• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision T14x thermal.... Too good to be true?

Surgeon_Shooter

Sure Shot Night Vision
Supporter
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
  • Mar 2, 2009
    Oklahoma
    Hey fellas I was looking around at thermal last night and stumbled across this. For the resolution,Hz and price it seems a little too good to be true... Also the fact that it can act as a monocular or a weapon mounted scope!

Here's a link, I'm calling them Monday to see what's up. Incase you can't find the price it's $3999.99!!

Thermal scope | SPI Infrared

Has anyone else heard of these people or this scope? I also see on their site that they have a clip on thermal too but I didn't see a price.

Jay

And a video recorder too!! Did you see the "reticle" or the more accurate description, giant plus sign? I'm thinking it's best to forget about this being something worth buying.

The L3 clip on model I'm interested in costs in the $24,000 area and has a human detection range of 2465m. It'll be forever before I get it (wife saw me writing this and said, "What do you mean the one you're interested in that costs $24,000!?). The ones intended for smaller caliber weapons and shorter ranges still cost half to more than half that. For L3 or FLIR models I've looked at anyway.

If I could find one that could handle high caliber recoil and had a long detection range, I'd be all over it. But you get what you pay for when it comes to stuff like this. I've used a lot of different thermal units in the past, and each one had limitations depending on how new or how big it was (no clip on though). $4000 and fits on rifle? Warning! Warning!

That's my opinion anyway. You have to save up for a good thermal sight.

Both of you said exactly what was on my mind. I was just hoping that maybe I would put this on here and everybody would say "yea that thing is the bomb" I figured it was a slim to none chance but worth a try. I want a flir t50 or 60 but I'm not sure that I'd rather have those over a pvs22... I know for a fact I could smack a hog or piece of steel at 700+ yards at night with a pvs 22 but for more money I couldn't with the flir t50 or 60. That kinda makes me not want it over the 22 or 27.

I wrote SPI about some T14x specs, since they didn't list them. I was promptly sent the following:

"This is a 160 amorphous thermal interpolated into 320x240 at 60HZ, real nice image at 17um. This unit should handle the .308 recoil. I also have a new scope coming
    out with 60 hz / 5x / 384x288 resolution at $5,980

Feel free to call or email me if you have any questions.

Thank you & Take care,

-Mike"

Since it didn't have the newest microbolometer and since the detector size was a small 160x120 Vs a larger size such as 320x240, I decided to pass. I've now ordered a Nivisys UTAC-32M after corresponding with Nivisys. The T14x sure includes some nice feature like using SD cards. I've found no negative reviews and only 1 positive review on the web.

Hmmm it's almost worth trying for that price. Some body buy one and tell me if its good!

Even 320x240 sucks when compared to 640x480.

Did you miss the whole point to the thread?

We are debating the possibility of a 3x 60hz optic at 3900 or even a 5x 60 Hz optic at 5900.

And you introduce the comment of a 12k + scope.

I can't stand the video informercial approach but I would give one a test run in the field to make a final judgement......

BB

King I'm pretty sure we all know that. Trust me I'd rather have 640x480 but I'm not gonna pay that much right now. If I'm gonna spend that much it will be on a pvs-22 or 27 first.

Benny bone, I've called em several times the last couple days but can't get a answer. I'd like to buy it and try it out if they will agree to take it back if I don't like it. That would be nice.

LOL - tell them the only thing missing from their infomericial was the 30 day money back / satisfaction guarantee!

BB

No - I mention it because of the whole Gen I, Gen II, Gen III style problems with thermals.

The 320x240 thermal is barely adequate. This is a 160x120 thermal unit. Yes - its cheap. Yes - its inexpensive too. The 5x optic appears to be slightly above 320, if so it's likely to be a decent deal.

Did you miss the whole point to the thread?

We are debating the possibility of a 3x 60hz optic at 3900 or even a 5x 60 Hz optic at 5900.

And you introduce the comment of a 12k + scope.

I can't stand the video informercial approach but I would give one a test run in the field to make a final judgement......

BB

you get what you pay for, but its definitely worth entertaining. I would love to see some comparisons. I was going to buy a thermal scope and decided to try a ps22 first and I wasn't impressed. A lot of people love them, but I couldn't see shit with it. Don't get me wrong, I could see, but not enough detail to "detect" anything like I was hoping for, which is why I love thermal. perhaps I just got a bad ps22.

Can you share the price?

$7075.00 delivered from their Mississippi dealer (Security Solutions and Communications Inc, Starkville, Ms). Contact Nivisys and let them know what state you live in, and they will give the contact info for the nearest dealership to you. The price of the 32L was $9295.00. 32L would have better range with the 60mm objective lens (for sure one can detect hogs at 550yd, as I was sent a photo of same), but I couldn't afford it, wanted a smaller unit anyway, and my use will be 200yd max anyway. I had to send a signed ITAR agreement and driver's license copy (have to see if I'm on any terrorist lists before shipping and that I live in the U.S.). It'll be about a month before I receive my unit. I like that it can be used as clip-on, stand alone, handheld and that aligning it for use as clip-on doesn't change the sight settings when zeroed as a stand alone (they are separate settings, having no effect on each other). I intend to post a review once I receive it.

Interesting thread, I did a search for reviews on UTAC-32M and came across this. I was in Vegas 2 weeks ago and decided to go check out the spi 3999 scope in real time, i had to see it for myself, if this helps i looked through the scope and thought for a 160 res sight the image was very impressive, im taking shots at 300-400 yards and thought that this one didnt quite get er done, for 200 yards or less its a great deal, i also saw the other t14 scope with the big lens in front which was very impressive in resolution and range, problem is thats its not ready till the end of july. I ended up buying the nivisys UTAC-32M from spi which is a great clip on for me, they call it the x28 and i bought it for $6500 because it was in stock. This is a real good scope for ppl looking for a good clip on thermal, i use it with my trij 4x32. Ill be posting reviews on it after next weekend but for now, im happy with it. For ppl considering the UTAC-32L one - I also saw it and it was nice, but i didn't feel that for the extra money it was worth it.

Whiskey that is some very helpful info! Thanks for sharing.

I sure wish I could look through one for myself!

SPI T14X - I own one!

Hi all,

I am new to the forum but just noticed this thread and wanted to chime in here. Yes, despite the infomercial which was pretty funny, I got to know the guys at SPI pretty well - Jim over there is an absolute expert on this subject and was able to answer all my questions about the device before I decided to buy. This is NOT an endorsement but rather my personal experiences with SPI and this particular sight that is being discussed in this thread.

I wanted to dispel some things right away.

1. If you have any doubt as to the validity of the company or if you feel "sketchy" about sending this company 3900 bucks, I can say that I am a police officer and I was too -- it's a lot of money (especially from my payroll perspective) but I was amazingly pleased with their professionalism and I did check them out with a fellow officer in Nevada. They are 100% legit and checked out.

2. I was concerned about the rifle mount being able to take the recoil of my 5.56 and I was real glad to see the quality mount they use on the device. It was easy to attach and locks on perfectly. Very much MIL-SPEC.

3. The image was good - much better than the NVG option I as considering with all the thermal advantages. I liked the fact that it could be used as a hand-held viewer too. Comes in handy when off the weapon for spotting crooks hiding when they run from me. Since I was "new" to thermal imaging I was a total N00B and did not know you could not see through glass so that was awkward to have to call and think it was broken... Jim and I had a good laugh about that.

4. Price point. 3900 bucks is a lot of dough for anyone but this is also NOT a 10,000 scope either so you get what you pay for and then some. Not many entry level FLIR scopes can record video, take photos and are mil-spec. It is a little bulky but gets the job done for sure. They toss in TONS of stuff that you would be paying through the nose for like the cables, extra batteries, charger, soft and hard cases, etc. and the hard case is real tough. I like it. I keep my thermal and my digital camera in there.

5. Reliability. The device has been in use now for about a month and while it does eat batteries a little bit, the extra set they give makes this a moot issue. The device will auto-calibrate sometimes when looking through it which pauses the image but this happens very rarely - usually on boot. I've never had a failure and it functions perfectly every time.

6. Use. If you can look through a scope you can use this thing. The only pain the A** is zeroing the device but I read where this is a pain with virtually every thermal sight. I used frozen water bottles and hand warmers to get the job done. Using the buttons on top were a little cumbersome at first but after a few zero adjustments, I was old hack at it. Snapping photos, recording video etc. is very easy as is swapping hot-white/black and switching reticles, etc. There are a TON of thermal views but I lean towards the standards black and white imaging. Auto tracking is cool but I just don't use it because I don't need it.

7. Support. The guys over at SPI are just awesome from Sales, billing to shipping! I keep in contact with them and plan to attend the shot show if I can get the time off and visit with them. They even timed shipping for when I would be off duty and home, now how convenient is that?

Overall, for my first FLIR device, I love this thing it's just awesome and for the price, I don't feel like I have an inferior product, in fact -- others are envious of it! Not everyone has a thermal sight on their rifle!

Personal note--- when the SHTF, this is MINE MINE MINE and I don't share so you can imagine who's rifle it will be on!

Dave Evans

Thanks Dave for the info! Could you possibly post some pics or video of some that you have taken with yours? That would be great!

Yea I've saw those pics but I want to see real pics. Taken by someone who actually uses the scope not somebody trying to sell it. Know what I mean? I'd love to see em! I don't even know if those are really from this scope, they could be from something else.

That is some amazing detail on that brochure! My ps-32 is nothing at all like that, but for $1000 more retail, I'd be bummed to not get the SPI if those are indeed pics straight out of the unit. I also can't find anywhere what resolution it's using. 30hz is way better than the 9hz that I have to work with. If dude is using his 1-4 scope on 4x than its got to be at least 640, but for 4k, I'd guess its 160 which no way in hell could produce said images on that brochure, and at 4x would be pretty much useless.

Investigating this scope first hand is a good excuse to go to Vegas. With the wife being prego, Surgeon_Shooter needs to take one for the team on this one!

Last edited:
    photos and such

Thanks Dave for the info! Could you possibly post some pics or video of some that you have taken with yours? That would be great!

Hi guys,

Absolutely.. I'm traveling until Friday night so i will post up some pics and stuff this weekend. i think you will like it.

Dave

Please include some 300-1,000 yd pictures. I'd like to see how that intercalated 160x120 resolution holds up at such distances. A "virtual 320x240" can look great at CQB distances, but what does distance do? Maybe some pictures of the different reticles too? Thank you.

3900 for a thermal scope is good pricing even for 160x120 imager. Heck 90% of my shooting is 100 yards or less I may pick one of these up for myself I already own a flir ps32 and LS64 viewer. Several videos on YouTube of the T14X scope also they look pretty decent.

Last edited:
    3900 for a thermal scope is good pricing even for 160x120 imager. Heck 90% of my shooting is 100 yards or less I may pick one of these up for myself I already own a flir ps32 and LS64 viewer. Several videos on YouTube of the T14X scope also they look pretty decent.

Hi guys --

Yes, I'm pretty much within 100 yards myself so long distance was not what this was intended for but beyond 200-300 yards, I would not probably rely on this unit. Accuracy and zeroing is probably not going to be what you are looking for. This type of expectation could be found in higher end devices. BUT! For 150 yards and under... no brainer.

Im also going to post photos next.

Dave ///

T14X with photos.

Hi guys,

As promised, here are some photos of the T14 mounted on one of my rifles. I normally use it on another but I left that rifle in my patrol car so I just put it on this one with the Slide Fire Stock... :)

IMG_0569.jpgIMG_0570.jpgIMG_0571.jpgIMG_0572.jpgIMG_0573.jpg

I also have some "basic" image captures. These were when I was first goofing around with it. I also have a short video but it's raw data is .avi so it's over 28MB so I need to figure out how to reduce this size. I did get the guys from SPI to ship me their kick butt DVR and LCD display so I will post up photos of that when it comes in. The recorded video is MUCH better because the T14X tries to compress recorded video to AVI when it records and the DVR I think records MPEG format and is a heck of a lot clearer. This is how I would recommend recording the video out of the T14.

Was going to post photos of the capture but the forum does not allow .BMP (the native capture) so I will get those converted to .JPG and uploaded probably by the end of the weekend.

Take care ..

Dave Evans ///

Thanks for the pictures If you can figure out the video upload I would love to see some footage. One of these scopes would be great to have for hog control around these parts. We have been hunting a large remote ranch river bottom the past couple months and on a no moon night with the normal fog settling into the low areas after dark my d-740 pinnacle is useless. I can see the hogs clearly running around through the fog with my LS64 thermal mono the fog just kills my NV gear.

Go to You tube and type in...T14X thermal scope. There are a lot of vid's on the scope.

Doc Les

Tagging for info on other units mentioned here

I myself am really interested in the x28 / Nivisys device. I'm wondering how nice the 320 sensor is, and how it compares to the 640 sensor.

I've got a PAS-29, but I could also use something compact and weapons mountable.

For another Grand you can get into a Thor 320x240, I had one and it was a good scope for that 300-500 yard stuff.
    I upgraded to a 640x480 5 Power, it is your 600-1000+ scope. I didn't even have to zoom out for dog sized animals at 600+ yards.
    Doing at again I would get the 640x480 in 2.5 power so I could focus a bit closer than the 5 power.

I think the price point on the T-14X is the biggest selling point. I was told around $3800 and you own it. With the THOR 320x240 30hz 1X lens $4900 was the best price offered to me so far. I read the T14X also comes with a 2.5X to 3X or 9 degree FOV optical lens. Compared to 320x240 1X optical lens that may even things out some at longer range even with the T14X only having a 160x120 imager. I know the 30mm optical lens on my LS64 is a big improvement over the 19mm lens on my PS32. I would like tobuy a THOR 2X 30mm model but that gets up there well over 5K so think I may buy a T14X myself later this summer/early fall to play around with as I havent ever had my own thermal weapon scope just viewers and NV scopes.

I think the price point on the T-14X is the biggest selling point. I was told around $3800 and you own it. With the THOR 320x240 30hz 1X lens $4900 was the best price offered to me so far. I read the T14X also comes with a 2.5X to 3X or 9 degree FOV optical lens. Compared to 320x240 1X optical lens that may even things out some at longer range even with the T14X only having a 160x120 imager. I know the 30mm optical lens on my LS64 is a big improvement over the 19mm lens on my PS32. I would like tobuy a THOR 2X 30mm model but that gets up there well over 5K so think I may buy a T14X myself later this summer/early fall to play around with as I havent ever had my own thermal weapon scope just viewers and NV scopes.

Save for the THOR 2x. It offers 2x and 4x digital zoom which you can use to shoot on. Even @ 4x, the image is still crisp enough to hit what you are aiming @.

"Save for the Thor 2X"

Hooper my wife says no since I bought a new hand picked mil-spec pinnacle "ultra spec" tube and a mil-spec twin 10160C's pinnacle dual BNVS and LS64 already this year :) I may still buy a Thor 1X what she doesn't know will not hurt her as they say lol

I want to hear from others that own a T14x.
    I called SPI and talked to Jim. He was very informative. Apparantly they are a retail seller and repair company for many major brands. They also refurb and sell used units. He told me that if I ordered one and for any reason did not like it, then I could send it back (I assume it would need to appear new if returned).
    If anyone owns one of these in the Memphis area I would like to check it out.

Last edited:
    Whiskey that is some very helpful info! Thanks for sharing.

I sure wish I could look through one for myself!

Check with Security Solutions in Starkville, MS. They carry the Nivisys line of thermals AND they do demos. They'll take you out at night and let you try them out.

Noticed that you are from Louisiana. If you're an LSU football fan, LSU plays MSU in Starkville on October 5. So there's a good excuse to get up to Starkville.

I want to hear from others that own a T14x.
    I called SPI and talked to Jim. He was very informative. Apparantly they are a retail seller and repair company for many major brands. They also refurb and sell used units. He told me that if I ordered one and for any reason did not like it, then I could send it back (I assume it would need to appear new if returned).
    If anyone owns one of these in the Memphis area I would like to check it out.

Coletta, if you're in the Memphis area then you are only 2 hours from Starkville and Security Solutions with the Nivisys line. Might be worth a phone call or the drive down.

I e-mailed Night Optics on this and asked, "I see that this product is listed as having three reticle choices. Does it have a mounting system that allows it to be attached to a picatinny/ 1913 rail? If so, what type of mount? If so, what recoil rating does the unit have?"

Their Director of Marketing replied the following, "The reticles are stationary and can't be zero'd to a weapon. You can install a mount into it as it has a 1/4 20 screw hole, but it isn't really made for weapons. Its shock proof to 1 meter dropped. Not sure what that translates to in recoil. "

I guess that kind of begs the question, "well, then why the hell does it have reticle options?"

T14x Thermal Scope from SPI

Input from a Retired Navy SEAL Sniper Instructor
    I don't own one, but I did a T&E on one over the past month. I was honestly impressed with the T14x for the price they are selling these for. If you're looking for a $24,000...this is not one. This scope excels in what it's meant for, an entry level thermal scope with "plug-n-play" usability.

I tried all the features and they all work as advertised. The one thing I didn't use too much was the video capture since I don't have much use for that feature in combat.

I agree with some later posts that the info-merical video is a little over the top, but I think they're making fun of themselves a bit anyway.

Hope this helps. Shoot me any questions and check out my new book: How to Shoot Like a Navy SEAL
    Hooyah!
    -Chris

Im in Vegas, I guess I should go check these out in person. Kind of weird as it does look just like the Night Optics?

Their demo video shows that the reticle can be adjusted and gives a X and X degree... It shows it has a arms mount so that means you can put a LaRue mount on it...

HEY DEVANS, can you post up actual pic and vid captures from the unit?????

HERE IS A T14X VIDEO OUT SAVED FROM COMPRESSED SD CARD ( 120 YARDS ) LOOKS MANY TIMES BETTER THROUGH SCOPE, THIS VIDEO IS COMPRESSED TO SAVE SPACE..

Looks a bit blurry but the zoom completely sucks. Looks very pixelated....