rings.

IMG_0372.jpg

IMG_0369.jpg

IMG_0371.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: animalmother85</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
P1030111.jpg

P1030116.jpg

P1030119.jpg

P1030141.jpg

P1030146.jpg
</div></div>

why do you gotta' rub it in like that? Nice rifle!

I haven't mounted it yet as it's going on an XLR chassis rifle (and I needed to see what height rings I needed). Here is a size comparison to SWFA's 3-9x scope.

1046708329_photobucket_41101_.jpg

1046708329_photobucket_41102_.jpg

9NAgk.jpg

Repeatable shots out to 1165 yards. Found a small problem that SWFA is going to correct, but damn other than that, it worked flawlessly!

I just got mine in yesterday.........turrets feel great but haven't even had a chance to mount the scope yet to get a good feel for the glass. Eye relief is awesome. I am having trouble getting the reticle in focus even with the eyepiece screwed all the way in. I am nervous there won't be enough diopter adjustment to get it in focus for me. My 2 IOR's have enough but need to be about 1/3 of a turn away from screwed all the way in before they are right for me. Didn't see the specs on the diopter adjustment listed on SWFA website to compare to the IOR's which have +4/-4.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Yasherka</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Don't leave us hanging....what was the problem? </div></div>

When I zeroed the scope, the windage knob would not center perfectly on zero. Always .1mil left or right. The splines didn't seem to be centering up on certain positions. SWFA will replace my scope.

I have a Remington 700 with a EGW 20 MOA rail. I have Seekins low rings. Will the lows work? I have seen others with similar set ups with different 20 MOA rails but low and high rings. Can anyone say for sure.

Thanks
LongArm

Rem 700 w/ EGW 20 MOA and Burris Low rings are clearing even my M24 barrel. I don't think the cat tail will work with it though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SWFA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Analyzing the eye box pre-mounted is nothing compared to the guy that came in yesterday.

He purchased a 1.5-4.5x24 Barska and brought it back because it had tunnel vision, poor eye relief and was not magnifying objects it was making objects look smaller and further away than they really were.

We just told him to turn the scope around and look through the other end and viola just like magic all of his problems with the scope were solved. </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SWFA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nope and the bad thing is he brought his girlfriend in with him, you know she will never let him live that down. </div></div>Nah man, she might leave his dumb ace for that one. Wow haha

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jtb33</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Since we're telling range tales here.

I also once saw (same range) some guy who was obviously new to shooting, take a brand new Glock out of its box, look it over and <span style="font-weight: bold">proceed to load it by turning the gun upside-down and pouring a box of ammo into the magwell, then try to use the magazine as a plunger. !</span> Someone next to him quickly saw and assisted him (I would have if he didn't), but <span style="font-weight: bold">I decided that it was a good time to pack things up and head home for the day before he figured out how to shoot it</span>. </div></div>Good grief, you can't make that stuff up. Another wow.

Good thinking, I would have left too.

He's lucky someone was brave enough to help him or he probably would have used the barrel as a peep sight...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shane135</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Yasherka</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Don't leave us hanging....what was the problem? </div></div>

When I zeroed the scope, the windage knob would not center perfectly on zero. Always .1mil left or right. The splines didn't seem to be centering up on certain positions. SWFA will replace my scope. </div></div>

I have this problem too except it is with the elevation adjustment....

Got my SSHD-5-20 on Friday of last week and got it mounted up over the weekend in some low burris XTR's with an EGW 20MOA Base on my Savage 260 AI. Have not been to the range rate, but first impression of scope is great. This thing is seriously beefy! Looking forward to trying it out!

Sav260SSHD-1.jpg

Sav260SSHD-2.jpg

Sav260SSHD-3.jpg

Maybe a rookie question, but the Butler Creeks swfa sent with this scope, can you not bottom out the front objective cover to the end of bell? When i do it's near impossible to flip open or close the cover. If I mount it about halfway, it functions flawlessly. Is one not supposed to fully mount the Butler?

Hmm, mine work just fine

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bizill</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Maybe a rookie question, but the Butler Creeks swfa sent with this scope, can you not bottom out the front objective cover to the end of bell? When i do it's near impossible to flip open or close the cover. If I mount it about halfway, it functions flawlessly. Is one not supposed to fully mount the Butler? </div></div>

Mine work just like they are supposed to. Do you have the 19 and 44 sizes?

Will have to check when I get home. I ordered the set everyone else did when i placed my order for the 5-20ss. My eyepiece and objective came in a ziplock bag but had the two yellow paperboard pieces within. I don't recall whether or not they listed size on them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bizill</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Maybe a rookie question, but the Butler Creeks swfa sent with this scope, can you not bottom out the front objective cover to the end of bell? When i do it's near impossible to flip open or close the cover. If I mount it about halfway, it functions flawlessly. Is one not supposed to fully mount the Butler? </div></div>

Mine have this same problem, I have not tried putting them partially on but when they are all the way on it takes a LOT of force to open them.

Like so much that both my thumbs hurt when pressing on both tabs at the same time, like 20-30lbs of force I'm guessing.

The rear one I can't open with the red lever, it would break, I have to use my nails to open it and it's quite difficult.

It's even very difficult to get them to close, once it took me 2min just to close the two caps.

I have Butlers on all my other scopes and have not had this problem until now.

Mine are tight too, but they loosen up (just a little) with prolonged use. Flip them a hundred times or so and they'll loosen up enough to not be a pain in the ass to use.

What Jason? I post two up so you gotta post three? That's war right there.

HOUSEPICS2011013.jpg

Just received mine Friday and can't wait to take it out soon.
IMG_1376.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rmyers2213</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I bought 2 of these scopes and ran out of money for my second project. If you or anybody you know is looking to buy one of these scopes, new-never mounted, with no waiting time, PM me </div></div>

<span style="font-weight: bold">Try not to skate the rules.</span>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You Must be a "Full" Contributing Member to post in the For Sale Section of this Site.

1. Minimum of 100 posts. You must contribute to this site in a positive manner. "LOL" does not count as a contribution to this site. Those attempting to pad their post count in order to meet the minimum post requirements will be banned from the site for no less than 30 days.

2. You must fill out your profile with a city, state, and email address in your profile.

To do this, your city and state goes in the "Geography" line.

The email we need to see is in the "Public Email Address" box.

If you do not meet this criteria you will be asked to correct it. If you do not correct it, your post will be removed. If it is still not corrected, you will be removed from the forum for no less than 3 days.

3. You are not allowed to post in the For Sale section until you have reached the minimum number of posts. (100) The forum software is set up to prevent you from being able to start a topic in this section for a reason. Attempting to circumvent this block by posting an ad selling something in another area of the forum will result in your immediate removal from the site. Your ad / post will be deleted and your account suspended </div></div>

Just waiting on the SWFA sunshade. I hope I get out to play with my rifle this weekend!

IMG_5695.jpg