• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

T3 Sporter

scsbronco

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 15, 2010
Michigan
I'm considering the Sporter in 260rem. I sold to many rifle in the last few weeks and need a new fix.

1. Are the mags long enough to use high bc bullets when reloading?
2. Should I consider the 6.5x55 instead?
3. Does any one have one ?
4. Any pit-falls?
5. Who makes a Pic rail with 20 moa?

Last edited:
I'm considering the Sporter in 260rem. I sold to many rifle in the last few weeks and need a new fix.

1. Are the mags long enough to use high bc bullets when reloading?
2. Should I consider the 6.5x55 instead?
3. Does any one have one ?
4. Any pit-falls

I have one in 6.5x55. Unfortunately, I haven't got to shoot it, yet. It's a work in progress. I can't answer about the mag length/long bullets in the .260. But, the drawbacks of the 6.5x55 are that it's a long action caliber and that kind of limits you on what you can do to upgrade it (Nobody makes a chassis for T3s in long action calibers and there's only one DBM available for them). I like the way the stock fit me. However, the access to the magazines and the mag release is kind of a pain, as you have to reach up into the stock to change mags. I ended up selling my stock and am going with a McMillan A-5 and CDI DBM and AI mags, instead.

If you ran into issues with the length of the magazine in the .260, it would be easy to modify/switch the bolt stop and just use T3 mags for long action calibers, as the action, itself, is universal. That way, you would have all the room you could ever need.

My .02

I appreciate the reply.

Why did you go with the 6.5x55 if you don't mind me asking?
I already had dies and brass in that caliber, but the selling point was that I could get just a little more velocity out of this caliber in a modern loading, than the .260 Rem. In hindsight, I may have done things a little differently if I had known what I was going to run into and the cost involved. But, I don't regret it, either. I'm still getting what I want out of it and an education, to boot. :rolleyes:

I'm leaning hard on the 260. If they offered a fast twist 243 it would be bought already.

I really debated on it, too. I was lucky enough that a local shop was one of the few in the country that got them in and they had all the available calibers and barrel lengths, so I could give them all a good look. At the time, I thought that if I was going to go with a .260, I probably would have got a Savage 12 LRP, to save a few bucks. But, the Tikkas action is better, no doubt. If you go with the Tikka in .260, you have a lot more options open to you than if you go with 6.5x55. It just depends on what you want the rifle to end up as, in the end. If leaving it bone stock, I would use the 6.5x55. But, if I were using it as a base for a project, I would probably go .260. That's just me, though.

I have one in .260 Rem and it shoots great! I got .30-06 mags for it and replaced the bolt stop so I can load the rounds as long as I want, all the way to lands and still lots of extra mag room. Still feeds flawlessly!

I got my scope rail from Tikka Shooters.com, works great!

I have one in 6.5x55. Unfortunately, I haven't got to shoot it, yet. It's a work in progress. I can't answer about the mag length/long bullets in the .260. But, the drawbacks of the 6.5x55 are that it's a long action caliber and that kind of limits you on what you can do to upgrade it (Nobody makes a chassis for T3s in long action calibers and there's only one DBM available for them).

i thought Tikkas used the same sized action for all calibers? I have never had a chance to measure them but if you do a web search there are tons of hits saying the actions are the same length.

i thought Tikkas used the same sized action for all calibers? I have never had a chance to measure them but if you do a web search there are tons of hits saying the actions are the same length.
Yes, they do. However, if you're going to switch stocks and want to use a different magazine (like AI, for example), you have to use a long action magazine. Nobody makes a stock/chassis that is designed for these. The only exception is the newly offered DBM from CDI for long action AI mags. For example, I really wanted a KRG W3 chassis, but they're for short action, only.

Wow, what a timely thread. I've been thinking of buying one in 6.5x55. I wish there were 10 round mags that fit the stock gun.

I just sent Reodale a message. I like the AI chassis they offer.
Reodale makes some good stuff, but you may want to do some searcing for reveiws on him actually getting stuff to you. I don't like propegating negativity, but I have just seen too many horror stories on this, and a couple other forums from guys quoted a couple months and waiting many times as long and still empty handed.

Reodale makes some good stuff, but you may want to do some searcing for reveiws on him actually getting stuff to you. I don't like propegating negativity, but I have just seen too many horror stories on this, and a couple other forums from guys quoted a couple months and waiting many times as long and still empty handed.

That's not negative if its the truth. Nobody wants to get jacked around. I'm glad you said something!!

I agree on the wiskey chassis if its available. Its a nice chassis and I have shot a TRG in one before. I think they even make your tikka accept AI mags.

I have a T3 Sporter in .260. It's kind of a laser. No bedding necessary. Developed a load w/Lapua brass and Amax 140's. .5 shooter if you do your part. Super smooth action. Very inexpensive really compared to a custom gun. Wood stock is quite nice, however not much tacticool. I dropped a rail on the bottom and use an Atlas. Hope that helps.

I just got my .260 sporter and I love it. I've owned an AIAW and two TRG's... this thing shoots as well as both and costs $1,500. I simply painted the funky stock camo. Only issue I have is the longest OAL i can run is 2.800". Once I upgrade to CDI DBM this rifle has no rival in terms of cost / performance.

Also.. the stock is the most comfortable i've ever been behind. the grip is a little fatter then the TRG and I prefer it.

I just got my .260 sporter and I love it. I've owned an AIAW and two TRG's... this thing shoots as well as both and costs $1,500. I simply painted the funky stock camo. Only issue I have is the longest OAL i can run is 2.800". Once I upgrade to CDI DBM this rifle has no rival in terms of cost / performance.

Also.. the stock is the most comfortable i've ever been behind. the grip is a little fatter then the TRG and I prefer it.

I really appreciate you sharing how much you like the T3 Sporter. I intend on picking one up in March. Where did you get it from? Euro Optic?

Also, you know all this stuff about the stock,...... It IS a little "Danish Modern", but it IS an excellent stock. It's light, adjustable, versatile, and adaptive. I have SO much tactical gear, this stock is kind of refreshing. It's a sporter. Bench, prone, or kneeling. I'm probably shedding man points as I write, but the stock is pretty cool.

The stock has an inlet rail on the bottom. You may buy a picatinny rail adapter to mount anything you like. I put on an Atlas. EuroOptic carries most of that stuff.

Good deal. I was wondering if your adapted used the factory rail or you mounted it directly to the stock

I am also interested in anyone has used CDI bottom metal. I dont think the existing setup will work as this gun is quite a bit different and takes its own magazine

I am also interested in anyone has used CDI bottom metal. I dont think the existing setup will work as this gun is quite a bit different and takes its own magazine
The Sporter takes the same magazine and has the same bottom "metal" as all other T3s.
ETA: I don't know if the CDI DBM is a "drop in" on the standard Tikka inlet, or not. If it is, it should work fine on the Sporter.

Last edited:
The Sporter takes the same magazine and has the same bottom "metal" as all other T3s.
ETA: I don't know if the CDI DBM is a "drop in" on the standard Tikka inlet, or not. If it is, it should work fine on the Sporter.

That is not correct according to Euro Optics. They said it takes its own magazine which is why I was interested if anyone was using AICS pattern mags.

I thought a T3 Sporter with a CDI mag kit running AICS mags would be bitchin', so I contacted them...

My e-mail to CDI: Will your kit fit/function on a T3 Sporter? I'm concerned with the stock getting in the way.

CDI's answer: Hi, yes that stock would be a bit of a problem, we normally set them up with the factory plastic stocks and they fit flush. We may be able to inlet it but it will be recessed a lot.. thanks

That is not correct according to Euro Optics. They said it takes its own magazine which is why I was interested if anyone was using AICS pattern mags.
Well, I have the rifle and own/have time with a half dozen other Tikkas. I can assure you that it's the same magazine.

I thought a T3 Sporter with a CDI mag kit running AICS mags would be bitchin', so I contacted them...

My e-mail to CDI: Will your kit fit/function on a T3 Sporter? I'm concerned with the stock getting in the way.

CDI's answer: Hi, yes that stock would be a bit of a problem, we normally set them up with the factory plastic stocks and they fit flush. We may be able to inlet it but it will be recessed a lot.. thanks
Given the location of the mag release (front of trigger guard) on the CDI DBM, in combination with the longer AI mags, I still think that access to the magazine would be better with the CDI setup than using the stock mags/bottom metal (where the mag latch is at the front and tucked up into the bottom metal). Just my opinion, though and I would certainly defer to Jeff on what/how it would need to be inletted.

Alright someone send their Sporter off to CDI and have them inlet and install BM and then post pics here. Hurry up.

I've been eyeballing a Sporter for the wife since they came out. Have they lived up to you guys's expectation of accuracy?

I called Beretta USA, the Sporter is the only .260 Tikka that they import. I still think its cheaper to get a .243/.308, have it rebarrelled and dropped into a chasis than get the sporter and restock it.

500 for a donor rifle, 300 for a barrel, another250-300 for smithing, and 750-1250 for stock. Basically1850-2350 depending on the chassis used, the sporter is 1400. Granted u would end up with ai mag and potentially more accurate rig, but if a sporter can do 1/2 moa any more accuracy is only needed for br or bragging rights.

Where in the hell can I find the damn extension screws to use additional butt spacers? 4.5x45 is what the stock ones are if I read correctly, I need longer, home depot, menards, ace... I can't find these damn things.

If anyone has the answer for me, I'd sure appreciate it.

500 for a donor rifle, 300 for a barrel, another250-300 for smithing, and 750-1250 for stock. Basically1850-2350 depending on the chassis used, the sporter is 1400. Granted u would end up with ai mag and potentially more accurate rig, but if a sporter can do 1/2 moa any more accuracy is only needed for br or bragging rights.

Yeah, the T3 Sporter is far from perfect, but it's a good bang for the buck. I only wish the CDI AI mag kit would work with it...

Where in the hell can I find the damn extension screws to use additional butt spacers? 4.5x45 is what the stock ones are if I read correctly, I need longer, home depot, menards, ace... I can't find these damn things.

Wish I had the answer. Might want to try posting on the Tikka Shooters Forums: http://www.tikkashooters.com/public_html/index.php

I talked to Jeff@cdi the other day about the sporter stock and his bottom metal. He said the AI mag by itself is as wide as the tikka bottom metal if that gives any idea on how much stock must be opened up. The inlet needs to be bigger and deeper, plus the rectangular hole going up through the stock needs to be opened up more. I don't have a sporter yet, but since the factory dbm is recessed, by the time it is inletted for cdi the sides of the stock might be kinda thin. Laminate can start to seperate if it gets too thin, or if it gets banged around a chunk might break off. When i get mine i am first going to check oal and see how tricky it is to change mags, if not bad probably get some long action mags and modify the bolt release.

I found them at Menard's. I still have the bag they came in. It says "Part # 81667 5mm x 30mm Metric Socket Head Cap Screw". They are an exact match to the stock screw, only longer and these fit perfect when using all the spacers that come with the rifle.