• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

tab gear vs triad . open top pouches for ai mags ?

forrestgump01

Once a deplorable, always a deplorable!
Minuteman
  • Nov 6, 2013
    Georgia
    So who runs pouches for the ai mags . Do you prefer the triad or the tab gear . I see the tab gear are more expensive.
    Also what are you thoughts on the triad open top verses the closed top with buckles.

I have two of the Triad pouches and they are quite good. I can't seem to manage to reholster a mag with one hand though, they fit very tight. I'm going to be running a gas gun and while you can get a pmag in the Triad pouches they weren't designed to and its not a functional fit. Going to pick up a pair of TAB pouches next

I have two of the Triad closed top pouches that I run on my call out gear, and have used at a John McPhee class. FYI I only run one mag per pouch. They work for me, I don't have to look in the dark for any missing mags, and they offer reasonable protection to the enclosed magazines. If you are planning on using them for competition, tho, I would think one of the kydex pouches would be faster.

HSGI Taco work also. I prefer them as my battle belt setup can be run for M4 mags / 308 PMAGs / or AI Short action mags. On the spendy side and a kind of a PITA to get on your belt or vest molle but once setup they rock. A true buy once cry once item.

Open Top from TAB or Triad? I'll leave it at two major differences:

1. The depth of the pouch(how deep the mag sits) is adjustable on the TAB pouch. This means it will work well with either 5 or 10 rounds mags. The current Triad pouch is not adjustable in this manner (we looked at it in the past, but did not like the trade off in cost).
    Triad Tactical, Inc. :: TAB Gear :: TAB Gear Short Action Mag Pouch.

2. The Triad pouch costs less than half of the TAB, but is not adjustable. The Triad pouch is offered for long or short action mags.
    Triad Tactical, Inc. :: Triad Tactical :: All Triad Magazine Pouches :: Triad Open Top Magazine Pouch

All of the Triad pouches, open top or otherwise are listed here:
    Triad Tactical, Inc. :: Triad Tactical :: All Triad Magazine Pouches

Last edited:
    Some additional information on the TAB GEAR pouches.

1. The mouth is reinforced with stiff webbing inside to help maintain the opening, this makes it easy to insert a mag into an empty pouch with one hand.

2. The "short shelf"' that raises the bottom of the pouch for short mags is built into the pouch, no more lost foam, padding etc. when you have your mag out and are moving.

3. The PALS webbing on the back is sewn in in such a way that allows you to run your belt behind the webbing should you want to move without a battle belt type setup.

4. Like Triad's pouches you can stack ours too.

5. Can hold everything from a 5 round AI mag to a 20 round 7.62 mag and not have to change or modify pouches.

We made the decision to try to make the best pouch we could and let the cost be what it is, with our standard lifetime warranty and the customer determines what that lifetime is.

Enjoy whatever you choose.

Bot Steve and Tony are good friends to me , both have outstanding products but in this case my choice is for the closed top pouch simply because I do not feel safe with open top pouches while I'm stalking , crawling , climbing and so on .

Just my € 0.2

PP out

pick your poison. I have some of each and they both work great and get the job done. I do prefer the Triad open tip to their closed though.

Thanks for the input guys. I decided to go with the hsgi tacos because they work with a variety of mags and can use them for dual purpose , AI mags on a belt for precision rifle or AR-15 mags on a chest rig.I am really pleased with the tacos so far.

I just purchased three mag pouches from Tactical Tailor and it was worth it. Less expensive than Tab Gear, same high quality at a 1/3rd of the price. I paid $15 a piece versus $45 for single pouch from Tab Gear. No, downplay to Tab Gear, they make some nice products, but I like Tactical Tailor more, plus the pouches came with molle mounting tabs for no extra charge with each pouch. The pouches fit upto 10 round AICS mags as well as the AW mags.

Just my two cents on the subject. I am very happy with my purchase and will use Tactical Tailor again.

IntelOps, not trying to run down your purchase on gear at all because Tactical Tailor does make good gear, but comparing our pouch to the TT pouch is like comparing apples and Kiwi fruit. I have a feeling you've never held a SAMP in your hand, enjoy your purchase. Just fyi, our mag pouches also come with the same Malice Clips that the TT pouch comes with, at no extra charge too.

When the main benchmark of comparison is cheap price, we realize our products aren't for everyone, that's okay.

Does anyone know if the TAB Gear pouches ever go on sale anywhere? I would like to pick up a couple as I am impressed with the features and build quality, but the price is really steep.

I'm sure the Triad product is very good. I have some of their stuff and it works well for me.

However, the one handed operation of the TAB pouch is huge for competition use. Also, internal adjustment is helpful because it's one fewer thing that can go wrong.

If I can't get the TAB for a little less I may just go with the Triad because it's priced right.

Triad is top notch

Have both and have time in with the TAB pouches now. The TABs are more expensive but worth it IMO. You can reholster a mag one handed with ease and you can adjust the depth for different mags.

Good morning guys, we are bringing more production on line and I would estimate that within about two to three weeks we will have about 500 mag pouches ready for shipment. Good things are happening at TAB GEAR right now.

Thanks a lot for your business.

I'm sure the Triad product is very good. I have some of their stuff and it works well for me.

However, the one handed operation of the TAB pouch is huge for competition use. Also, internal adjustment is helpful because it's one fewer thing that can go wrong.

If I can't get the TAB for a little less I may just go with the Triad because it's priced right.

If I can't TAB gear, I just go with out.......

If I can't TAB gear, I just go with out.......

That's almost a dos equis saying...

Tab-Meme.jpg

Thanks for the vote of confidence gentlemen, we appreciate it.

LawnMM, that is AWESOME my friend!!!

Can I use that please?

PM me your mailing address please, I'm sending you a hat for that.

Never used the TAB but sure looks good and I like the ability to run 20 rd mags in it as well.

I have used Triads for a few years and they work well and price is great