• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

T3x .300 wsm -> 6.5 PRC and using the factory stock and magazine (updated -> Chassis?)

drew_235

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
May 22, 2019
Minnesota
If I want to build a 6.5 PRC hunting rifle from a T3x action, it appears that the best route is to get something in the .300 wsm family (.535" bolt face) and replace the barrel with whatever 6.5 PRC barrel tickles my fancy (I might go all out and get a CarbonSix or Proof carbon barrel). Even with the Proof carbon barrel, this puts the price of the setup ~$1600 if I get the stainless T3x Lite. If I keep it in the original plastic stock, using the plastic magazine that comes with it, will I be prohibitively limited with COAL of 6.5 PRC loads? Yes, I reload.
From my research, the COAL of the .300 wsm magazine from Tikka is 2.950". I have other T3x rifles in .223, .22-250 and 6.5 Creedmoor and their magazines appear to all be the same footprint but with a different rear spacer. If I wanted/needed to increase my COAL, would it be as simple as purchasing a .300 WM magazine with a COAL of 3.340"? Do I also need to modify the bolt stop to accommodate the WM length vs the wsm?

Also, I realize I just postulated putting together a Tikka action with a $900+ barrel and keeping the OEM stock. It weighs less than 2 pounds and, in my experience, is totally serviceable for a hunting rifle. My other Tikkas are in KRG Bravo stocks, but they are more than a pound heavier, plus the AICS magazine, etc.

Just pick up a T3X in 7mm Rem Mag or 300 win mag and rebarrel to 6.5 PRC. Ends the COAL magazine length problem.
Agreed. I realized this very thing the day after I posted my original question, and it just makes everything easier - no adjustment to the bolt stop, you get the magazine you need, etc.

3870E7C6-77ED-4579-B388-1C5E224A7A6F.jpeg

Built this one earlier this year. T3X Lite Stainless 300WM donor, Proof prefit 6.5PRC 24”, AG Composites stock, Anarchy bolt knob/handle

I believe they only do the prefits in Proof Sendero contour (at least when I bought mine the Light Sendero wasn't available).

Yes, Mark 5 3.6-18 H59.

Just pick up a T3X in 7mm Rem Mag or 300 win mag and rebarrel to 6.5 PRC. Ends the COAL magazine length problem.
So if I wanted to use factory Hornady ammo that’s all you have to do? Get a long action magnum, rebarrel, and the factory mags will feed 6.5 PRC without issues?

So if I wanted to use factory Hornady ammo that’s all you have to do? Get a long action magnum, rebarrel, and the factory mags will feed 6.5 PRC without issues?
Yes that's it....
Been using factory plastic for 2 years now.
3 in the mag and 1 chambered.

IMG_0391a.jpg

Reactions: kabarNC
And extra room if I ever wanted to get someone to work up some loads for it. I’ll be damned. May have to do that

And extra room if I ever wanted to get someone to work up some loads for it. I’ll be damned. May have to do that
I've also got a Mountain Tactical LA billet mag that works great also and if I ever want to build a Short Mag it works with them also.
From what I've seen the factory LA will not take a 300WSM without trying to butcher it in due to wider case and if you use the 300WSM mag you lose the length because of the spacer block.

Yeah, barrel swap was all I did to the 300WM and it works like a champ.

I'm going to revive this thread and change the premise just a bit - scrapping the factory stock and going with an aftermarket stock or chassis system.
Let's say the XLR Element or MDT LSS gen 2. Both of these come with the option of long action or short action. The WM is long, the WSM is short, the PRC kind of bridges this gap. The MDT website lists the magazine for 6.5 PRC under the .300 WSM group with a maximum COAL of 2.995", which we are trying to get beyond by using the .300 WM magazine. So it would appear that the answer to my question is to go with the long action chassis and matching long action AICS magazines. Am I thinking about this the correct way?
Does anybody have any feedback on the best AICS pattern magazine for a 6.5 PRC?

I'm going to revive this thread and change the premise just a bit - scrapping the factory stock and going with an aftermarket stock or chassis system.
Let's say the XLR Element or MDT LSS gen 2. Both of these come with the option of long action or short action. The WM is long, the WSM is short, the PRC kind of bridges this gap. The MDT website lists the magazine for 6.5 PRC under the .300 WSM group with a maximum COAL of 2.995", which we are trying to get beyond by using the .300 WM magazine. So it would appear that the answer to my question is to go with the long action chassis and matching long action AICS magazines. Am I thinking about this the correct way?
Does anybody have any feedback on the best AICS pattern magazine for a 6.5 PRC?
This is for the MDT....
Your COAL is listed wrong it should be 2.955 on the WSM which is listed without the binder plate.

They list the .308 without the binder plate 2.960 which is what I use on my LSS XL gen 2 short action I bought for 6.5 CM and there is no wiggle room at all when I switch over to my 6.5 PRC barreled action but the .308 mag works fine with the PRC and no adjustment to the feed lips for me.

If your wanting to get out longer you'll need to go long action which is listed 3.56 mag length for their Tikka actions with a COAL of 3.47

This is what the .308 without the binder looks like with the Hornady PRC 147 ELDM loaded.
IMG_0289.JPG

IMG_0290.JPG

Reactions: drew_235
Oops, good catch spotting my error of 2.995 vs 2.955,
Thank you, your answer perfectly answers my questions with pictures and hard data.
Any thoughts on why the .308 mag without a binder plate has a max COAL of 2.960" and the .300 WSM mag has a max COAL of 2.955"?

Oops, good catch spotting my error of 2.995 vs 2.955,
Thank you, your answer perfectly answers my questions with pictures and hard data.
Any thoughts on why the .308 mag without a binder plate has a max COAL of 2.960" and the .300 WSM mag has a max COAL of 2.955"?
I have no idea....
Maybe @MDT_Josh can tell us more specific info on the differences.

I have no idea....
Maybe @MDT_Josh can tell us more specific info on the differences.

Good question and it's just a continuity error on the website, which we will fix :)

Side note; the 6.5 PRC is really more of a medium/intermediate length caliber (like the 6.5-284 or 6.5x55) and JUST fits in a SA magazine. Our 300 WSM/6.5 PRC magazines typically fit 8 rounds of the factory Hornady 147's and feed well from my testing. Now, if you want to run a long bullet (like the new Berger 156 EOL's) and load out long to maximize your powder capacity, then I'd suggest that you look at our Tikka LA chassis that use our 3.560" Magazines, which will maximize your performance :)

Hope this helps,
Josh

Ps; we're also doing something **VERY** cool for LR hunters soon, so keep an eye out on our FB/IG/Youtube etc.

Good question and it's just a continuity error on the website, which we will fix :)

Side note; the 6.5 PRC is really more of a medium/intermediate length caliber (like the 6.5-284 or 6.5x55) and JUST fits in a SA magazine. Our 300 WSM/6.5 PRC magazines typically fit 8 rounds of the factory Hornady 147's and feed well from my testing. Now, if you want to run a long bullet (like the new Berger 156 EOL's) and load out long to maximize your powder capacity, then I'd suggest that you look at our Tikka LA chassis that use our 3.560" Magazines, which will maximize your performance :)

Hope this helps,
Josh

Ps; we're also doing something **VERY** cool for LR hunters soon, so keep an eye out on our FB/IG/Youtube etc.
Thank you for the reply and clarification. I absolutely love the vendor support and engagement we get on this site.
And therein lies the dilemma - get a short action chassis that can be used with all of my other short action rifles or get a dedicated long action and "do it right" with the Berger 156 EOLs. Choices, choices, choices.

Thank you for the reply and clarification. I absolutely love the vendor support and engagement we get on this site.
And therein lies the dilemma - get a short action chassis that can be used with all of my other short action rifles or get a dedicated long action and "do it right" with the Berger 156 EOLs. Choices, choices, choices.

You're welcome and we're all shooters too, so it's a mutually beneficial partnership for us to be on here ;)

Lots of good options with the 6.5PRC, and if you're only ever going to run factory ammo, then I'd stick with the SA, but if you want to see what you can do with it and tinker with different bullets, powders, load lengths, reamers, etc. then the medium/LA chassis and mags make a lot more sense.

Just my thoughts, so take them for what they're worth haha!
Josh

Hope this helps,
Josh

Josh I just saw this and was wondering if you could elaborate on this long range hunting item yet? I am looking in to just such a thing for a tikka. Thanks

Reactions: MDT_Josh
At least where I am at, I have seen a couple of used Tikka's in 270wsm pop up for good prices, I have been thinking about the same thing you are doing. You may want to look for one for a donor.

At least where I am at, I have seen a couple of used Tikka's in 270wsm pop up for good prices, I have been thinking about the same thing you are doing. You may want to look for one for a donor.
I ended up finding a .300 wsm in stainless at a great price that I am using as a donor. It should be at my ffl tomorrow for pickup.
I'll post pictures when I get it all done.

Not just yet, but there will be media up pretty soon around it. At launch, we'll have an option for Tikka SA RH actions :)

Josh
How about short action cartridges using longer than short action bullets? ie- non sammi spec coal? Would this turn in to a single feed situation with the upcoming debut?

Not just yet, but there will be media up pretty soon around it. At launch, we'll have an option for Tikka SA RH actions :)

Josh

I'm betting a lightweight chassis system, possibly made from magnesium, to compete with the magnesium XLR Element in light weight, long range hunting. But that is just a wild ass guess.

How about short action cartridges using longer than short action bullets? ie- non sammi spec coal? Would this turn in to a single feed situation with the upcoming debut?

I'm betting a lightweight chassis system, possibly made from magnesium, to compete with the magnesium XLR Element in light weight, long range hunting. But that is just a wild ass guess.

More details coming soon! We will have options for you guys though and it's gonna be AWESOME.

Josh

Reactions: Raffy and drew_235
You're welcome and we're all shooters too, so it's a mutually beneficial partnership for us to be on here ;)

Lots of good options with the 6.5PRC, and if you're only ever going to run factory ammo, then I'd stick with the SA, but if you want to see what you can do with it and tinker with different bullets, powders, load lengths, reamers, etc. then the medium/LA chassis and mags make a lot more sense.

Just my thoughts, so take them for what they're worth haha!
Josh
@MDT_Josh - What difference is there between the metal .308 5 (or 10) round mags without binder plates and the 6.5 PRC 7 round mag without a binder plate that makes the PRC version more expensive? Are the feed lips at a different angle? Lower production rate?
Also, are you ever going to break the news that you hinted to regarding the long range hunting item?

@MDT_Josh - What difference is there between the metal .308 5 (or 10) round mags without binder plates and the 6.5 PRC 7 round mag without a binder plate that makes the PRC version more expensive? Are the feed lips at a different angle? Lower production rate?
Also, are you ever going to break the news that you hinted to regarding the long range hunting item?

Good questions! You kinda nailed it with your guesses on the PRC/WSM magazines as the only difference between them and the 5/10/12 round .308/6.5CM magazines is that they have different feedlip geometry. In order to achieve this, we needed to add an additional sizing step to the process, increase handling and changeover, modify our QC/QA process for them and manually tweak the feedlip where necessary before sending them out. That is why they cost a little more, on top of the fact that they are much smaller runs than our 10/12 round metal mags.

As for the new product, I am still not able to talk about it and it is still going through design. I think we'll have news on that product (and many more) for SHOT 2021 :D

Josh