• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

TAB Gear Biathlon Sling

Andrew Blubaugh

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 4, 2003
Ohio
A few weeks ago I spoke to Tony Burkes at TAB Gear and he told me about a biathlon style sling TAB Gear was going to introduce in the near future. I listened to Tony talk about the sling but half way through the conversation I began telling myself it sounded like a lame idea and Tony was wasting his time. Fast forward to Shot Show 2010 day 1... Tony hands me a Manners stock with one of his prototype biathlon slings and I instantly knew I was wrong and he was on to something.

If you don't already know, a biathlon is typically sporting event consisting of contestants cross country skiing from point to point and engaging targets with a rifle they carry on their back. The rifle is typically carried with a sling system similar to that of a back pack. Doesn't sound like a tactical application exists but there is. Think big bore: 300wm, 338, 408, 50 etc... Not easy to sling and carry carbine or climb a ladder or scramble over debris or down a steep slope. Now introduce a sling that allows the shooter to keep the weight of the rifle near the center line of the back and the weight evenly distributed between both shoulders. This makes operating a carbine or negotiating obstacles ten times easier. Now the benefits of the biathlon sling with the larger bore weapons is great but the TAB Gear biathlon sling goes one step further. It incorporates the same loop sling abilities as the TAB Gear Sling and Elite Sling. I don't expect to loop sling a 408 or 50 but 300wm and most 338 it is feasible.

While at Shot several Civi, Mil and LE shooters commented on the versatility of this sling. Each time I played with it I knew I needed it for my AW 300WM and by the end of Shot I talked Tony out of one of them to T&E.

Now for the last week I have dry practiced with the sling for several hours and finally today took it out for a field/range day. First off the construction is solid. TAB Gear would be better off detailing the specs but from my observation it is all heavy duty nylon webbing and 1000D cordura, Cobra Buckles and stout thread and stitching. Like all of my TAB Gear, the Biathlon Sling is almost bomb proof.

Attached to my AW300
100_1594.jpg

100_1595.jpg

100_1597.jpg

100_1596.jpg

In the following pictures you notice the sling rides in the center of my back. It is important to have side attachment points so the rifle rides on your back via the non-bolt side. As it shows this is very comfortable and at no point do I feel as though the rifle would sway or fall to one side.
100_1582.jpg

100_1583.jpg

In the following pictures I am wearing body armor and a chest rig with the TAB Gear Biathlon Sling and utilizing a carbine. The AW rode fine with the additional shoulder straps of the armor and chest rig. I had no problems presenting the carbine from standing, seated, kneeling or squat. Though prone could be problematic. If you drop too fast or hard the biathlon slung weapon could bump the user in the head. Though it was minor since most of the slung weapons's mass is well below the shoulder blades.
100_1587.jpg

100_1588.jpg

With a little bit of practice a user can unsling and utilize a loop sling in less than ten seconds. I had some difficulty because it was about 15 degrees, my hands were cold and the glove dexterity could have been better. Either way I was impressed at the ease of getting the rifle from carry mode to on target.
100_1584.jpg

100_1585.jpg

Being able to go hands free or easily carry a heavy weapon in order to perform another task is priceless. I was concerned with the rifle shifting weight as I negotiated steep inclines but the TAB Gear Biathlon sling performed great. I went up and down some steep inclines gradually doing it faster and faster with almost no shifting of the rifle on my back and not once did I feel like the rifle was a hindrance. Try this with a typical sling on your bolt gun cross body or otherwise and the outcome will be different.
[img:left]http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y83/drew76000/100_1590.jpg[/img]
[img:left]http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y83/drew76000/100_1589-1.jpg[/img]
[img:left]http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y83/drew76000/100_1593.jpg[/img]
[img:left]http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y83/drew76000/100_1591.jpg[/img]

When utilizing the loop sling I found it no different than using my TAB Gear Sling or TAB Gear Elite Sling. The accuracy depends more on the shooter, ammo and weapon system than the sling but a good loop sling sure does help in alternate positions. The following are groups shot at 150 yards with the AW 300wm. Going from left to right: 5 shots from sitting (piece of cake), 8 shots from kneeling (the sling really came in handy here) and 8 shots standing (this was an ass kicker just because of the weight of the rifle though the loop sling made each shot much faster).
[img:left]http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y83/drew76000/100_1598.jpg[/img]

I fired about 80 rounds (all positional) at steel using the sling. Primarily I focused on variations of kneeling and paddy squat, getting into and out of the sling, engaging and slinging up and moving. I was shooting at an 8 inch steel plate at 100, 150, 200, 250 yards and never dropped a round. Solid fundamentals and a large target had a lot to do with it but the TAB Gear Biathlon sling allowed me to utilize a solid loop sling which allowed me to lock in with the rifle and minimize my muscular support.

Bottom line... TAB Gear has another outstanding piece of kit about to hit the market. If you work in an environment where you need to carry a a bolt gun and keep your hands free for other duties this is a piece of kit you need. My line of thinking is focused on the tactical side of things but being a deer hunter I know how big of a pain it is to drag an animal up and down hills with a long gun flopping across your back, I think this would be a great sling for hunters as well. The function, fit and construction on this sling is outstanding and I can't wait to field it some more.

Re: TAB Gear Biathlon Sling

Not sure why half the pics worked and the others didn't. Someone let me know if you click on the links and nothing happens.

I was looking for a sling exactly like this one, but I hoped it would be able to attach to regular QD studs. My savage BAS with PRS stock has side attachment points, but not like yours. Hmmmm....Nice looking rig IMO.

Thanks for the writeup Andrew, I'm glad you're liking how the sling is performing.

Waynea, like all TAB GEAR slings, we can install any swivel combination you would need to be able to use any of our slings. QD studs will not be a problem at all.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tburkes</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> like all TAB GEAR slings, we can install any swivel combination you would need to be able to use any of our slings. QD studs will not be a problem at all. </div></div>

Good to know!

What about availability(time frame), cost, color options, etc?

This will be nice for those of us attempting to carry heavier rigs afield.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lancer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
What about availability(time frame), cost, color options, etc?</div></div>

+1
Innovative and rocks!!

Got have one...do we order direct from you or use Rifles Only website.

Throw a TAB cover in with that and you are good to go.

Respectfully,

--KJ

Not up on the Rifles Only site yet! Give us some time. Tony is still working on pricing as well as building inventory. If you are interested in one you can pm me and I'll get you fixed up as soon as we have all of that info.
Lisa

That is Kick-F...ing-Ass right there!

Nice write-up w/pic's cowboy_bravo, thanks.

-Pat

I'd definitely keen for one!! lugging a 20lb rifle on long hunting trips with normal sling kill shoulders~

At the moment I'm waiting on Cobra buckles to come in. They should be here inside a week.

The price of the Cobra sling will be $200.00
The price of the Fastex buckle version will be $125.00

I've started a waiting list for the slings so I can keep people in line when the Cobra buckles get here, just hit me with a PM and I can put you on the list.

DAMNIT, just when I think I have an original idea, someone posts up pics of the same thing first.
I got my own personal one done in black last month, but am working on Mod 2 currently. Much cheaper, "seems" just as durable due to very high quality material, kevlar thread, 1000d Codura, Push Button QD swivels. Just waiting on more material, webbing, and buckles to show up to get it put together. dont want to HiJack the thread on an obviously great product, So I will just go make a quick post with my own pics in it. NICE WORK TAB

I love how it is a shooting sling and carry sling, I'll be getting one for my build soon

We've also developed a simpler model that is purely a biathlon sling, no shooting loop in it, just shoulder straps. It's still made out of the 1 1/2" webbing at the sling Andrew showed above, it just doesn't have the loop to allow the shooter to get slung up like a regular TAB GEAR sling.

The pricing on the simple biathlon sling will run:

Flush Cup swivels $80.00.
HK Hooks $75.00
HD Swivels $70.00

Pictures of this sling will be up shortly

In case anyone is interested, I own the AI version and this TAB version looks more substantial/better from what I can see.. I really like the idea of the integral arm loop.. that's a winner..

One thing I have found with using a Biathlon sling is that my scope does dig in my back a little.. so all you guys with 17lb rifles thinking about a purchase consider a TAB scope cover also..

RJ

Great right up and a killer sling!!

Had the chance to play with it at the show and it is another top notch sling to the TAB line!!

Tony has quickly become the leader in sling developement and design.

Job well done!

well som-bitch I think I will have to get one. hopefully they will be ready to ship when I get the flush cups intalled on my stock.
The more TAB gear stuff I get the more I want to order.

After listening to the request from several guys, Chiller here being one of them, and reevaluating the feasibility of doing so, we're going to modify the design of the sling so the user can easily change out the swivels to allow the sling to be used on multiple weapon systems.

This will allow us or the user to custom fit the biathlon sling to his weapon without having to buy multiple slings for each type of swivel on the market. This modification will allow us to continue to say that there's not rifle that we've seen yet that we can't put a TAB GEAR sling on.

As always, we really appreciate input and suggestions from the end user to help us make a product that is as good as it can be.

55bc06d5.jpg

933ac189.jpg

Got my TAB biathlon sling from Tony at last SHOT, the sling is really well done & bombproof , Tony you have done an outstanding work developing the concept we talked about some months ago .

PP out

Been looking for one of these. Love it.

Any definite date when these will be available? I wanna order some other stuff from you guys but I'm waiting on the sling.

I have all the parts in house now and have begun making the biathlon slings that have been ordered or for people who are on the waiting list.

If you've contacted Lisa about getting on the waiting list you can get ahold of her to arrange payment.

At this time I don't have an inventory of the slings built up, so it's taking a few days to get each one of them built and out the door.

The response has been outstanding on these slings, thanks a lot to all you guys who continue to support TAB GEAR.

Just place my order with Lisa. Looking forward to using this piece of equipment!

Had to bring this back to the fore...
Question,
In deploying the rifle from the carry position what meathod was found to be the quickest? It looks like the shoulder straps are snug (should be) so does the sling bind up any or do you feel constricted trying to wrestle it off if your in a hurry? I've tried to see how the biathlon folks do it, but I don't think they're carrying 17-20lb. rifles

Man, I gotta get one of these with a cover!!

OMG
I have long wanted someone to do this, actually thought about just trying to locate a Biathlon sling

nice one

looks great but seems like the cost will be the limiting factor for me, guess it'll be 782 gear and some stitching for me.

I received my TAB biathlon sling last week. I ordered it because I carry my rifle while I xcountry ski and I also sometimes ski in to get to some of my coyote hunting spots. I was impressed with the sling as soon as I opened the package. I skied with it for 1.5 hours on Friday and it was great. It was so good I decided I would use it to carry my shotgun while we hunted coyotes w the dogs on Sunday. Anyone who has done this has some idea of the amount of ground you can cover in a ten hour day of hunting. It really improved my day. With all of the hiking over tough terrain and in deep snow, it was much better than a one-sided sling. We often sling our guns over our heads when the going is tough but if you do need to make a quick shot, it is tough to get the gun around. This is completely solved with the biathlon sling. It has more stability and comfort than slinging overhead and your access is just as quick as a one-sided shoulder sling. Thanks Tony!

Back for one more return engagement...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SFree</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Had to bring this back to the fore...
Question,
In deploying the rifle from the carry position what meathod was found to be the quickest? It looks like the shoulder straps are snug (should be) so does the sling bind up any or do you feel constricted trying to wrestle it off if your in a hurry? I've tried to see how the biathlon folks do it, but I don't think they're carrying 17-20lb. rifles

Man, I gotta get one of these with a cover!!</div></div>

SFree, Sorry I missed your question...

There are two buckles on the lower 1/3 of the carry strap. These are easy to access and loosen or tighten very easy. So as the sling is snug for carry it only takes a second to loosen up one side and slip right out of the sling and into a firing platform.

Thanks C Bravo
Did'nt see the buckles in your pics, but the buckles make sense. Thanks for the great review!

Soooooo that's how that works. Time to play.

Any tutorials for the new TAB (Elite?) slings?

Cheers,

Doc

Tony Builds Great stuff, I think I have one of everything he makes.

Just ordered two from Lisa. One with HK Hooks for the AICS and one with Flush Cups for the A-5.

Thanks, cowboy_bravo for an outstanding review.

Looking forward to trying your gear, Tony. Looks like top level work.

Thanks, Lisa. Nice chatting with you.

Got mine in the other day. Came with the arm sling option. Will probably have to have another. It may very well become my standard sling. Yep, I like it that much.

As far as unslinging the rifle, you can grab the bottom of the shoulder stock (as long as you have it set for barrel up) and lift and let slide to slightly to one side and that will give you ample room to unsling... but thats without a coat on. That was my first attempt at playing, adjusting and getting used to the biathlon.

Haven't tried unbuckling. Might be a quicker way to dismount. Will have to try it.