• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Tab Gear PRS Sling opinions

Viper1973

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Mar 29, 2013
Southeastern Indiana
Guys,

I've recently developed an interest in long-range shooting. Up until this time I've been and AR/AK nerd. In trying to put kit together I've decided I now am in need of a sling. I also realized that the AXMC is not a 'lite' rifle in any configuration.

For my AR's I've always used the BFG padded Vicker's slings and have really good luck with them. I was going to go that route on the AI. But after trying one of my existing slings for a few minutes.... bad idea.... very bad idea. I was convinced that at any second my rifle was going to crash muzzle first. It was like trying to hold up a bowling ball with dental floss. I realized that I would be better off getting something specifically designed to do what I need.

After doing some research I landed on the Tab Gear PRS sling. However, I'm stuck on which version (fastex or cobra).

From the folks here on the Hide who have and use this particular sling, what is your preference? Which version did you choose and why?

Any recommendation would be most appreciated.

Reactions: Sig Marine
I'm running the TAB gear PRS with Cobra.

I like the sling a lot.

I think you will find there are some who prefer a bungee style to aid in stability when shooting, however, the quality of the TAB PRS and the function of the Cobra buckles has been perfect for my mission.

I went with fastex buckles on my sling. Didn't want the cobra buckles banging around all over the rifle/optic. I imagine in extreme situations the cobra buckles will be more durable but I've been happy with fastex. Can't go wrong either way.

I've used the tab gear prs for a couple years. While I dont use it as much as some its held up well for me. I do practice with it quite a bit. Its built very stout. Has a bunch of configurations that it can be used. Cobra buckles are nice. I dnt think you can go wrong with that or any of the higher end slings.

Didn't want the cobra buckles banging around all over the rifle/optic.

That’s one of my concerns with the cobras. Rather it’s a legitimate issue or not I’m hoping you guys can tell me. I also have concerns if the fastex is heavy duty enough to handle the weight of a loaded AXMC.

Given what I’ve invested dollar-wise I don’t want to send it crashing to the ground but I also don’t want it looking like crap and dinged up all over.

Being new to all of this Im Sure you guys push you’re gear way harder than I will initially. So I’m relying on you to steer me in the right direction so I don’t set myself up for problems or preventable regrets.

The Rifles Only FTW sling is very well designed and well made. I used mine at the Raton Sporting rifle match. I think it would take a lot to break the polymer buckles they are rated to 500 Lbs.

The Rifles Only FTW sling is very well designed and well made. I used mine at the Raton Sporting rifle match. I think it would take a lot to break the polymer buckles they are rated to 500 Lbs.

I was looking at that one... it uses a polymer cobra style buckle. I’m not sure though if the standard fastex style are also that sturdy.

I have two, one with fastex and one with cobra buckles. I like them both, but feel a bit more secure running the metal cobra buckles on a 16+ pound rifle. I Haven't noticed any scuffs or scratches from the metal buckles.

Went through the same process when I recently ordered my TAB gear PRS sling (which should be arriving tomorrow). The fastex buckles can take alot more than you think they will. Did some research, break strength is something like 95lbs for standard side release buckles. And I'm pretty sure the buckles used by TAB are bigger/stronger than the one in the test I watched. As I don't intend to try and hang my own weight off this sling, I went with the fastex to save weight and money. But I will also admit, the cobra buckles are damn sexy and really tempting none the less.

The video on side release buckle strength: Buckle and Webbing Tension Test

The TAB PRS sling is pretty great. Like someone else said, the cobra buckles are sturdy, but yes, they can bang around and leave marks on the rifle if you're not careful. Many people don't mind the "battle scars" I suppose, but my mentality was like yours. I settled on the fastex buckles after much deliberation and couldn't be happier, so far. More time may tell a different story, but the fastex buckles have easily handled my AXMC regardless of what's been mounted on it.

IMO, go for the fastex connectors since you're concerned about dings. You'll still love the sling!

Rest easy with either one you choose. Tony would NOT use anything that would jepordize the quality of his product. I have used both types and prefer the Fastex on a sling.

Reactions: Stpilot12
The PRS sling is great, highly recommend it. As for the buckles - I chose cobra, and I use the QD attachment. If I'm not using the sling for supported shooting or carrying, I simply pop the sling off so the buckles wont be flopping around.

To add to what I said above. If you call Tony I bet he would be willing to use the Cobra GT (Polymer)

I dont see the point but if the metal worries you that's the best solution.

Reactions: Isuiy13
My TAB slings all work fine , once adjusted correctly . The Cobra buckles just seem to get better with
use , the ones with Fastex buckles are fine , a bit lighter but I prefer the Cobra buckles .

The PRS sling is great, highly recommend it. As for the buckles - I chose cobra, and I use the QD attachment. If I'm not using the sling for supported shooting or carrying, I simply pop the sling off so the buckles wont be flopping around.

Same here.

I just have the boring plain version but it has the plastic buckles and I think they are just fine. Unless you’re going cliffhanger style and hanging from the sling over a cliffs edge how much better could you need?

Reactions: RaptorAddict
I really liked the PRS sling up until I started shooting sling supported positions. I haven’t been able to adjust it to where the buckles don’t dig into my hand and just generally make sling supported position suck.

Fastex buckles hold together all kinds of SCUBA gear including many of the buoyancy compensators (which carry the weight of the air tank) on the market.

They'll be fine on a 16 lb rifle.

The Fastex buckles will hold up just fine for your sixteen pound rifle. We do sell way more Cobra buckles than the Fastex buckles but the Fastex will serve you just fine. If I remember correctly the 1.5" Fastex buckles are rated to about 250 pounds.

Thanks a lot for your interest in our products and thank you to all you guys who are using our gear, we appreciate it.

I have TAB PRS on a .308, and RiflesOnly FTW on a .300wm, both great slings, two totally different weapons. I thoroughly enjoy both, but not on the opposite rifle. Each just seemed to fit the bill for each weapon. FTW has cobras, TAB has fastex. I've never come unhooked from either without user input.

Reactions: Isuiy13
Everyone,

Thank you so much for the feedback. I ended up going with the cobra version. So far, I’ve been extremely impressed with everything I’ve purchased made by TabGear. I’m actually anxious to try the PRS out.

Reactions: texag0842