• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

SWFA ultra-light 2.5-10

supercorndogs

Ham Fisted Gorilla
Minuteman
Feb 17, 2014
Colorado
I was bumming around looking at light scopes last night. Most stuff that is pretty small is still 15+ oz. Even my Razor LH 2-10 is 15oz and it sports a 56ft min FOV. I went to check out the SWFA ultra-light. Its a 2.5-10 with a weight of 9.5oz and minimum FOV of 46ft. I can't find them in stock, but I back ordered one since they are sale right now.

I haven't seen ultralight mentioned much around here. I would have preferred they put their mil quad reticle in it, but there is a ballistic reticle option for a little more than the duplex. I am surprised that an ultralight hunting scope with a mil based reticle hasn't even been built, let alone catch on in the hunting world. The SWFA ultra-light would be the prefect example if it had their mil-quad reticle as an option.

For me, and of lot of hunters, we don't need to dial. My hard limit is 600y. I think for a lot of people it is less, and for some very skilled people, it is more. So for me about 3.6 mils gets me to my maximum range on game. Any ole mil based reticle can give me that, and I don't need to carry another 20oz of scope since I don't really need it to track, just hold zero.

Sure would be nice if I could get something like the SWFA ultra-light with a mil based reticle. I think i a lot of people were honest with what they wanted in a hunting scope,{people here dragging 40oz scopes over the mountain} and understood the utility of a simple mil-dot{not people here, Fudd Logic} it could get very popular.{voice of reason scope choice and Fudd logic united}:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

The Razor LH MOA based reticle is ok, but I jus feel dirty doing things in MOA. 🤡 🤣 :ROFLMAO: Plus try to find one...

I think the market is completely void of light weight hunting scopes that are not designed with fudd logic. Leopold is a prime example. They have some great scopes, but their reticles seem like they were designed by someone's 98year old uncle for his -06.

SWFA ultralight is light. That’s the good part. I don’t want to say it’s not a very good scope, but if you’re used to very good scopes you’re not going to think it’s a very good scope. I describe it as serviceable. ( and I am NOT just used to very good scopes). I’d also say it’s 2.5 x 8+, maybe 9 in the field. And only 10 on the range because eye box/alignment gets fussy all the way up. I think putting a cluttered reticle on it would probably be a waste because you’re unlikely(?) to shoot it very long range.

I have one on my Fieldcraft and I often think about taking it off and putting a better scope on it, because while it’s an extremely accurate rifle, it’s also the most difficult to shoot I’ve ever owned. The scope isn’t helping. I also don’t really need an ultralight rifle, and the added weight would probably be unnoticed and an improvement.

SWFA ultralight is light. That’s the good part. I don’t want to say it’s not a very good scope, but if you’re used to very good scopes you’re not going to think it’s a very good scope. I describe it as serviceable. ( and I am NOT just used to very good scopes). I’d also say it’s 2.5 x 8+, maybe 9 in the field. And only 10 on the range because eye box/alignment gets fussy all the way up. I think putting a cluttered reticle on it would probably be a waste because you’re unlikely(?) to shoot it very long range.

I have one on my Fieldcraft and I often think about taking it off and putting a better scope on it, because while it’s an extremely accurate rifle, it’s also the most difficult to shoot I’ve ever owned. The scope isn’t helping. I also don’t really need an ultralight rifle, and the added weight would probably be unnoticed and an improvement.
I wasn't hoping for much but they are on sale for 270. You don't get much scope at that price anyway. Less than 600y on big game most scopes are serviceable. The razor lh 2-10 is probably one of my favorites. my monarch 2.5-10 is not much to look at or through, but its done the job plenty of times.

I wasn't hoping for much but they are on sale for 270. You don't get much scope at that price anyway.

I'd say most of the scopes I own in that range are superior optically.

I’d also say it’s 2.5 x 8+, maybe 9 in the field. And only 10 on the range because eye box/alignment gets fussy all the way up.
This is the conclusion I drew from watching the cdoes review. I wish SWFA would either do this scope as a 2-8 or bump it up to 30mm and trade another oz or 2 for better optics.

Without a doubt, lightweight scopes with good modern reticles and features is the biggest hole in the optics market right now.

I have one on my 6.5 creed. It’s ok nothing special about it. I have only taken it out to 300 yards once. Tactical Timmy head hit the nail on head there’s a giant void where hunting scopes need to be updated
4349979B-94A2-42C7-A612-7EDFDE16D2B2.jpeg

As one data point, here's a field evaluation, including drop-test, of that scope: https://rokslide.com/forums/threads/swfa-ss-ul-2-5-10x32mm-field-evaluation.279165/

As David W mentioned above, a lot of backcountry hunters use the fixed 6x, or the 3-9. They're not sexy, don't have the "best glass", but they're reliable, where most other lightweight scopes aren't.

SWFA just got in over 100 (I think) of the 3-9s a couple of weeks ago. They're all gone already ...

The fixed 6x is 20oz. There are variable power 30mm tube scopes on the market that weight about the same.

The 3-9 is 17oz. Which is better, but on the portly side of light.

any idea of compatible flip lens covers with this scope? i think its too small for the mostrum ones i usually get.