• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report Switchy Winds Today

aslrookie

Private
Minuteman
Mar 19, 2017
Today I started out at 485 yards and got hits no problem. 610 yards wasn’t a big deal either. Then at 750 yards I got my butt kicked.

My target was a 40% IPSC steel target. The winds were 9 to 3, 3 to 9, 6 to 12, 2 to 5, gusts, and died off. It would do almost all of this within a few seconds at times. I was constantly off by a tenth on wind on either side. I would see my bullet splash, make a correction, wind changed, and then barely off again.

None of my rounds were way off target. Granted a 40% IPSC at 750 isn’t the smallest target, but it doesn’t allow much room for error either.

I had some pink tape that I tied to the target stand. The only problem is it’s so light that you can’t see the difference between a 5 and 10mph wind which meant I had to also watch mirage and vegetation.

The wind changed so often I was constantly adjusting my hold waiting for a consistent wind hold.

What do you guys use for wind readings at the target? I think the tape was too light and made me overestimate the wind at times.

a 40% is basically 1 MOA at 750

but the way you're describing the winds that's a tall task

a 40% is basically 1 MOA at 750

but the way you're describing the winds that's a tall task

Yeah I know, just figured training on a smaller target will make me better at wind calls. Wind has always been something that I never fully understood. Today made me a hell of a lot better.

I was shooting in somewhat similar sounding conditions on the weekend at 1000. Mine was due to rain/storm squalls coming and going. The rain squalls would whip the winds up all over the place and from different directions. Like you I use the pink flagging tape at target, mid way to target and at my shooting position. The tape is not much use for speed like you say its too light. Does show direction though.

What I found interesting was I would get a few hits in a row right along centre waterline then all of a sudden clean miss. 30 seconds later I would be hit with gusts over 15mph that would almost blow my gazebo over!!!! Those gusts which I wasn't able to see at way down range are smashing that bullet

Yeah I know, just figured training on a smaller target will make me better at wind calls. Wind has always been something that I never fully understood. Today made me a hell of a lot better.
A 1moa target at 750 can kick a lot of good shooters asses. Have you ever heard pistol guys say shoot paper and learn before advancing to steel? Having large freshly painted steel is a good way to learn, impacts are right now, and you're not gazing through dust stirred up on a berm, or deciding how far off you were if the bullet travels another 150 yards before splashing down. Aim small-miss small is a cool concept, if you are good and can read conditions.

You were in a tough condition for sure. Caliber? A 308 at 750 will give even a good shooter fits with that wind.

I use orange ribbon (to wrap gift packages) for wind indicators as surveyors tape does not fair well in the cold as well as what you mentioned above. I get almost a year out of the ribbon.

Yeah I know, just figured training on a smaller target will make me better at wind calls. Wind has always been something that I never fully understood.
A 1moa target at 750 can kick a lot of good shooters asses. Have you ever heard pistol guys say shoot paper and learn before advancing to steel? Having large freshly painted steel is a good way to learn, impacts are right now, and you're not gazing through dust stirred up on a berm, or deciding how far off you were if the bullet travels another 150 yards before splashing down. Aim small-miss small is a cool concept, if you are good and can read conditions.
Your idea is ok IF you can see your misses and tell with certainty where they impacted, but I think Milo is right. Nothing wrong with using a larger target to get a definitive answer on how far off you were on your call. And if you get it right, a small group centered on a 100% IPSC is the same as one centered on a 40% one.

I used to use the same thin plastic survey tape you used, but I learned from @tnichols that 2" woven fabric ribbon (from a craft store like Hobby Lobby, used for making bows for wreaths, etc) works a lot better. He shoots in far more wind every day out in the wide-open, Pumphandle, IA cornfields than we do down here, and he suggested I try it. It's heavier and not over-sensitive to light winds like survey tape, plus it doesn't shred when it gets hit by shrapnel, or get brittle in the sun. As a result, I only have to change them on my range every year or so. It comes in all the bright neon colors like survey tape does, too.

Reactions: lash and aslrookie
Wouldn't you know he posted while I was typing!

TGR15750.jpg

Here's what we're talking about. I couldn't find it on Hobby Lobby or Michael's site, but I know my wife picks it up for me at one or the other because she's in there all the time. This image came from an online supplier, and is listed as "grosgrain ribbon". And, not the "wired-edge" version.

Last edited:
I will have to get my hands on some of that and see how it goes. Any idea on how much wind it takes before it moves?

I was using the angle of the tape as my wind estimates, but it would be at 90* and only 5-6mph of wind but I’m reading it downrange as 8-10mph.

It will respond to virtually any wind, even 1 mph, but it is heavier and it takes more wind to make it stand out than the plastic tape. It’s hard to give you an exact calibration like a standardized 15 Kt windsock at the airfield, but offhand I’d guess it takes about 10 mph to make it stand out fully horizontal.

You have to check mirage on fishtailing head/tail winds. I've shot and hit, then reversed my hold to the other side and hit again, you just have to pay attention so you notice when it moves. Still feels like it's straight ahead/behind but it's not.

Reactions: tnichols
^^ True stuff. Also need to add that the wind near the gun has more effect on bullet drift than wind at the target, so it gets more weight in the firing solution.

Reactions: tnichols
You have to check mirage on fishtailing head/tail winds. I've shot and hit, then reversed my hold to the other side and hit again, you just have to pay attention so you notice when it moves. Still feels like it's straight ahead/behind but it's not.

When I was looking at mirage, it was boiling during head/tailwinds. Is there something specific I should be looking for in regards to mirage? I know the more it boils the slower the wind speed and the more horizontal the faster.

It will respond to virtually any wind, even 1 mph, but it is heavier and it takes more wind to make it stand out than the plastic tape. It’s hard to give you an exact calibration like a standardized 15 Kt windsock at the airfield, but offhand I’d guess it takes about 10 mph to make it stand out fully horizontal.
Agreed.

When I was looking at mirage, it was boiling during head/tailwinds. Is there something specific I should be looking for in regards to mirage? I know the more it boils the slower the wind speed and the more horizontal the faster.

Yes, when it's changing direction it doesn't boil, it sort of shimmers...looks like it's having a seizure as it reverses direction. If you see that, you'll see it switch and can reverse your hold after it settles.

Reactions: aslrookie
As far as putting tape/wind indicators on targets, I use construction marking tape (super thin plastic) that floats really really easily in the wind. It's cheap and shows changes of just 1mph or less pretty easily.

CH Hanson Fluorescent Orange Flagging Tape

If you also add a heavier ribbon or tie the first half with Paracord and construction tape as a long tail, it will be better suited for stronger winds (8-12mph or so).