• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

T-post Target Stand

cfolsom

Private
Minuteman
Jul 13, 2012
Idaho
Looking for advice and ideas on some target stands. My local range is out in a lava flow so pounding tposts in the ground is not an option but we have access to a bunch of tposts and tpost hangers for targets. Do you all have any ideas of good target stands that will hold up a tpost so we can hang some targets. Looking for something that wouldn't be too expensive as we would like to eventually put out 10+ targets. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
As far as T posts go I can't really help you but I made my target stands out of 1/2" gas line. Brand of gas line is bluefin. It was pretty cheap when I got it online, not sure the price now.

bCl24HV.jpg

g0wPebO.jpg

KX4p4rt.jpg

Do0R5gW.jpg

5087kar.jpg

t5UEzPC.jpg

Nice work on the target stands, @Clayman . Yeah, cost of pipe and fittings would make a bit pricey to shoot at now, IMO.

I believe each stand was like $40-45. 5 pack of long poles was $37.

I use them from 10 yards out to 1000+. I've only damaged one pipe to the point of having to replace it.

I know I could have made something cheaper but if a part fails, oh well $1-10 gets you another piece to thread in. Also for loading up, setting up, taking down and going home twisting/untwisting some pipes together is pretty quick and easy.

Reactions: Random One
As far as T posts go I can't really help you but I made my target stands out of 1/2" gas line. Brand of gas line is bluefin. It was pretty cheap when I got it online, not sure the price now.

bCl24HV.jpg

g0wPebO.jpg

KX4p4rt.jpg

Do0R5gW.jpg

5087kar.jpg

t5UEzPC.jpg
Those look good. Problem with a public range is those chains and small pipes will get destroyed in short order.

Reactions: Clayman
I'm using 1" electrical conduit setup like you see in the LINK

You only need to buy the corners and some hangers Link of the type hanger you prefer Link and cut the pipe you picked up at the hardware.

My only problem, shooting this setup at 100 yds with a 7SAUM will knock the whole thing on its ass.

Last edited:
I use MGM target stands that are an H shape made with 1”x1” steel tubing and a 2”x4” square tubing section in the middle to put 2x4s in. You could probably weld a section in the middle for a T post

That's a good idea but what exactly do you mean by stubs
At the range I belong to they use 2” plastic gas line as stubs.The right size pvc will work also.Drill hole and slide 1 1/2’to 2’ stub in hole.Now u can remove post and leave and reuse stubs

Yep, you can also weld a #5 rebar to the bottom of a 2" sq tube or pipe to be able to just buy a 3/4 inch bit instead of a 2 1/4" bit

Looking for advice and ideas on some target stands. My local range is out in a lava flow so pounding tposts in the ground is not an option but we have access to a bunch of tposts and tpost hangers for targets. Do you all have any ideas of good target stands that will hold up a tpost so we can hang some targets. Looking for something that wouldn't be too expensive as we would like to eventually put out 10+ targets. Thanks in advance.
Is that Cedar Hills?

Drill baby drill! Be sure to allow for easy replacement of t-posts when not if they get shot up.

Nice work on the target stands, @Clayman . Yeah, cost of pipe and fittings would make a bit pricey to shoot at now, IMO.

Learn to weld. With a basic wire feed welder and an angle grinder (to cut pipe and welds as needed) you'll have a whole new range of options, with nearly zero added cost for a joint instead of pipe fittings. It doesn't even have to look pretty for a target stand; you can learn to weld well enough for that in an afternoon, easy.
Plenty of cheap welders on Craigslist or wherever.

we use this when targets stands were allowed to be placed at the range easy set up everything slides together and apart to put it away and super customizable to your wants and needs .
1636709567430.png

best of luck with what ever you use .

Learn to weld. With a basic wire feed welder and an angle grinder (to cut pipe and welds as needed) you'll have a whole new range of options, with nearly zero added cost for a joint instead of pipe fittings. It doesn't even have to look pretty for a target stand; you can learn to weld well enough for that in an afternoon, easy.
Plenty of cheap welders on Craigslist or wherever.
I do weld - albeit so-so. This is my take on steel stands. Old T posts, oil field pipe for caps, and a little rebar. It works.

Attachments

• 20211112_071644.jpg
    20211112_071644.jpg
    932.7 KB · Views: 61