• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Swimmers

match-grade

Private
Minuteman
Aug 29, 2006
Knoxville, TN
Here is the deal:

I am 36, and only started swimming just this past summer. I never really liked doing it in the past. But I decided that I wanted to start competing in Tri's and, well, swimming is sort of mandatory.

Anyway, I actually took to it this time fairly well. The instructor I found worked wonders with me and I am up to 2000 yards in the pool every couple of days. My form is good from what i have been told. However, I feel like I am slow.

Currently, I can hold about 1:30 in freestyle for the first 200 yards. After that, its a steady 2:00 per 100 up to 2000 yards.

I know thats' not awful, but I like to compete, not just participate. At this rate, in an Olympic distance, this puts me 5 to 10 minutes behind coming out of the water. Between the bike and run, I can make up a lot of this time, but not all of it.

So to the gist of the question: when does it "click?" I watch others swim, who have been doing it a while, and they are just so much faster. It is impressive to watch. I rotate my hips with the pull, and keep my head tucked. I think my recovery with my arms are a little slow. I guess at 36, and doing it for only 7 months, I am not there with the muscle development, but when does it happen?

besides joining a masters league, any suggestions? I simply cannot take the time for a masters session. I am already training 15 hours a week.

Thanks in advance.

Re: Swimmers

Swimming paid my way through a NCAA D1 scholarship, and up until I graduated I swam just about every day of my life. Like everything else it just comes with practice. There is no voo-doo to it, unfortunately. You just have to put the *right* effort into it

Little things help to get you there faster, like focusing on proper technique rather than splits. Executing good flip-turns and underwaters speed you up tremendously, proper elbows and stroke finishing, etc...etc... The reality is this: just get out there and practice on sound fundamentals, and the splits will follow.

Sounds like shooting, eh?

ha, yeah, no kidding.

I don't flip turn yet. I try it every once in a while, but it completely messes me up.

For strength training, are there a few dry land exercises that could add to the strength?

If you're doing "tri's" won't you be swimming in open water (i.e. no flip turns)?

My experience with swimming is, EVERYTHING is about efficiency. If you are thinking about your speed all the time then you will only go slower.

Try to make every stroke as efficient as possible. Do more with less... relax and your times will come down.

Like what 223 said.. Practice is everything in swimming.. The best thing to do is alternate between swimming and working out. To be honest most people think that the faster you move your hands and kick the faster you move that would be FALSE, well until you are damn good.

The best thing I can tell you to work on is your breathing and coasting, in tri;s that is probably where you will get a good 2-3 minutes faster! I know it sounds funny but its the truth.

Technique / efficiency is the name of the game when it comes to swimming, especially in open water as in most Tri's.

Total Immersion classes, among other formal training venues, are a good way to improve technique if you haven't learned it earlier in life through competition.

Hey Match-grade,

I competed in Tri's for the first time in 2012. They were fun and got me my goals of weight loss, accomplishment for 40th b-day, better shape and feel better about myself. I'm <span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold"></span>not</span> GQ magazine material, nor do I ever plan to be. But I just feel better, a LOT better!

2000yd swims is awesome!! That being said, I applaud your competitiveness for the water. In Tri, while you may gain 1:00-1:30 with better swim times, you'll gain much more time in smooth transitions, faster bike, faster run.

PRACTICE TRANSITIONS!!!!!! Swim in open water, even if only 200yds(with a buddy watcher), practice transition, bike, even if only a few miles, come back, run. Don't have your first transition be in first Tri. Learn how it feels to get wet-suit off, put on helmet, where to put on sunglasses, put on bike gloves as you ride, not in transition, etc.

Much like the swimming stroke and making it efficient. Make all your movements in T1 and T2 efficient. To steal a phrase from Chris Costa "Economy of motion."

In short, it'll be easier to make up more time in Bike, Run or even T1 & T2 than in swim.

Keep up the swimming though, sounds like you're rockin' it!

-G45

Time in the water... I have a co-worker that is a two time IM 70.3 world championship qualifier, and came out of the water only a little over a minute behind Andy Potts during IM New Orleans.

He has worked with me, and while I can't keep up with his easy pace while sprinting, he said my form was for the most part, OK. He keeps telling me that time in the water is what is most important, that your body will eventually find the most effiecent way to move through the water.

I'm about a 1:30-1:40 per 100 swimmer, so I still have a way to go as well. I wan't to be able to hold less than 1:15 per 100 for 70.3 and 140.6 distances.

One thing that has helped me is pressing my chest. When my butt comes up, it makes a huge difference.

I swim mostly CSS so it is a lot better than my freestyle. I took a TI clinic to tune up form and it was well worth it.

I don't understand what your goal is in terms of time/distance. I get you want to be faster, but you need to pick a data point. E.g. (n) distance, in (x) time or less.

Once you do that the best way to go after it is interval training. If your goal is a half mile swim, you might break it up into 6 300Y intervals with rest in between equal to the effort. Each interval is max effort - hit the wall like jelly, with nothing left.

Another thing that really helps me out is a kodak playsport video camera. It works underwater or on surface and really lets you see what your form looks like. It also counts laps, lets you look at the stroke count, and keeps time.

--Fargo007

Man best excercise going.

I could eat whatever I wanted and not gain weght when I was swimming 3-5 times a week an hour a session.

I work out to eat and really miss my most efficient form of excercise now that having two kids doesnt give me time.

My form was horrible. I usually look like Im drowning so no help for you regarding form.

I'm not an expert swimmer but I was on my high school team for 4 years and I played some water polo in undergrad. I was our long distance swimmer and the 500 was my main event. Form is critical in swimming, if you don't have proper form you will wear yourself out twice as fast. But it seems that form is not your major concern, and with practice you are bound to improve. Remember, swimming takes a long time and it is a very demanding sport. I think you are doing all the right things. Just take it one day at a time. I have one tip for you though. Other than proper form and constant training many swimmers have the mental barrier. That last phase in your 200 and 500 can be very excruciating (your lungs feel empty and every muscle in your body is burning) and this is the time when the mental component comes into play. Before every meet I would spend an hour, the night before, listening to relaxing sounds and picturing myself actually swimming the entire event. I would train my brain not to focus on the pain but to just think of anything that will take my thoughts away from my tired muscles. You would be surprised how much this helps. When I was on the team we had a tape with the relaxing sounds and a voice guiding you through what you should be focusing on during the time you are swimming.I would also take a couple of minutes to go through my entire swim right before the event. I sounds crazy but it did wonders for me. Its worth a try.

Also 1:30 for the first 200 freestyle is really fast, its flying. Try pacing yourself and gradually get faster. Take the first 200 easy then start increasing your pace gradually. I have seen way too many guys lap some of us in the 500 but were 25 yards behind when we reached the finish line.

I love swimming. I am also a swimmer from last two years. I just want to say one thing that its a best cardio exercise for our complete body. This is a best workout in which our whole body works.

Here is the deal:

I am 36, and only started swimming just this past summer. I never really liked doing it in the past. But I decided that I wanted to start competing in Tri's and, well, swimming is sort of mandatory.

Anyway, I actually took to it this time fairly well. The instructor I found worked wonders with me and I am up to 2000 yards in the pool every couple of days. My form is good from what i have been told. However, I feel like I am slow.

Currently, I can hold about 1:30 in freestyle for the first 200 yards. After that, its a steady 2:00 per 100 up to 2000 yards.

I know thats' not awful, but I like to compete, not just participate. At this rate, in an Olympic distance, this puts me 5 to 10 minutes behind coming out of the water. Between the bike and run, I can make up a lot of this time, but not all of it.

So to the gist of the question: when does it "click?" I watch others swim, who have been doing it a while, and they are just so much faster. It is impressive to watch. I rotate my hips with the pull, and keep my head tucked. I think my recovery with my arms are a little slow. I guess at 36, and doing it for only 7 months, I am not there with the muscle development, but when does it happen?

besides joining a masters league, any suggestions? I simply cannot take the time for a masters session. I am already training 15 hours a week.

Thanks in advance.

Great Match-Grade
I joined Master Swimmers couple years ago. Training 2x a week. Getting better every day (except Christmas) :)

Practice form first, the rest will follow. If you have the opportunity to have a trainer watch and give pointers the will help greatly.i swam everyday during the summers in the Ohio River and competed in the winters in high school. Speed comes from miles and miles of form practice. I learned form thru the teachings of a man at the time named Doc Conselman. He was the water guru at the time I was lapping my life away.
A good friend if mine got back in the pool in his mid 40's, his high school records still stand today. 5:05 in the 500 and 4:02 in the 400. It took him 2 years in practice until he won his age division at the nationals in senior division. 500 freestyle..
But take it slowly because shoulders that haven't been used this way before need to be developed. Or you will be going to physical therapy for mad shoulder syndrome.....
At any rate enjoy what you are accomplishing with every lap. Better health.

swimming is my weakest point, i tried hard to improve and got the exact same time i did on my second ironman, as i had on the first.
that said i have a goofy kick and unique form. its efficient though, as i dominate on the bike and continue that on the run.
its kind of fun to pass people the rest of the race if you come out of the water later than most :)
the silver lining of being a slow swimmer means i pass 1000+ people on the bike and a couple hundred on the run. i swear that makes me go faster on the last 2 segments, as im constantly pumped trying to pass each approaching person.